Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #1

Stuck rear e-dial on an *IstD body

This is my first post to the forum so I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I cannot find it on the forum. I have an *Istd and last night when I came to try and use it the rear e-dial is stuck solid. The camera will function and take photgraphs but I cannot alter any settings. The camera hasn't been dropped or banged and was working fine last week. Could anybody shead any light on what is required to fix the problem. If the camera has to be professionally repair could anyone suggest the best place to go. I live in Stockport England.

regards

Keith

11-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would try to repair it myself, but that's me. The cost to send it to Pentax is rather high. If I could not fix it, I would buy a K100Ds or K200D and sell the broken D on ebay.
GP
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose there are any site that give instructions for taking an *istd a part?

Regards

Keith
11-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Wignall Quote
Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose there are any site that give instructions for taking an *istd a part?

Regards

Keith
Try ebay. I've seen Repair manuals for various Pentax DSLRs going very cheap.

11-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Wignall Quote
I don't suppose there are any site that give instructions for taking an *istd a part?
The service manual, which includes disassembly instructions, is here, thanks to Welcome to Pentax Hack.
11-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Try this before you take it apart...

You might try to blow a little compressed air around the dial first....possibly something really small is preventing it from moving...if that doesn't work, then try squirting some electronics "contact cleaner" inside the body at the rear dial....then see if the dial will move.

good luck. Taking the camera apart ought to be pretty easy.....getting it back together AND have it work, is the tougher part.

good luck.
mark
11-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
Many thanks for the responses I'll try the the compressed air bit first as something stuck in it would make sense.

regards

Keith