Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
took it last week, and btw there is no offense in this theme, im a few hours away from becomin a pentaxian, just hoped to hear that it is actually not as bad as it seems to be

06-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #17

I have found noticable variation between viewing software.

for example when I copy a card full of RAW images to my PC, Picasa notices, shows me a newly found photo, then "enhances" the thumbnail. the enhanced thumbnail has totally different feel, more difference than from natural to bright mode in the camera.

I can then fiddle with the highlight/fill light and shadow sliders to restore the contrast so it pleases my eye.

It may be that to your eye, you dont like the tone curves in the camera. get GIMP or photoshop or lightroom or picasa2 and play with the curves. play with the camera settings for conrtast and exposure. But also, remember that we are not all viewing these photos under the same conditions!!! photos taht look good to me at home look terrible to me on my work laptop.

If you are able to see the differences above and they matter to you, you may consider getting a monitor calibration tool, and viewing photos under good consistent conditions.

There is a lot more going on that the camera has nothing to do with.
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm not checking in here as much as I'd like lately.

The paintings look to be about 1/2 stop under exposed. The wedding shot, like Mike said, is very under exposed.

All reviewers test these cameras at their default settings, so all these comparisons due is compare the cameras out of the box. Pentax sets the defaults very conservatively.

Remember what I said in my earlier post about DSLRs not performing their best out of the box. It will be very easy for you to tweak your camera settings to look just like the Nikon samples. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.
06-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by aRtERy Quote

This review is CLEARLY biased, the owner of the page initialy had a lot of nikon adds if I remember correctly and all of the review he kept praising the Nikon and bashing the pentax.

He said a lot of stupid things like the viewfinder on Nikon was better ????? When in fact the viewfinder on K100D/K110D is a lot larger ( 0.85 and 96% magnification on k110D versus 0.8 and 95% on D40 and 0.75 and 95% on D50). In fact, K100/110D has one of the bigest viewfinders in a DSLR, even biger than Canon D30.

Then in the flash test, when K110D makes a pretty good exposure and the D40 underexposes, the reviewer thinks it's normal and praises again the D40.

There are lot of strange things in the review, take a look at this page, he expains more OK1000 Pentax Blog: Pentax K110D Deserves A Better Review At Digitalreview.ca

06-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't imagine anyone has taken any offense. We are simply trying to point out that it's not necessarily the camera causing the "image" problems you are seeing. Could be anything from monitor calibration, to un-equitable/uneven testing procedures, bad post processing or whatever. Take a look at this 'Sunlit Maple Leaves' pic in my photo.net gallery. Uploaded it today just for this thread. Totally unprocessed except to resize and convert to JPG from Pentax RAW. All the other phots in the "Single Photos" section of my Photo.net gallery with the exception of the pic of me on my motorcycle) were taken with my K110D

Let me know what you think and if it has the same probs you are perceiving.

Mike

p.s. I hope you enjoy the K110D and give it a fair shake. Forget trying to make fine art pics for the first few days. Shoot anything and everything in all the diff kinds of light that you can and pay attention. Fiddle with the settings and watch what gives the best results in each setting. I predict once YOU get dialed into the camera and get IT dialed in to your shooting style you will be very pleased.

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-11-2007 at 11:52 AM.
06-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The linked review and the snapshot of the guys in suits basically shows that the camera has poor white balance performance indoors. This is already well known, and while unfortunate, not indicative of a problem with image quality or color performance in general. It would be nice if Pentax would put some research into this and make their AutoWB more accurate in incandescent and in mixed-lighting situations. (if SilkyPix can guess so well after the fact, the in-camera engine should be able to do even better).

On the other hand, the "a cheap camera with very dark images requiring long shutter speeds to yield a bright image" quote can come from nothing but a very poor understanding of how exposure works.
06-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #22
raz

The guys in suit image needs two things: a faster lens to cope with the dark room and/or a flash (I think that image is done without flash - if it's done with flash, then the camera must have mettered wrong, maybe you help us and display the exif information on that image).
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

aRtERy,
I took the liberty of downloading and doing a bit of PP on these 2 images. It took about 10 seconds each to adjust the white balence in ACR4.1 and resave.

Do they look better to you? Somebody had the WB set way off when they took these.

Since these are not my images, if anyone has any objections to my posting these examples, I'll pull them.

06-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aRtERy Quote
took it last week, and btw there is no offense in this theme, im a few hours away from becomin a pentaxian, just hoped to hear that it is actually not as bad as it seems to be
So, you don't even have the camera and you complain about possible results?

I was going to suggest that perhaps you had accidentally adjusted the +/_ exposure compensation which is easy to do by mistake.
06-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it just came three and a half hours ago and i went out to shoot but it started to rain pretty soon after i left. first thoughts- feels very good in my hand, the controls are ok and there's somethin oldschool about the whole look and feelin of the k110, i just like it thing i dont bother for: the shutter sounds loud and pretty damn hard knocking when opens/closes.

the only thing i dont know if it's normal or not is this last element of the lens(the one at the end, when u change the focal length it goes in and out) is movin a bit, when u take the cam of the table(not grabbin it madly) u can hear it hittin the ring. When i was shooting i noticed the same sound couple of times only by moving the cam, i think there is some space between these parts, but as i said dunno if it's normal.

actually i made 4 shots(3 variants of settings for each), here i post one of them

06-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
SpecialK, i know the thread is a bit sick and i sounded hysterical, but it was just a piece of mind that came around only for a moment as im a first year student and the budget was hardly earned and a step beyond for my finances but i think i can handle it. im just sayin im not this "always worried" type. thanks for all of you involved in the thread, seems like uve got a cosy forum here
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Turn the contrast down and use Natural mode, set the sharpening to low if you're going to PP, high if not. Then you won't get dark images, just very natural ones and any further tweaking would just be exposure compensation depending on the scene. I find 0EV is fine most of the time, you'll get used to it with practice, that's what the histogram is for and if you set the camera up to display it on the instant review after a shot and use the digital preview on the on/off switch you can get the exposure dead right every time before taking the real shot. Try that on a D40.
06-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
so is it normal for the kit lens to have this large space between the elements and to make sounds when moving the cam in hand? it is this main part of the lens which goes in and out at the end of the lens, when it is fully out it is a bit down.. and u can move it with finger up a bit and see the difference...(the word i think is one of the meanings of "daylight", think it's used for space between legs) the sound bugs me cause it happens often.. if i shake the cam : knock knock knock... and i think this amplitude affects also the picture, cause the lens is not 100% horizontal ???
06-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
aRtERy...

That is definitely NOT NORMAL! Any lens will wiggle a tiny tiny little bit when at full extension, but what you describe sounds like a bad lens. My 18-55 doesnt make any sounds even when I shake it fairly hard (I just tried and not a peep). I certainly can't move it far enough out of alignment to affect the image.

You need to contact whoever you bought it from and ask for a replacement toot sweet.

Mike
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i hope they gonna replace the lens..
but i just read that some of the kit lenses are like this(not tight enough and they clatter) and it depends on your luck.. so im not pretty sure if it is going to be considered as a defect..

Last edited by aRtERy; 06-13-2007 at 10:13 AM.