Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #46
Inactive Account

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93335-kx-focusing-screen.html

some images of the differnt screens.

03-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought this DIY focusing screen tutorial was hilarious.

Just received my $20 focusing screen from Ebay Hong Kong. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
1) Cheap; $20
2) Bright
3) Works well

Cons:
1) Slow shipping; more than 2 weeks to NYC, that's expected I guess
2) Crappy tools, the metal tweezer can very easily scratch the focusing screen, the plastic one broke
3) Crappy instructions, pretty much had to figure everything out on my own
4) The focusing screen has very mild stains on it. Not noticeable when a lens is attached but it looks like a water drop got on it.

Edit: WOW, had to make +80 adjustment in the AF debugging screen, possibly 90 to be on the safe side. Check the link here if you ever use the split prism focusing screen, they always need calibrating.
5) Did not come with shims, right now it is front focusing by a tiny bit, will have to calibrate with my own shims.

I'm dissatisfied enough to complain to the seller for selling me one that has mild stains on it. HOWEVER, for $20, the value is extremely good compared to the $100 Katzeye focusing screen. There's absolutely no reason to pay $100 for something that can be had for $20. I would buy again in a heart beat.

Last edited by hangu; 03-15-2010 at 10:17 PM.
03-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote

Edit: WOW, had to make +80 adjustment in the AF debugging screen, possibly 90 to be on the safe side. Check the link here if you ever use the split prism focusing screen, they always need calibrating.

AFAIK, AF adjustment has nothing to do w/ the focusing screen you installed.

I got the Taiwan focusingscreen in my K7, the split is just a tad bit off. Can't put another shim on top of the screen 'cause it's gonna make the focusing even worse. Probably should take out the existing shim and put in a thinner one ...
03-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I suspected as much after playing around with it for an hour. Thanks for confirming it. Although, I can't say I'm entirely happy about the focus indicator, I feel that's off by a bit at times. Do you think the Katzeye one will not have th same problem?

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

I got the Taiwan focusingscreen in my K7, the split is just a tad bit off. Can't put another shim on top of the screen 'cause it's gonna make the focusing even worse. Probably should take out the existing shim and put in a thinner one ...

03-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I suspected as much after playing around with it for an hour. Thanks for confirming it. Although, I can't say I'm entirely happy about the focus indicator, I feel that's off by a bit at times. Do you think the Katzeye one will not have th same problem?
As I said before, the focusing screen doesn't play any role in auto focusing. It doesn't matter which screen you install. You can use your camera in AF even w/o the focusing screen installed.

So no, the Katzeye screen won't help you at all in AF (the focusing indicator). It only helps for manual focus.
03-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

i got the same small problem with katzeye and my k-7(it's a little front focusing). however i went to local pentax service and ordered a collection of original shims for 20$, i hope there won't be much of an isue to calibrate it.
03-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #52
Inactive Account

I use a different method than he shows in the video, mainly to avoid the sharp knife slipping.
But it is easy to experiment with different types of screens. I can pick up junk cameras at the fleamarket.
03-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I installed a split image screen (from china) on my KM and after playing with shims it works well with my manual lenses. I also use it as a AF conformation to make sure the camera picked the focus point I wanted.

03-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #54

I recently tried to "clean" my not dirty at all mirror + focus screen. Now its got some dust and some sort of "hair" AAARGH! it's ultimately annoying.

I don't have the special tweezers, any suggestion on how I can remove the focusing screen so I can wash them?
03-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheEstablishment Quote
Thanks for the info JP. Have you noticed any issues with metering with the eBay screens?
I used one for a while. Metering was fine................until I tried to use either of my 2 flashes on it (a 360 and a 540). Auto worked fine, but P-TTL would underexpose by a minimum of 3 or 4 stops.
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #56
Veteran Member

This thread encourages me to stay with the stock K-x focusing screen. A little too much confusion for me.
04-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #57

i think it shares the same focus screen with km
04-08-2010, 04:13 AM   #58

Am tempted to try one as am having trouble focusing with my manual lenses but the process / video does seem a bit daunting.

Read through this post but am having some difficulty understanding the "shims" part - I thought it was just replacing the focus screens - what's with the "shims" again, briefly ?
04-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Correct, it's not intended to be user-replaceable.
The screens can be replaced . . .
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The screens can be replaced . . .
If you'd read just two posts further down the page before replying, you'd have seen that I was alerted to that five months ago, and apologized for the mistake at the time. (Nowhere in the user manual or their websites does Pentax note that the K-x/K-m screens are interchangeable).