Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,931
This is an awesome star trail shot!

I am also pleased that Pentax has tweaked the firmware to reduce the DFS time. This is good news indeed.

11-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Could the people who are doing long Bulb exposures with their K7 please listen closely to their cameras during DFS and report any noise that they might hear. I've reported this in another thread but there's been no confirmation from anyone else. The noise isn't obvious, you do need to put your ear to the camera, but once I heard it, it doesn't do much for my confidence in the technology, it sounds like something, perhaps the sensor, is being moved inside, shaken, and it makes me wonder if there is increased risk of some kind of failure.

Thanks in advance!
11-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member
mithrandir's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,890
Nicely composed. Looks like one of those inspirational posters.
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup007 Quote
Could the people who are doing long Bulb exposures with their K7 please listen closely to their cameras during DFS and report any noise that they might hear. I've reported this in another thread but there's been no confirmation from anyone else. The noise isn't obvious, you do need to put your ear to the camera, but once I heard it, it doesn't do much for my confidence in the technology, it sounds like something, perhaps the sensor, is being moved inside, shaken, and it makes me wonder if there is increased risk of some kind of failure.

Thanks in advance!
I'm guessing you're hearing something related to the shake reduction mechanism - either active because you didn't disable it (and countering the vibrations caused by you pressing your ear to the camera), or inactive (but it still has to run to hold the sensor still in the centered position - it just isn't moving to counter shake).

11-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
I'm guessing you're hearing something related to the shake reduction mechanism - either active because you didn't disable it (and countering the vibrations caused by you pressing your ear to the camera), or inactive (but it still has to run to hold the sensor still in the centered position - it just isn't moving to counter shake).
SR was off, and I can guarantee you I was holding the camera steady, no way was I causing the vibration I was hearing. I take it then that you don't hear such a noise during DFS on your K7?
11-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup007 Quote
SR was off, and I can guarantee you I was holding the camera steady, no way was I causing the vibration I was hearing. I take it then that you don't hear such a noise during DFS on your K7?
Even when SR is "off", it is still technically on. The sensor floats freely when the SR system is actually powered off, which would make it impossible to take a picture. Hence the SR system is activated and just holds the sensor centered during exposure when "off", rather than moving it around to counter shake. There's a fair chance that what you're hearing relates in some way to that.

Frankly, I don't know or care if my camera makes a noise so quiet I have to place my ear to the body to hear it during DFS. If it takes pictures properly, then I have no issue with it. So I can't say mine doesn't make such a noise because I haven't checked, and have no plans to do so.
11-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote

OK I will post full image.
Eagerly waiting for it, if not full image at least a larger version.

Thank you.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1hour 20 minutes, camera, dslr, exposure, k-7, k-7 and 1hour, minutes, pentax k-7, photography, result, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Star Trails (night exposure) Marc Langille Post Your Photos! 42 01-07-2010 03:58 AM
I just noticed this with my recent long night exposure shot.... vmax84 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 08-17-2009 04:44 PM
night exposure mettering problem lukas Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 09-11-2008 10:27 PM
Night photography with K10D - High ISO short exposure VS Low ISO long exposure pw-pix Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 02-03-2008 01:37 AM
Zurich by night II (K10D, 3 long exposure pics) tcom Post Your Photos! 0 12-12-2006 03:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top