Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
For those of you who have the katz eye, is the viewfinder noticeably brighter? I'm finding the centre spot hard to find on my k-x in low light settings...

02-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Here is a good forum post by a user on DPReview lamenting the screwy metering after putting in the Katzeye. He ended up replacing it with the original screen. However, he does note that the Katzeye is noticeably brighter.

I'm still interested in a manual focusing screen. The Katzeye seems the best but is grossly overpriced at $100-155. The FocusingScreen selection is slightly cheaper but I'm not sure how it's superior to the $20 ones offered on Ebay.

Here's a great list of different types of focusing screens available (please scroll down).

Here are the available Ebay ones. Both are the same price, only difference vertical vs horizontal splits.
Option 1
Option 2

I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get the Ebay one. Any thoughts?
02-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which one of these would you suggest for the K-x, and how hard is it to replace the factory one? Is there a real benefit? What I miss most is the on-screen focus indicator and the ability to shift the focus point on screen.

Focusing Screen
02-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
How hard is it to replace the factory one?
Here is a video tutorial on how to change the screen. It should give you an idea of whether or not it's something you're capable of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
Which one of these would you suggest for the K-x
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Here's a great list of different types of focusing screens available (please scroll down).
Please check the link I posted above, it shows you a live example of each screen when you scroll down. I personally prefer FSB and FSX as they give you two indicators (microprism + split image) of correct focus without being overly distracting. F6-J and F6-A also look great if you only need a single indicator. I find guide lines and grids distracting and often useless.

QuoteQuote:
Is there a real benefit?
If you use manual focusing lenses like the SMC or Takumars, yes; there are huge benefits. I'm disappointed that modern DSLRs have done away with these indicators. Many photographers still use MF and need confirmation that AF is correct and on target.

QuoteQuote:
What I miss most is the on-screen focus indicator and the ability to shift the focus point on screen.
The KX lack on screen focus points, so you're not missing anything. If you must have the group brackets that surround the AF points, Katzeye offers a version with that. But it costs ~$150.

02-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Difference between FSX and FSB? Focusing Screen Quite interested in both.
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

K-x works great with manual lenses

The old A and M42 lenses work great with the K-x. The huge ISO range is fantastic in low light.

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Okay - so there is still a glimmer of hope!
However, I have a lot of MF lenses (Voigtlander's) that I will not give up.
02-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Difference between FSX and FSB? Focusing Screen Quite interested in both.
Once again, you can simply click on the link I posted and scroll down to see the difference for yourself.

Only difference is in the prism texture.

02-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

When you say 'existing shim,' you're talking about the one already in the K-x, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Just put my old k20d focus screen into the kx, wasnt too hard and works perfectly.

at low f, it looks in focus in the screen and comes out in perfect focus in the photos.

just used the existing shim and a ebay cheap split prism focus screen!

02-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #39
Veteran Member

M42 / K-x Viewfinder Brightness

I threw some M42 lenses on the K-x, and even a 135mm M42 on the end of a Honeywell-Pentax bellows. Once I opened the aperture fully, it was plenty bright for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by AMBIVALENCE Quote
it's only dark if you are using M42 correct?

I couldnt bear with guessimating especailly the K-x's focus pointer is just plain insensitive.
02-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

K10D Changing your focusing screen

Youtube video on changing focusing screen on K10D:

YouTube - K10D Changing your focusing screen.
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

In French, but good visual tutorial:

YouTube - Changer le dépoli du Pentax K10D
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Focusing Screen Replacement Instructions

Check this out:

PENTAX K100D/K200D/K-M/K2000D/K-X Focusing Screen Installation Instruction

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I've tried searching the topic but found little.

Can anyone tell me if the focus screen on the K-X is replacable?

Katz-eye doesn't list one for the K-X.

Thanks.
03-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #43
Inactive Account

I just bought a K2000 focusing screen (same as the kx, btw) and put it in on Saturday from focusingscreen.com
The directions are on their site on how to replace it. It's not that hard for this camera as all you REALLY have to do is use the metal tweezers they supply in the box for you to press a clip. The 'frame' holding the screen then pops out.
The only trouble I had was figuring out the right combination of shims to make the focus correct.
1 metal one comes with the camera under your screen.
2 plastic shims came with the screen.
After I replaced the screen and the lens. I used the newspaper trick to check the accuracy. It was off.
I went back to the website and there was an article about what to do about this.
The box also supplies you with 2 plastic shims. I tried every combination, but what seemed to work for me was the 2 plastic shims by themselves under the screen.

2 sidenotes:
-I put a little scratch in the focusing screen because I was taking it in and out of the camera so often, I got cocky. Bottom corner, no big deal.
-The top to bottom focus is spot on now, but the center is a little to the left of my ACTUAL subject.
I didn't put the old screen back in to see if this is how it always was, as it's really miniscule and I think if it REALLY mattered a crop would handle it in PP.
03-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #44

I am kinda OCD about my focus screens. I have several because I kept buying new ones to try a different variation of katz eye or split prism. Also once they would get any dust on them, I would try to clean them with a dust blower to no effect. Up until recently I would just live with it as long as I could and then buy a new screen to replace it.

Now I realize you can clean the focus screens with dish soap and water and contrary to many beliefs they are actually fairly rugged. I can scrub them decently with a light brush or soft cloth to get the dust off and dry them with compressed air. It is usually the tweezers tool you will use or the screen bouncing off the screen frame that causes scratches on it.

As far as compatibility goes, I do know that the LL-60 (which I believe was original out of an *ist D) will fit in the K-x (with the shim). Also the L90 will fit (I think this is what the K-x comes with in it) and I have also used the actual Katzeye brands (they work great). Lastly, I have also used focus screens from ebay. Procamerarepair (from San Diego) sells real Pentax replacement focus screens for $25 on ebay : eBay My World - procamerarepair and they are a pleasure to deal with but you do not get the tweezers tool with it. The other screens I used were the cheap single and double 45 degree split image focus screens from Link Delight on ebay :
eBay My World - link-delight-na
They actually send you 2 pairs of tweezers tools to do the switch and some finger condoms to keep your greasy fingers from impregnating the screens.

All of the focus screens i have used have fit the K-x. I know that screens made for the K-7 will NOT fit but I think just about any other DSLR screen made by Pentax will and most of the cheap generic ones I have tried have worked fine. My favorites so far have been the original Katzeye and the cheap (single and double) 45 degree split image screens. They make working with manual focus lenses or macro work so much easier. Also, if you do a lot of vertical shooting with your camera upright, you should like the 45 degree screens as they remain 45 degrees when you turn your camera 90 degrees.

The only other thing I will say is the screens are not all backwards compatible. What I mean, is I tried to put a L90 (stock from my K-x), and a couple cheap ones back in the *ist D camera and they would not fit. Also there was never a shim in the *ist D camera but it requires screens that are slightly smaller than most other Pentax DSLR cameras.

My advice to anyone wanting to replace the stock K-x screen is to get one of the cheap ones on ebay. I can not tell much (if any) difference in quality to the Katzeye for 5 times the price. Just be sure to get one that has some kind of tools for you to use. You need something to hold the lens tightly by the tab (like locking tweezers) so the screen doesn't get scratched from having a bad grip and letting it hit the frame when removing or replacing the screen. It is not extremely difficult but I would not say it is super easy. Try to do it in a dust-free location. It usually takes me 2-3 times of replacing the screen and blowing it off to finally get it clean. They are dust magnets!

Hope that cleared some questions up for some of you. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

-Jason
03-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #45

Thanks for the info JP. Have you noticed any issues with metering with the eBay screens?