Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #1

K10D Back From Pentax

Hi Gang:

Well, I got my K10D back from Pentax Repair in Colorado. The autofocus problem (see my post of 4/22/07) has been fixed and everything else seems ok. Which is a miracle considering the condition the box was in. Camera was returned by UPS and the box looked like it was run over by a truck. Also, it obviously had been ripped open at some point and resealed. The label did not show the origin as in Colorado but rather someplace here in New York called UPS Overgoods, whatever that is. Additionally, the package arrived a day late and with a different tracking number on the box.

I wonder if the box was the one Pentax shipped the camera in. Instead of the usual bubble wrap/peanuts protecting the camera, there was just some brown paper stuffed in the box. I find it hard to believe Pentax would ship it that way but perhaps I'm wrong. By the way, I also received a package from the vendor in Florida I buy my Epson inks from the same day and that box was in a similar state.

When I have a choice, I always use Fedex Priority and have never had a problem. Expensive but I think it's worth the extra money. For example, I ordered a Pentax 70mm DA Limited lens yesterday from B&H and it arrived this morning. The box was in pristine condition. Of course, it didn't travel across the country but that shouldn't matter.

I realize that damage or loss can happen with any carrier. But in my experience over the years, it seems that UPS is the worst. Or maybe it's just what happens to their packages when they get to New York.

In a way, I guess this incident can be viewed as a testament to the ruggedness of the K10D body. But if I ever have to have one of my bodies serviced, I hope PhotoTech here in New York gets up to speed and finally "is trained on the K10D".

Richard

06-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is the FBI! they need to open every mail and package to check if u are a terrorist~ :P
06-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's nice to see it working properly Richard.

If I have a choice I get UPS to deliver my goods, but that's because Fed-EX always takes their sweet time getting anything to my delivery town. Often 3 or 4 days later than they say it'll take
06-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my K110D came back from Pentax Colorado the packing was fine. I had sent it in the original black box inside of a larger box with padding. Pentax sent it back in the same black box but new outside box.

As to UPS vs Fedex that seems to be subjective, there are people who insist on one or the other. I don't have problems with either one. The damaged goods we have received have usually been the shippers fault.

06-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It's nice to see it working properly Richard.

If I have a choice I get UPS to deliver my goods, but that's because Fed-EX always takes their sweet time getting anything to my delivery town. Often 3 or 4 days later than they say it'll take
That's funny 'cause I find UPS down here in Vancouver to be the sweet time wasters. And if it's coming from the States I find them to not only be slow but also the same or even more $, for poorer service.
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
When my K110D came back from Pentax Colorado the packing was fine. I had sent it in the original black box inside of a larger box with padding. Pentax sent it back in the same black box but new outside box.

As to UPS vs Fedex that seems to be subjective, there are people who insist on one or the other. I don't have problems with either one. The damaged goods we have received have usually been the shippers fault.
I didn't use the original black box but rather the "bubble sleeve" the body came in. Then I stuck it in the middle of a bunch of "peanuts" that were surrounded by bubble wrap. I didn't expect them to use the same outside box.

How was your K110D packed? Peanuts, bubble wrap, or something else?

Richard
06-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
That's funny 'cause I find UPS down here in Vancouver to be the sweet time wasters. And if it's coming from the States I find them to not only be slow but also the same or even more $, for poorer service.
I never get anything shipped through the border. I get everything shipped to Curlew Wa and pick it up from there.

UPS delivers there every day, however I think that Fed-Ex misses the odd day here and there because of it being a small out of the way town

06-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Hi Gang:

Well, I got my K10D back from Pentax Repair in Colorado. The autofocus problem (see my post of 4/22/07) has been fixed and everything else seems ok. Which is a miracle considering the condition the box was in. Camera was returned by UPS and the box looked like it was run over by a truck. Also, it obviously had been ripped open at some point and resealed. The label did not show the origin as in Colorado but rather someplace here in New York called UPS Overgoods, whatever that is. Additionally, the package arrived a day late and with a different tracking number on the box.

I wonder if the box was the one Pentax shipped the camera in. Instead of the usual bubble wrap/peanuts protecting the camera, there was just some brown paper stuffed in the box. I find it hard to believe Pentax would ship it that way but perhaps I'm wrong. By the way, I also received a package from the vendor in Florida I buy my Epson inks from the same day and that box was in a similar state.

When I have a choice, I always use Fedex Priority and have never had a problem. Expensive but I think it's worth the extra money. For example, I ordered a Pentax 70mm DA Limited lens yesterday from B&H and it arrived this morning. The box was in pristine condition. Of course, it didn't travel across the country but that shouldn't matter.

I realize that damage or loss can happen with any carrier. But in my experience over the years, it seems that UPS is the worst. Or maybe it's just what happens to their packages when they get to New York.

In a way, I guess this incident can be viewed as a testament to the ruggedness of the K10D body. But if I ever have to have one of my bodies serviced, I hope PhotoTech here in New York gets up to speed and finally "is trained on the K10D".

Richard
I do believe "overgoods" is where a lost package goes to try to find it's real home. My guess is the label was lost and had to go to be opened and hopefully find out where it was supposed to go. Your lucky you even got it. I REALLY doubt if that is even the original box (maybe) or packing (not likely). I've had one package come back to me from "overgoods" and that was what happened, didn't even get to the destination. They also charged us for the "reship" though it was more than likely that UPS lost the label in transit. Got out of state (2 UPS centers) before the label was lost.
06-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I do believe "overgoods" is where a lost package goes to try to find it's real home. My guess is the label was lost and had to go to be opened and hopefully find out where it was supposed to go. Your lucky you even got it. I REALLY doubt if that is even the original box (maybe) or packing (not likely). I've had one package come back to me from "overgoods" and that was what happened, didn't even get to the destination. They also charged us for the "reship" though it was more than likely that UPS lost the label in transit. Got out of state (2 UPS centers) before the label was lost.
I believe you are right. I Googled the term "UPS Overgoods" and essentially that's what I found. It's not only a miracle I got it; I think it's miraculous the camera wasn't damaged. Of course, included with the camera was the repair warranty and the note I had included explaining the problem. Both had my name and address so presumably they figured out where it should go.

I emailed UPS and asked them if they knew what had happened but I just got a standard reply explaining how to make a claim. So I guess I'll never know exactly what happened.

Richard
06-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Shipping

I always USPS if I can, if not FedEx then UPS. FedEx is slow but no damage. UPS
has a horrible time with package conditions. take care!
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

UPS actually delivered some lenses to my doorstep in pristine condition, box and all. That was the first time I ordered online (via KEH). I do believe that it's not the courier's fault, but maybe the shipper's, unless something really bad happened along the way (force de majeur).

For non-North America buyers, USPS is probably the slowest among the usual suspects (FedEx, UPS, and USPS), more so here in the Philippines where our local post office does a horrible job with packages. There's a good chance your package might get tampered in a not-so-nice manner, if not lost, along the way.
06-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
I didn't use the original black box but rather the "bubble sleeve" the body came in. Then I stuck it in the middle of a bunch of "peanuts" that were surrounded by bubble wrap. I didn't expect them to use the same outside box.

How was your K110D packed? Peanuts, bubble wrap, or something else?

Richard
Hmmm. I'm getting too old to remember last month. I know when I sent it to Colorado I uses foam packing material between the original black camera box and the outer brown box. I keep foam whenever I receive it since I don't like peanuts falling around. What they used between boxes I can't recall. I was more excited to find out if the internal filter was left off as I requested to pay attention to packing. If there had been damage I would have paid attention!