Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #1

K-x Powerzoom/Pentax joke?

I read in a forum somewhere that powering on a Pentax SLR while pressing the Info & AE-L buttons takes you to a debug screen.

I tried this with my K-x + 55-200mm & the lens extends fully - gave me quite a start.

11-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How can that be?
Does the DA 50-200mm have powerzoom feature? ..I think not
11-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Hey, that's interesting! But OP did mistake AF and powerzoom
I just tried the combination, and the lens just travels its focus range back and forth once.

Edit: to actually get into debug menu, here are instructions from jerrymouse from another thread.
QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
How to get into DEBUG mode for K-x, firmware 1.0:

1) create file MODSET.492 with
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

- line must end with CR/LF (endline char in windows)
2) turn on the camera while holding +/- (Av) button
3) congratulations, you are in debug menu
Assuming you want the AF adjust, after you get into debug menu, enable the debug mode (just press right, then okay). Then, hit the menu button, and scroll into a hidden tab (not sure, but I think it's between camera settings page 4 and custom settings page 1) and there you'll find AF adjust.
11-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I just tried the combination, and the lens just travels its focus range back and forth once.
Yes, you are right of course.

11-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #5

Speaking of power zoom, does anyone know what voltage the camera supplies to the lens for this, and which of the two terminals is positive?

I've just bought an "untested" lens with this feature, and while none of my cameras can power it I'd like to be able to bench test the power zoom motor.
11-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PMunks Quote
I read in a forum somewhere that powering on a Pentax SLR while pressing the Info & AE-L buttons takes you to a debug screen.

I tried this with my K-x + 55-200mm & the lens extends fully - gave me quite a start.
Its just autofocusing, using the AF body screw drive.
The DA 50-200mm barrel extends quite a lot when focusing to infinity, especially if zoomed to 200mm.
11-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote

Edit: to actually get into debug menu, here are instructions from jerrymouse from another thread.

Assuming you want the AF adjust, after you get into debug menu, enable the debug mode (just press right, then okay). Then, hit the menu button, and scroll into a hidden tab (not sure, but I think it's between camera settings page 4 and custom settings page 1) and there you'll find AF adjust.
I wonder how many AF adjust it is capable of?
K-x purchase becoming better and better!
11-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Speaking of power zoom, does anyone know what voltage the camera supplies to the lens for this, and which of the two terminals is positive?
It is not DC, so there are no plus and minus contacts.
It is AC, so there is phase and null contacts (I don't know how it is in English).

11-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
It is not DC, so there are no plus and minus contacts.
It is AC, so there is phase and null contacts (I don't know how it is in English).
AC or Alternating Current.
11-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #10

I just assumed DC as the cameras are obviously powered by DC batteries. Presumably it's a brushless motor as it uses AC? Can't see why else you'd choose that extra level of complexity.