Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #1

How would the K-x stand up in the snow?

Hi,

Just ordered a white K-x recently (18-55 kit version) and am planning on taking it on a skiiing trip to Austria.

Any advice as to whether or not it would be alright to take it on the slopes with light snow and shooting in sub zero degrees celsius?

11-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Light snow should not be a problem. The cold will affect the batteries as most lose some energy when they become very cold. Don't expect to get as many shots from a set when they are cold as you would when they are at room temperature. And it goes without saying the camera will probably not withstand falling on it very well!

A larger problem you might experience will be condensation when you come back into the warm. The camera will be cold and if there is any humidity at all in the lodge when you come in, every surface of the camera - both inside and out will condense moisture on it. This could be bad. I would suggest drying off any snow or moisture from the outside of the camera before you go in. Then I would place the camera in a zip-lock or similar plastic bag to prevent the humidity from getting to it until the camera comes up to room temperature, both inside and out. With some easy careful measures your camera should be just fine.
11-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm particularly cautious and protective of new gear of any kind. My PS3 is sitting under one of the smallest TVs in the house, just so I can keep an eye on it and know it's ok

That having been said, I would probably not take any new camera on a skiing trip down the slopes. The only one that I think it temperature sealed is the K7, the K20D and K200D I believe are sealed for weather, and I believe the Kx lacks seals altogether.
11-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #4

i intend to do this when I get my K-x, even though I know it has no weather sealing. Although I have never owned a DSLR, so am not really the best person to advise, I think as long as you are careful, change the lens quickly and don't drop it in the snow you should be OK. You also need to be aware of condensation build up when taking the camera from the outside to the inside.

Have you thought about getting it insured for accidental damage? Your holiday insurance may even cover you

11-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't drop it or you'll never find it. Perfect camera for stealthy operations in the snow...
11-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

When I lived in Utah some years ago, I did a fair bit of cross-country skiing and sometimes practiced my downhill skills at some of the local resorts. I and my equipment always seemed to end up soaking wet - either from sweat or from taking a header into the lovely powder snow. For this reason, I only ever used weather-resistant cameras when skiing.

If you just intend using it outside and aren't going to dunk it in a snowdrift, it should be fine if you take the usual precautions against condensation. You'll need to keep the batteries warm if you want to take more than a couple of photos, though.

Mike
11-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
When I lived in Utah some years ago, I did a fair bit of cross-country skiing and sometimes practiced my downhill skills at some of the local resorts. I and my equipment always seemed to end up soaking wet - either from sweat or from taking a header into the lovely powder snow. For this reason, I only ever used weather-resistant cameras when skiing.

If you just intend using it outside and aren't going to dunk it in a snowdrift, it should be fine if you take the usual precautions against condensation. You'll need to keep the batteries warm if you want to take more than a couple of photos, though.

Mike
Actually, since you're getting a K-x with AA batteries, get some lithium AA's and you'll be fine. They outperform the different chemistry Lithium-Ion rechargables in the cold ( a common misconception that these proprietaries are just as good ):

With a storage life of 15 years, Energizer® Ultimate Lithium batteries are 33 percent lighter than ordinary alkaline batteries and perform well in extreme temperatures from -40 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (-40 to 60 degrees Celsius), making them ideal for photographers who are on-the-go.
11-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by prayforsnow Quote
i intend to do this when I get my K-x, even though I know it has no weather sealing. Although I have never owned a DSLR, so am not really the best person to advise, I think as long as you are careful, change the lens quickly and don't drop it in the snow you should be OK. You also need to be aware of condensation build up when taking the camera from the outside to the inside.

Have you thought about getting it insured for accidental damage? Your holiday insurance may even cover you
Insurance isn't an option, since I live in Romania.
I was thinking about getting a protective bag to protect it from the snow, that just leaves the condensation problem from when I take it out of the bag, or out of my jacket when on the slopes.

11-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a little common sense care you should be ok. It's not weather sealed so try to keep it dry.The biggest concern with carrying an SLR while skiing is the possibility of injuring yourself if you fell on it. I would carry it in a backpack, take my shots and then put the camera up.
11-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

People have been using cameras outside in cold and inclement weather for over a century.
Go out and take some pictures.
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
True, although the cameras of even 10 years ago weren't as reliant on electronics as those of today! Still, I agree - I've used my DS in the snow, my wife uses her K100D - it's not that big a deal if you are reasnably careful.
11-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I suggest to get a RED neck strap of whatever kind to bring your white K-x to the snow. It will help easier to identity your precious k-x in the white snow
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True, although the cameras of even 10 years ago weren't as reliant on electronics as those of today! Still, I agree - I've used my DS in the snow, my wife uses her K100D - it's not that big a deal if you are reasonable careful.
Also, don't try to keep your camera warm. Let it get cold, then snow won't melt on it and can just be brushed off.
And don't try to blow snow off of it.
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot with my K20d in the extreme winter conditions of NH's Presidential Mts--above tree-line--well below zero--feet of snow. Here is a link, for example--though some of the shots have been removed by me to make room for more posting. Go shoot!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/45963-winter-hike.html
11-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Also, don't try to keep your camera warm. Let it get cold, then snow won't melt on it and can just be brushed off.
And don't try to blow snow off of it.

This is the best advice. This is what will keep your camera from getting wet. Make sure to cool it down slowly and warm it up slowly. If you have silica gel packets, pile them up around the camera as you warm it up after the day is over. (Dry, uncooked rice works very similarly to silica gel, by the way)