Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D Defective Sensor

After having my K10D for a few days I took it to the local tech to have it cleaned. It seems that I had a dust spot on the sensor. I had to leave it over night since I got there near the end of the day. The next day I received a call from the Tech....
He told me that the sensor could not be cleaned. He looked at the Low Pass filter over the sensor under a scope and found that the "spot" was either a defect in the LPF glass or was something trapped between the LPF and the sensor. Just my luck......

Of course I returned the camera to the shop where I purchased it. I had bought it online so UPS returned it for me. They received it back on Wednesday. I'm still waiting for the replacement. I so I'm sitting here reading all your nice post and looking at all your beautiful shots. I want my K10D back (well a new one actually). I hate just being a spectator.

How often does something like this happen? is this a rare but not altogether abnormal occurrance? Or do I just have bad luck?

06-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mr Hyde, did you let Mr Jekyll borrow your camera?

Sorry, you must get that often.

Defective products happen to us all, fortunately they are rare. One of the hardest things to get a company to reveal is their rate of repair. As customers we hear about the problems, but don't know how many people do not have a problem. Neither my wife nor I have had defective camera equipment, and she has many cameras.

The only defective product I've had in years was a Maytag Washer. It died after 20 days. Turns out there was a class action lawsuit against Maytag for the series I bought with the exact failure I had.
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually have good and bad luck with things so I know it's not just me but I needed to vent my frustrations to someone and I think the people here would understand my frustration more than anyone else. So not only did I get to vent my frustrations, I also got to give some others a "heads up" just in case they get a speck of "dust" that wont go away. Have it checked by a pro. The Tech gave me an inspection report just in case the retailer doubted my honesty. The tech wound up not charging me for the inspection and report. I think he felt my pain and frustration as well.
06-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
After having my K10D for a few days I took it to the local tech to have it cleaned. It seems that I had a dust spot on the sensor. I had to leave it over night since I got there near the end of the day. The next day I received a call from the Tech....
He told me that the sensor could not be cleaned. He looked at the Low Pass filter over the sensor under a scope and found that the "spot" was either a defect in the LPF glass or was something trapped between the LPF and the sensor. Just my luck......

Of course I returned the camera to the shop where I purchased it. I had bought it online so UPS returned it for me. They received it back on Wednesday. I'm still waiting for the replacement. I so I'm sitting here reading all your nice post and looking at all your beautiful shots. I want my K10D back (well a new one actually). I hate just being a spectator.

How often does something like this happen? is this a rare but not altogether abnormal occurrance? Or do I just have bad luck?
Mr. Hyde,

Yes, your case is very rare, I'm sorry to hear that. I read your post yesterday or 2 days ago regarding the dust in the sensor, I saw the "Dust" in the 3 helicopers shot that you posted, it actually happened to my camera also, 2 different spots at the upper right corner, 1 even bigger than yours. I was able to removed them from mine in just a few seconds. I'm curious now, let me ask you... Did the tech in the shop take some pictures and load them to the monitor to view and to print the "Spot" of the sensor after he discovered the "Defected sensor" ? Did the tech or the shop owner give you a written report? Did you take some pictures yourself after you picked it up from the shop ?? Did you contact the online store if they would exchange it or they will forward to Pentax USA in CO for service ?? I'm sorry if I have too many questions to ask, but your case is very very rare, almost unheard of. It bothers me, and I'm sure it bothers all of us, the K10D owners.

06-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMac Quote
Mr. Hyde,

Yes, your case is very rare, I'm sorry to hear that. I read your post yesterday or 2 days ago regarding the dust in the sensor, I saw the "Dust" in the 3 helicopers shot that you posted, it actually happened to my camera also, 2 different spots at the upper right corner, 1 even bigger than yours. I was able to removed them from mine in just a few seconds. I'm curious now, let me ask you... Did the tech in the shop take some pictures and load them to the monitor to view and to print the "Spot" of the sensor after he discovered the "Defected sensor" ? Did the tech or the shop owner give you a written report? Did you take some pictures yourself after you picked it up from the shop ?? Did you contact the online store if they would exchange it or they will forward to Pentax USA in CO for service ?? I'm sorry if I have too many questions to ask, but your case is very very rare, almost unheard of. It bothers me, and I'm sure it bothers all of us, the K10D owners.
I'm not totally sure what the Tech did. I only know what he told me. He said that he examined the sensor under some sort of scope and saw a light spot on or in the glass of the low pass filter which sits directly in front of the sensor. He said that there was nothing on the surface. It was either a defect in the low pass filter or it was something stuck between the low pass filter and the sensor. Since it was not on the surface he could not be sure what it was without removing the sensor. Since the camera was new he suggested that I send it back for replacement. Yes he gave me a report which says "spot on low pass filter cannot be cleaned". I called the place it was purchased from. They gave me an RA number and I sent it back for an exchange. they told me that it usually takes a few days to process an exchange. It arrived in their shop on Wednesday. I'm hoping that this will all be resolved by mid or late next week.

the waiting is just a bummer.
06-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #6

I'm not totally sure what the Tech did. I only know what he told me. He said that he examined the sensor under some sort of scope and saw a light spot on or in the glass of the low pass filter which sits directly in front of the sensor. He said that there was nothing on the surface. It was either a defect in the low pass filter or it was something stuck between the low pass filter and the sensor. Since it was not on the surface he could not be sure what it was without removing the sensor. Since the camera was new he suggested that I send it back for replacement. Yes he gave me a report which says "spot on low pass filter cannot be cleaned". I called the place it was purchased from. They gave me an RA number and I sent it back for an exchange. they told me that it usually takes a few days to process an exchange. It arrived in their shop on Wednesday. I'm hoping that this will all be resolved by mid or late next week.

the waiting is just a bummer.
Well, atleast you have their word for the replacement, we are all happy for you, while waiting for the replacement, view and play with all the pictures that you took, that will cheer you up and make the wait shorter and less pain ....... Better days are coming, cheer up pal, we are here for you.
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update

Just an update for those who were interested. I received an email from Tri-State today with a tracking number for the replacement. UPS usually takes one day from them to me so I should be back in business tomorrow. I"m keeping my fingers crossed
06-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just an update for those who were interested. I received an email from Tri-State today with a tracking number for the replacement. UPS usually takes one day from them to me so I should be back in business tomorrow. I"m keeping my fingers crossed
Tomorrow if the camera doesn't get lost or damaged in transit. That is just about my luck at times.

stewart

06-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I have already had enough bad luck with this. Time for some good luck.
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back in business.

This should be the final chapter in this thread. The big brown truck came by today and dropped off my replacement k10d. The shipping box was not damaged. As a matter of fact it was in pristine condition. I opened the box and unpacked the camera. I had two batteries fully charged waiting so I popped one in and put on the kit lens. After the initial setup I snapped off a few simple shots of anything in my path. The last shot was of the overcast sky. I pulled the card and viewed the photos on the computer. The sensor was flawless. No dust, dots, grime, specks, or anything except my poorly composed and taken in haste shots.

I can hardly wait to dig into the features and exlpore. Keep posting and I'll keep reading. I'll keep learning, and if I have a question or two I hope y'all will help me out

Thanks

Scott