Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problem - K100 with new batteries - click click click.

First of all, my K100D has been operating wonderfully for the past 9 months. almost 15,000 pictures and counting. I guess I will know if my camera really dies.

Today, the batteries went out (CRV3) and I went to replace them with some new AA Lithium batteries. When I closed the door, the shutter started activating, on it's own and the camera would not turn on. I fiddled with the batteries for awhile and the same thing happend again. The shutter would just go off on its own.

I tried a few more times and it finally powered on fine. From that point on, it worked fine the rest of the day. Odd.

Has anyone encountered this before? New batteries, inserted in the right direction.

Jeff

06-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Never seen or heard of it happening before.

I would have left the batteries out for 10 min or so instead of just fiddling with them. I understand that it helps with the odd problem.

If it happens again I hope that it's during the warranty period
06-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Jeff,
I was once told by a told by a technician working on a video camera that in such situations to remove the batteries and then press each & every button on the device, and then put the batteries back. (it worked on the video camera).
Apparently in some situations a small charge can be held in the system which can cause freak happenings and pushing the buttons will release that charge.

I just pass it on as told to me.
Cheers
Grant

PS: I note your a Hillsboro resident, may I ask for some local knowledge on expected weather conditions in the first two weeks of November?

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-09-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
06-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #4

Jeff,

Hope this finds the problem solved. My click...click..click was not related to the batteries. I would power the camera on (K100D) and any button I pushed on the cam set the shutter off. I did the whole drill including resetting the camera, new batteries, new card. It was a wildly alien experience. Fortunately I had bought locally and it was under warranty. The staff was mystified, never having seen anything like it. They replaced my body on the spot and sent my off. I'll probably never know what actually happened, but I would guess some sort electrical malfunction. Mine had been working perfectly for about seven months.

Debbie

06-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
November weather? Chilly, brisk, very high chance of rain and drizzle. It is a bit early for snow for that time of the year, but the highs might be in the 50's and lows in the high 30s.

Two years ago we had downpours of rain during my sons football games. Last year, it was just chilly but dryer. But, bring an umbrella, a warm coat.

Jeff
06-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Jeff.
06-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #7

I've had what sounds like the same thing happen to me with my DL.

I was mid shoot, switched the camera off to re-pose, turned it back on and it sounded like Pentax amped up the FPS to about 8. Sounded cool, but what was happening was that the mirror was going up and down 1-3 times during a single exposure. So a 1/60 shot looked like 1/160. Not cool.

I have encountered this problem on my Canon cameras for work, and it's usually a broken shutter. The shutter, is the weakest point in a camera build. My DL had reached about 50k shots, and with a consumer camera, especially "budget" line camera such as the DL, that is understandable. I've had "prosumer" 20D's conk out at 20k. That's unacceptable though.

But the thing is, I finished up the evening with a friend's K100. When I returned to my DL, all seemed well and fine. Wonky eh? Oh well. Things are all well and fine now... and I do think it's that static electricity buildup.
06-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Had a similar problem with my DS. In mid shoot it would either take off real fast with multiple firing no matter what button was pushed or it would shoot a shot but then it wouldn't be on the lcd screen. This had a different sound than normal. Think the mirror was raising and shutter wasn't opening.
Camera went thru spells of working right or not for weeks. Finally tried some different batts. Apparently the Eneloops I used for backup had a charge but not enough and the camera would act up. Still use Eneloops but don't let them sit for months "charged" without topping them off. Work fine.
The other possibility is the right hand rubber grip started to come off. Finally took it all the way off and re taped it. There are some electronics under there. Maybe moisture was getting in.
thanks
barondla

06-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember someone used AA lithiums and experienced some weird behaviour too. Perhaps they are related? But unlike Canon, Pentax shutters are actually quite tough and often when they failed, it's one of the plastic mirror gears broke (all driven by a single motor). When I first got the DS, the mirror/shutter was out of sync randomly. But after I put it through in burst mode for 10 shots or so, it has been working fine since (almost 2 years now). In fact, there is a shutter cycle mode in the debug mode menu and it will run the shutter for 100 cycles continuely. Why? I don't know.
08-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Just an update on this one. It still happens. I just had my 20,000 shot, so it is clearly not happening on all exposures. But, it will act up frequently enough to bug me, but not on command, so I can show the store.

I do have the warranty and will probably take it in after this weekend for repair. (Which is going to hurt as football season is about to start and I cannto take pictures of my son!)

Jeff
08-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

on my ist*D, if the batteries are just about to konk out, it does the 'machinegun' shutter blast...

it also does it if my batteries are improperly charged, say one is charged more than the other.

that is just the nature of that body
08-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #12

Automatic clicking problem

I had the same problem with CRV3 batteries on the K110 day after usage for 3 days. The same batteries work well on the DL. The moment I use the same on K110D, it does this thing again.
08-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I read about that on a thread about rechargeable CR-V3. Looks like if the total voltage on the battery pack gets close to 8v the camera goes crazy, happens on fresh charged batteries and cheap AAs. Can't remember which forum thought, it's the one with a black background
08-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
I read about that on a thread about rechargeable CR-V3. Looks like if the total voltage on the battery pack gets close to 8v the camera goes crazy, happens on fresh charged batteries and cheap AAs.
It's called transconductance in the low-voltage microcontrollers and other semiconductors.
These have nothing to do with motors or the other, higher-voltage circuits (which are very tolerant of over-voltage).

The over-voltage causes current to jump the narrow gaps in a integrated circuit (IC).
And when that happens -- in your main control logic -- that's when you have issues.

Typically it is just a temporary phenomenon, and no permanent damage occurs.
But over time, it can permanently damage the microcontrollers and other ICs.

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Can't remember which forum thought, it's the one with a black background
Between this forum and two (2) others, I created this "super blog article" of all issues and recommendations:
BS' Blog: Rechargeable Li-Ion is not Non-Rechargeable Lithium (e.g., Li-Mn, Li-Fe)

I don't pretend to be a power expert, but I am a very experienced microcontroller and control logic design engineer.
And microcontrollers and control logic don't react kindly to over-voltage, and it's clear Pentax is not using a very costly voltage regulator in the K100D.

Because if they did, they would have support Li-Ion in the K100D, like the did the K10D.