Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Horizontal Lines - Help

Greeting all,

A search did not show my exact problem but if I missed it please forgive me.

My 4 y/o *istDS has been producing shots with horizontal lines across the frame. Its mostly in the center of the frame and is evident in the two pics attached.

I thought is was ISO related as its more noticeable in high ISO shots (Sample 2 = ISO 1600) but Sample 1 is at ISO 200 so that's not it. I've changed mem cards, downloaded straight from camera (not card reader), cleaned everything I can but it seems to be internal. I'm guessing sensor.

Can it be repaired? Does it make sense to repair it? (I'm over 10K shots with the DS). Where can/should I send it?

Thanks,
yustr

11-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #2

is it intermittant or permanant? My guess is unreliable contact of connector between sensor and main board and you need to take apart and clean contacts on connector(s).
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It looks like a "wet sensor cleaning" that went bad. Like when using a wet swab with not enough (or too much?) cleaning solution. The cleaner dries before removing all the gunk.
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Its intermittent and the sensor has never been cleaned wet (nothing other than a spray of air.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks

11-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by yustr Quote
Its intermittent and the sensor has never been cleaned wet (nothing other than a spray of air.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Intermittent does suggest a dry contact somewhere. I had similar issue on my ist DS.
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSsuper Quote
i...you need to take apart and clean contacts on connector(s).
Is that something I can do or does it need to go out? Is there a guide available?
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by yustr Quote
Is that something I can do or does it need to go out? Is there a guide available?
You can do if you're handy with a screw driver. Repair guide at http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/older_sm.zip
11-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks MS but it appears to be beyond what I'm comfortable trying.

Anyone have repair shop recommendation?

yustr

11-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember reading about a symptom similar to this, I believe over at DPR. The thread found that radio interference was the culprit, which was intermittent.

EDIT:

Here is one thread about RF interference possibly caused by cordless phones, cell phones, wireless routers, TV/Radio towers, and such: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=22883293&changemode=1

Also, some pictures of RF interference here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcl1/page18.asp?color_compare=pentax_k10d/0

Last edited by tomwil; 11-24-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Additional info
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
Anyone have a recommendation on a repair facility? Also, what is the cost just for them to "have a look"?
11-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

it's hard to tell whether this is banding or just the inability to correctly resolve the changes in shaded regions.

I looked at the two examples, and I can see banding, but it looks like it is the result of seriously pushing shadow detail.

Note that the resolution, i.e. the grey scale value per F Stop becomes non linear at about +/- 2.5 stops. SHadow detail has less resolution per stop and can be prone to banding, especially if there is some background pattern that is roughtly horrizontal