Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #1

About kx autofocus indicator

Dear All,

I am considering buying a kx recently.
However, the lack of autofocus indicator in the viewfinder seems to be a little problem.
Will it be added by a firmware upgrade or will Pentax make it?

Thanks.

11-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It won't be added later. It's a physical part that Pentax cut to save on manufacturing costs/retail price.
11-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer AF indicators in VF. But t's easy to choose at back LCD and there are sound confirmation and in-focus polygon indicator in VF. It's not a big problem.
11-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lightshadow Quote
Dear All,

However, the lack of autofocus indicator in the viewfinder seems to be a little problem.

Thanks.
Welcome to PentaxForums.

You probably won't miss the lack of an AF indicator in the viewfinder. The coverage of the 11 AF points is adequately displayed in the viewfinder - you always know the region which the 5 points or 11 points or spot AF are using. And, as ogl says, it's very easy to have direct control over which AF indicator is used if you want that, and get focus confirmation too.

Manual focus is always an option too to fine tune things or get direct control. Manual focus is under-rated

11-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightshadow Quote
Just for clarification the Pentax Kx does have a focus indicator:

from the Kx manual page 62:

what it lacks is the ability to show which of the multi-focus points was/were being used (red flash superimposed on the actual focusing screen).

This is not a big issue if the central (Spot) focus point was selected - or if the main subject/focus area covers the entire bracket indicators in the viewfinder (inner bracket for the default 5 point focus, or the outer bracket for 11 point AF)
Page 117 of Pentax Kx manual:

As the earlier response said, this cannot be a retro-fix via firmware as the red flash indicators are hardware that have not been built into the Kx.

BTW - in a "perverse" way the lack of the red flash focus point indicators can be an advantage -
many people mistake those as an indication that the camera has locked focus - they are not, it's that off-screen hexagonal symbol that shows when the camera has obtained focus lock.
11-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have found the camera to do quite well with determining your subject - the green hex gives you the indication that focus has been achieved, and you do of course get to see what is in focus through the viewfinder (a novel concept!). If you need more selective focus you can choose center point, or a specific point from the 11 indicators via the rear screen. I haven't personally found a need to yet, and actually find the lack of indicators gives me more focus on the subject and composition.
11-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
the green hex gives you the indication that focus has been achieved, and you do of course get to see what is in focus through the viewfinder (a novel concept!).
Agreed

I currently only have the K100D - which does have those red flash AF points.

BUT to be sure of what I am focusing on I only use the central AF point -
so in a way the red flash AF point is an actual distraction -
and when I see it I still am fooled momentarily into thinking that focus has been achieved -
but remebering I have to shift my eye to look at the off-screen green hex indicator to confirm.....
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hi Lightshadow,

Let me help calm your fears!

I used a Canon Rebel XS for a few months which a had the AF points illuminated in the viewfinder. I enjoyed this and when I got my K-x I thought I was going to miss it.

I've never missed it yet...

It's very easy to use the indicator on the LCD screen, and like what was said above, there is a green light in the VF that indicates focus lock. I also set my green button to jump back to the center AF point in case I messed with it earlier. Anyways, most of the time I use the center AF point, lock focus, and reframe my subject. Believe me, the other features of the camera outweigh the fact that their aren't AF indicators in the VF. That's just my two cents! I hope you end up getting a K-x!

11-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
I am calmed down!

Thank you all for your kind replies and help !

Now I think KX will be my first DSLR .

This forum is really helpful and I enjoy the friendly atmosphere here.
11-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Just for clarification the Pentax Kx does have a focus indicator:

from the Kx manual page 62:

what it lacks is the ability to show which of the multi-focus points was/were being used (red flash superimposed on the actual focusing screen).

This is not a big issue if the central (Spot) focus point was selected - or if the main subject/focus area covers the entire bracket indicators in the viewfinder (inner bracket for the default 5 point focus, or the outer bracket for 11 point AF)
Page 117 of Pentax Kx manual:

As the earlier response said, this cannot be a retro-fix via firmware as the red flash indicators are hardware that have not been built into the Kx.

BTW - in a "perverse" way the lack of the red flash focus point indicators can be an advantage -
many people mistake those as an indication that the camera has locked focus - they are not, it's that off-screen hexagonal symbol that shows when the camera has obtained focus lock.
... thanks for this posting !!!
11-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
here is a link to the kx manual

http://www.pentaxcanada.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_K-x_e.pdf
11-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
... thanks for this posting !!!
You are very welcome -
when I first read of the Kx not having focus indicators, I was somewhat shocked at such a serious omission -
until I realized that it was the AF selection points (on-screen red flashes) that was missing
and there still was the all important focus confirmation (off-screen green Hex).

The problem was just terminology -
the trouble with using "focus indicator" is that it could be confused with
either the confirmation (green Hex)
or the AF point selection (red flashes)

Perhaps for the sake of clarity and not mislead, or doing the Kx a disservice -
we could perhaps refer to the two separate "focus indicators" as -
Focus confirmation (green hex)
and
AF selection point (red flashes)?