Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

k100d MF/AF toggle switch stuck in MF

Hi all,

The toggle switch that allows me to switch between MF and AF on the body is stuck in MF. However, when I have an AF lens mounted, the AF works fine. I'm able to move the switch down a little bit, about halfway between MF and AF, but it still doesn't lock into AF.

There's been some discussion of this on a flickr forum, but no one really has said why, or how to fix it. Thoughts? Is this something I ought to look into repairing? Am I damaging my camera by doing it this way?

11-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Additioanlly, when mounting a pentax MF lens, I'm still unable to move that toggle switch off of MF. Hope this helps.

Last edited by summatusmentis; 11-23-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: fixing redundancy
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't actually know the answer to your question, but I can feel you this: when the switch is in manual the AF drive shaft should be recessed into the body. If your AF is still working then this is not the case. Pressing the lens release button also pulls the shaft into the body. Byabe try moving the switch while it's pressed? I'm just throwing an idea out there. If it works then great, but don't blame me if it makes things worse.
11-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the suggestion, but it didn't do anything. When watching what happenes when I press the lens release button, the shaft gets pulled into the body. However, when a lens is off, the shaft defaults to being out of the body, despite the fact that I'm stuck in MF mode.

11-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm - it sounds like the switch has "jumped". This is just another one of my wacky ideas, but you could try unscrewing the lens mount and taking a look. You might want to run this idea by someone else before you do it though.
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
can you explain more by what you mean when you say "jumped"?
11-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by summatusmentis Quote
can you explain more by what you mean when you say "jumped"?
Sorry my response has taken so long. I'm still trying to figure out how to word it. I guess the closest thing I can imagine is a gear that has jumped a tooth relative to it's mate. This is all just educated guessing of course.
11-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

The MF/AF switch can not be reached through the mount itself. It requires removal of front body panels.
Here is a link to the older service manuals for the K100D and others. Downloads

The password is 8639 for all manuals.

11-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
How reasonable is it to try and repair it myself? Would it be better to just go to a camera store and see what it would cost there? Or is it safe to try and do it myself?
11-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If you have never tackled something like this, or feel nervous. You may want to see about getting a quote from a repair shop.