Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Image quality,color,exposition-k110d

i just ordered k110d but from all the photos ive seen from it, i think theres somethin strange about it.. the photos are quite dark.. colors are a bit weird and the whole feelin of the picture.. theres something wrong..

am i the only one who notices this.. are there any firmware mods by pentax fans or some special settings reached by them for better performance?

anyway, i keep waitin for my first dslr. youve got nice forum here, think ill hang around. im interested in doing shortfilms, but i have this passion for photography back to my junior years when i used to shoot with zenit 19(old russian film slr) I havent been into photography for a long time now so i really look forward to unpacking the k110

06-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Am I the only one who doesn't get this post?
06-09-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Am I the only one who doesn't get this post?
I think something got lost in translation.

....Anyways, there are way too many variables to say that every picture from a particular camera is too dark or weird. K110's can produce superb images and some crappy ones too - depends largely on operator inputs.
06-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aRtERy Quote
i just ordered k110d but from all the photos ive seen from it, i think theres somethin strange about it.. the photos are quite dark.. colors are a bit weird and the whole feelin of the picture.. theres something wrong..
Well I don't own a 110, but I've owned 2 ist DS's and a K10D. THe DS has a tendency to under expose by about 1/2 a stop. This is supposed to be by design, to help preserve highlights. I believe the K100/110 uses a similar exposure algorithm. I just keep +1/2 stop EV dialed in to compensate. As to weird colors, this is the first I've heard of this. Where are you viewing these photos? Can you post a link, so we can see and perhaps better answer your question?

am i the only one who notices this.. are there any firmware mods by pentax fans or some special settings reached by them for better performance?
There is an available Pentax firmware upgrade, version 1.01. It just offers improved SDHC support. There are no hacks if that is what you are refering to.

anyway, i keep waitin for my first dslr. youve got nice forum here, think ill hang around. im interested in doing shortfilms, but i have this passion for photography back to my junior years when i used to shoot with zenit 19(old russian film slr) I havent been into photography for a long time now so i really look forward to unpacking the k110
I''m sure you will enjoy your K110D.

06-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hahaha nice 'n warm welcomin feedback

roscot, they just seem unreal to me, is there any other option to make the shots more vivid instead of +1/2?
06-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

hahaha nice 'n warm welcomin feedback

roscot, they just seem unreal to me, is there any other option to make the shots more vivid instead of +1/2?
Sure. You've got a full set of controls to set up the camera the way you like, including Saturation, Contrast and Sharpness. 2 Image tone presets (Natural and Bright). Or, you could do what I do, and shoot RAW, and do all of the processing on my PC. Very rarely does a camera shoot the way you want, right out of the box.

You also have a full slew of shooting modes, that you could only dream of with your old Zenit. 3 metering modes (Matrix, Center Weighted, Spot), 3 shooting modes (Shutter Priority- TV, Aperture priority-AV, or program-P) and EV compensation. This gives you a lot to work with. It may be an entry level camera, but it is still a very sophisticated piece. You will have a learning curve to get the most from this camera.

I can't comment on the shots you have seen, because I have not seen them myself, be aware that all DSLR shots can benefit from a little post processing.

Here are some links to K110 and K100 examples.
Pentax K110D Digital Camera Sample Photos and Specifications
Pentax K100D Digital Camera Sample Photos and Specifications

Hope this helps.
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot with a K110D and have no problems with exposure. I also do not adjust the exposure compensation on a regular basis. It would be nice if you would post some example of photos you think look weird.

06-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster

the ones on the left side are from K110D
06-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
do you believe this roof on the last one?
06-11-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster

image by k110d after post processin - still shitty colors and the image is dark
source: dpreview.com/forums

wow i just read this..

"I have the IST DL and K110D.
Compared to the IST DL, I must say the K110d is a cheap camera with very dark images requiring long shutter speeds to yield a bright image and that leads to motion blur (ggood luck trying to capture anythin moving). the images are full of grain and noise at ISO200 and the images are over sharp with lots of clipping and blue fringe.
DONT BUY THIS CAMERA!!"

huh..
06-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster

these colors seem dark to me.. unreal

compare 'em to these - Nikon D40 Review Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by aRtERy; 06-11-2007 at 08:04 AM.
06-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

aRtERy...

Your painting sample pics are out of another review of the K110D aren't they? (I know I've seen em before)...

Frankly the K110D ones look a bit underexposed to me and are even slightly out of focus. I doubt a "fair" comparison was even attempted.

In the roof pic the color saturation is better in the K110D shot but it again appears a little out of focus.

One thing you have to understand is that most of the diffs in these kinds of tests are dictated by the lens, not the body. If the K110D pics were taken with the kit lens (18-55mm) then it is understandable that the quality is or may be lacking. Come on, its a $75 zoom. For the money it cant compete fairly against a $1000 * zoom.

However, since there is no info about what lens was used or what the other camera body/lens was its hard to answer your question logically.

As for the wedding pic... Available light in a church sanctuary is one of the most difficult lighting situations for ANY camera. You need a FAST lens and steady hands. To compare this shot we would again need a sample taken at the same time/place with another camera to see if you actually get better results with the other camera.

TESTING and comparison is only fair or even useful when the playing field is level. Saying that a Chevy Camaro is superior to a Ford F150 is nonsensical. Sure the Camaro is faster and more agile, but it is incapable of towing a 30' trailer or navigating jeep trails.

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-12-2007 at 03:12 AM.
06-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it just bothers the eye this dark,oily and pastel feeling without light and vividness... can i do photos like the nikond40 ones with the k110d or they are going to be always this dark and dead? this is what bothers me.. cause if its just some settings- hell yeah, but why would this guy say that the cam sux.. thought you can adjust it to be more vivid, basically the ccd sensors are both Sony
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #14

Why he said that it sucked... Probably there could be a number of reasons, ranging from not learning to use his camera properly, to actually being genuinly dissapointed, to flaming a camera he never owned (yup, these people do exist, usually a fan of a competing brand...)

I haven't seen any proof whatsoever that the K110 should be less capable then the DX 40, and since this Nikon is seriously crippled, I would consider a D50 if I would go for a consumer DSLR of Nikon-brand.

Anyhow, you should pick the K110 up yourself, and use it to see if it fits you. Take a search on the K110D on Flickr and photo.net aswell, and see for yourself other people using the camera.
06-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well I found the review that your pics came from on Digital Review. Did you notice that they compared the Pentax against 2 Nikons? To do a better test they should have compared a Pentax vs a Nikon vs a Canon. The 2 Nikon's matched up fairly closely, thus making the Pentax look off. It's natural to assume that when 2 out of 3 shots look one way and the 3 looks different that there must be something wrong with the third. With a true 3-way test you could see that what appears to be a flaw in the Pentax images is really just a different imaging philosophy. The Pentax sensors and software seem to give more of a film feel than the Nikons or Canons. Indeed, I think the Pentax images look a lot like the old Kodachrome film (which I happened to love) so I like them.

Mike

p.s. while you are pulling dpreview on us... take a look at the K100D gallery over there (K100D same as K110D only has SR).