Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #1

installing firmware updates

With my old K10, I never bothered to update the firmware , but I decided to give it a go today with my K7 when I noticed that an update was available . I am far from a computer expert, but normally manage this type of task okay, but I am presently stuck, and would greatly appreciate any help and guidance.
I have been to the pentax site and to the Support & Service page, and down to the section headed PENTAX Firmware Update Software for K-7.
I then clicked DOWNLOAD, at the bottom of the page, and sure enough, ended up with the usual page headed "Downloads", and in it the expected file "k7_e102w.EXE -9.3 MB-pentax.jp".
I then double-clicked on the file to extract it but NOTHING further happened from then on. The instructions led me to expect there to appear 2 files: a readme.text and the file Fwdc204b.bin, but nothing appeared, so I don't know what to do next! Presumably they have not been able to be unzipped, or maybe they are hiding somewhere? (I am on Vista.)
I'd be grateful for any assistance- no doubt I'm just being silly and there is a simple answer!

Last edited by duncanM; 11-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.
11-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think when I did it the extracted files were in the same folder as the original zip file.

Have you done a search?
11-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your interest, Arpe. Yes, I ran a search for the file Fwdc204b.bin, which is what the site says should emerge from the previous file when it is unzipped, but hey- no sign of it at all! Most odd methinks.
I'll give Pentax a bell in the morning and they should be able to give me a mug proof explanation
PS didn't we do well against the Aussies at Murrayfield yesterday!
11-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
Rather than leave this open-ended, I'll conclude by saying that from Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX 2 files were downloaded onto my computer .
It was the next step that gave me the problem, but eventually I went through the Start programme, "my computer" > "local disk" > "users" > "administrator" and finally opened "downloads" and found there the 2 new files, "readme.txt" (explaining the procedure in detail), and "Fwdc204b.bin" (the updated firmware). Then it was just a matter of copying the update file onto a SD card, and thence into the camera following the procedure in the readme file, ie right click on the updated firmware file to copy it, insert a formatted SD card into the computer's SD slot, again go to "my computer" and right click to paste the copied file onto the "removable disk D:" in the column on the right of the page.
The card had then to be taken out and loaded into the K7, and it was a simple matter then, following the readme.txt instructions, to complete the installation of the updated firmware
Hope this helps.

11-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done that man. I always hold my breath and cross my fingers whenever I update. Did you "open" the file when clickingon the download link, rather than "save"? I always save, then virus scan, then open in Winzip.

Yes you did do well at Murrayfield! First time in 27 years! Glad we got home against England, wasn't flash though. A bit worried about the French this weekend, they're quite strong at the moment, and always unpredictable.