Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
pbo. I always wonder. what is the big circle int he middle for?
and you have to remove the matte original to put the focusing screen on right? How come it seems you still have AF brackets there?
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
That's a reference circle for, if I'm not mistaken, Nikon's center-weighted metering area.
And that's not a shot through my viewfinder - I just merged two pictures, one from focusingscreen.com, one from here to show about where the focus points lie w.r.t. grids, circles, etc.
So , ehm, I forgot to erase those focus brackets

Hmm. reference circle? Thats the split focusing area. If the top half matches the bottom half, its in focus. More for manual focusing. Google Split Focus screen.

My Pentax P3 has this.

11-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -Joe- Quote
Hmm. reference circle? Thats the split focusing area. If the top half matches the bottom half, its in focus. More for manual focusing. Google Split Focus screen.

My Pentax P3 has this.
Exactly! I have a 'Katz Eye' screen for my K10D that looks like this:

A must for manual focus lenses and old eyes like mine.

Thanks for all the info, everyone!
11-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
pbo
Veteran Member

I think he meant the big circle. Which is not split focusing area.
BTW microprism is much more useful and accurate than split area I kinda wish there was a screen with a decent big blotch of microprism in the center
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just put my old k20d focus screen into the kx, wasnt too hard and works perfectly.

at low f, it looks in focus in the screen and comes out in perfect focus in the photos.

just used the existing shim and a ebay cheap split prism focus screen!

12-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I think he meant the big circle. Which is not split focusing area.
BTW microprism is much more useful and accurate than split area I kinda wish there was a screen with a decent big blotch of microprism in the center
yes i meant the big circle! thanks for explaining! I totally forgot to catch up on this thread!
Now maybe I will get one from Focusingscreen.com
AFAIK the screen does not mess up autofocus, nor really change the brightness on normal bayonet K-lens right? it's only dark if you are using M42 correct?

I couldnt bear with guessimating especailly the K-x's focus pointer is just plain insensitive.
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Just put my old k20d focus screen into the kx, wasnt too hard and works perfectly.

at low f, it looks in focus in the screen and comes out in perfect focus in the photos.

just used the existing shim and a ebay cheap split prism focus screen!
which dealer you bought from? if you dont mind sharing? =D
I dont want to get the wrong one and cry over it.
12-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

generic ebay one that came with the tools to change it.

its been working perfectly for 5 days now with the k20d focus screen.. except i have a hair stuck behind it but that does not affect the photos

12-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #23
Inactive Account

generic ebay one that came with the tools to change it.

its been working perfectly for 5 days now with the k20d focus screen.. except i have a hair stuck behind it but that does not affect the photos
so you bought a ebay one for your k20d, and used the k20d screen on your k-x? is that right? how's the ebay one? any good? thinking of buying the k-m version from ebay to install in my k-x..
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #24

katz eye now has the k-x split screen focus, just checked it a couple of days ago
12-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

focus screen from my k20d is working great, has been working great for weeks now.

I bought a generic ebay one with tools to replace your k20d screen, and when i sold my k20d i took it out of there and put it into my kx, no dramas.

Never had a kat eye or anything besides cheap ebay screen and they work just fine, no issues with black out etc but i only have fast glass.
01-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #26

focus screen from my k20d is working great, has been working great for weeks now.

I bought a generic ebay one with tools to replace your k20d screen, and when i sold my k20d i took it out of there and put it into my kx, no dramas.

Never had a kat eye or anything besides cheap ebay screen and they work just fine, no issues with black out etc but i only have fast glass.
thanks for your information
01-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I would really like to upgrade from the K10D but in no way can I afford a K-7.
The K-X seemed like a reasonable alternative.
K10D -> K-x is not a real upgrade. You win some, you lose some.
02-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Hello,

i'm new in this forum (found this thread over google) and i got a question about it:

i've already read, that the Km focusing screen fits without problems into the k-x without changing or modifying it. I have even read, the k100/k200 and k10/k20 fs fits too but have to be modified, is this correct?

Why i am asking for: i wanted to order two focusing screens (for my k20d and K-x) from focusingscreen.com but the EC-L (+ grid) screens. And it seems to be, that the shop will not get some any more for the K20D and the K-x. But there is an EC-L (without grid) for the K2000 and i don't know, if it fits correctly and without problems into the K-x (if it's even fits into the K20D it would be superb) or not.

Or does somebody know, if fs for other manufacturers like canon/nikon fits, too?

I hope, somebody could help me out xD.

Greetings from germany
02-14-2010, 01:53 AM   #29

I had a K100 and I changed the focusing screen of the K100 by one focusing screen of ist-DS and it is compatible, therefore I suppose that the one of the ist-DS is compatible with the K-x, I ordered a focusing screen LL-60 of ist-DS, I will tell you if it is compatible.
02-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #30

IstD focus screen

I just upgraded to Kx from IstD. I had a split focus screen inserted in IstD. Does anybody know if it still can be used for Kx?

Thanx