Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is an awesome star trail shot!

I am also pleased that Pentax has tweaked the firmware to reduce the DFS time. This is good news indeed.

11-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Could the people who are doing long Bulb exposures with their K7 please listen closely to their cameras during DFS and report any noise that they might hear. I've reported this in another thread but there's been no confirmation from anyone else. The noise isn't obvious, you do need to put your ear to the camera, but once I heard it, it doesn't do much for my confidence in the technology, it sounds like something, perhaps the sensor, is being moved inside, shaken, and it makes me wonder if there is increased risk of some kind of failure.

Thanks in advance!
11-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely composed. Looks like one of those inspirational posters.
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup007 Quote
Could the people who are doing long Bulb exposures with their K7 please listen closely to their cameras during DFS and report any noise that they might hear. I've reported this in another thread but there's been no confirmation from anyone else. The noise isn't obvious, you do need to put your ear to the camera, but once I heard it, it doesn't do much for my confidence in the technology, it sounds like something, perhaps the sensor, is being moved inside, shaken, and it makes me wonder if there is increased risk of some kind of failure.

Thanks in advance!
I'm guessing you're hearing something related to the shake reduction mechanism - either active because you didn't disable it (and countering the vibrations caused by you pressing your ear to the camera), or inactive (but it still has to run to hold the sensor still in the centered position - it just isn't moving to counter shake).

11-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
I'm guessing you're hearing something related to the shake reduction mechanism - either active because you didn't disable it (and countering the vibrations caused by you pressing your ear to the camera), or inactive (but it still has to run to hold the sensor still in the centered position - it just isn't moving to counter shake).
SR was off, and I can guarantee you I was holding the camera steady, no way was I causing the vibration I was hearing. I take it then that you don't hear such a noise during DFS on your K7?
11-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup007 Quote
SR was off, and I can guarantee you I was holding the camera steady, no way was I causing the vibration I was hearing. I take it then that you don't hear such a noise during DFS on your K7?
Even when SR is "off", it is still technically on. The sensor floats freely when the SR system is actually powered off, which would make it impossible to take a picture. Hence the SR system is activated and just holds the sensor centered during exposure when "off", rather than moving it around to counter shake. There's a fair chance that what you're hearing relates in some way to that.

Frankly, I don't know or care if my camera makes a noise so quiet I have to place my ear to the body to hear it during DFS. If it takes pictures properly, then I have no issue with it. So I can't say mine doesn't make such a noise because I haven't checked, and have no plans to do so.
11-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote

OK I will post full image.
Eagerly waiting for it, if not full image at least a larger version.

Thank you.