Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

The Canikons

Greetings from Greece! I'm a couple month old owner of a Pentax K200D and I'm really happy with my purchase. It's the first time I use "serious" equipment.

I would like to share a funny little dialogue I just had with a Turkish girl:

-I love my new camera!
-Did you buy a new camera?
-Yes, a professional photo camera!
-Nikon or Canon?
-Pentax, of course!
-But Canon and Nikon are better.
-No, of course not.

(I know some might argue that K200D is not professional, but to a guy coming from a Sony point & shoot IT DARN RIGHT FEELS PROFESSIONAL!)

Now, this girl I had this dialogue with probably doesn't even care about photography but I guess marketing and all made her ignorant about Pentax's superior quality.

And one might as well argue that Nikon's and Canon's quality improve drastically as you climb the price ladder but K200D is definitely the starter DSLR category winner without any competition, in my humble opinion.

11-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the PentaxForums!

I agree. Canon and Nikon's extensive marketing (and sales) over the years have certainly won them an enormous amount of mindshare. For many people, digital SLR simply = Canon or Nikon. Forget about Pentax, Olympus, Sony etc. That's a perception that won't be turning around for some time. Most people don't have the time or the inclination to learn about what other camera makers can offer.

Your choice of a K200D was a good one. That camera will reward you with lots of great photos.
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Most people don't even know Pentax, or have just barely herd of it. Think yourself of an not so well known manufacturer brand of other products.
If you say Casio or Rolex, they sure must be good, but what do you know about other watch manufacturers, which ones are really cheap and which ones offer true quality for better price?

K200d is sure a hell of a camera, i thought of upgrading to 40d but came to conclusion that it cannot offer the overall advantages k200d has, but is much bigger, pricier and has only few points that are better.
11-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome valadis.
There have been numerous discussions about how Pentax is not considered professional-grade, both by themselves and by users, but it actually doesn't matter.

Pentax's APS-C sensors rival just about any of the other brand's APS-C sensors, and that's what matters - the results you get from the cameras...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/74471-why-doesnt-pentax-get-respect.html

11-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been shooting my K200D for almost 1.5 years. It's a great camera. I bought it to shoot Race cars and Race boats which it does just fine.