Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
screen protectors and replacements

Here's another great source on Ebay. I got a set from them and am still on the 1st ones (2x3 pack for both the LCD panels) after 4 months. No issues at all and I know they have protected both screens well.

check:
eBay Seller: screenpatronus: k10d, Digital Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com

On another forum I participate in, this issue came up. One poster there contacted Pentax and was advised that the screen is affixed around the LCD panel with a small amount of double backed adhesive on the outside edge. The screens can be ordered from Pentax direct (about $4.00) and he was told to gently use a sharp knife to get under one edge and slowly remove the screen. Clean the adhesive off the trim edge and reset the new screen in it's place. I've never attempted this but it sounded straightforward with steady hands. 2 posters to that site had tried it to replace cracked screens and said they were able to do it very easily.

A couple of Nikon users also chimed in to say their screens were suffering the same issues and one had replaced his screen the same way.

Not sure if I'd do it myself cause the cost of the tech doing it is much lower than the cost of having an LCD panel replaced if it got messed up.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-16-2007 at 08:34 AM.
06-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Inactive Account

i wouldn't be afraid to do that, but I have just used some of the vinyl I have (for arty/design purposes) and cut it to size then applied it to the plastic surfaces. I'm not quite sure why (in terms of science) the polymers seem to adhere themselves - charged ions or something?

Meh anyway, i cleaned the vinyl and screens once cut to size then left them wet, put them on and spread them flat. The water just helps prevent air bubbles really. They dried out and lie nice and flat - no need to spend $$ on the internet, just get to your local stationary store! They aint movin either (well obviously would peel off easily). If anyone could explain why the polymers adhere like this I would be very interested to know. Maybe I could give Google a call.
06-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
I have a Delkin shade on both of my K10D's (minus the shade part. which is easily removed) and they work fine. Got them from B&H <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441826-REG/Delkin_Devices_DU25MBLK_eFilm_Point_Shoot.html>

It's not specifically for the K10D but it fits.

As for scratches, one of my bodies had a tiny, barely visible scratch on the screen before I attached the Delkin device so I can attest to the ease with which the screen can be scratched.

Richard
Did you have to do any modifying of the shade for it to fit?
06-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiFilm Quote
Did you have to do any modifying of the shade for it to fit?
No. But I removed the shade part before attaching the screen. I find that my hand works just as well as the shade part.

Richard

06-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
The suggestion that a metal zipper rubbing against the back of the camera could have caused it seems logical to me. It takes beautiful pictures..... but then thats no excuse to try and make love to the screen man, that aint right!
Oh my gosh that's funny! I needed a good laugh today so thank you for that.
06-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

I have K100, but I'd assume it's the same LCD as K10
I've had it for about half year, I try to take care of it, but it's often hanging around my neck hitting shirt buttons and anything else in the way, and still no scratches...
06-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

axl, go back up to my earlier post in this thread and pick up a set of his screens. It's a $10..00 bill you won't regret. They are fantastic and I'd say from my experience that 1 set will last 8-12 months. The package comes with 3 sets. just tell him what model you have. They fit my K10D and K110D perfectly.
06-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
On another forum I participate in, this issue came up. One poster there contacted Pentax and was advised that the screen is affixed around the LCD panel with a small amount of double backed adhesive on the outside edge. The screens can be ordered from Pentax direct (about $4.00) and he was told to gently use a sharp knife to get under one edge and slowly remove the screen. Clean the adhesive off the trim edge and reset the new screen in it's place. I've never attempted this but it sounded straightforward with steady hands. 2 posters to that site had tried it to replace cracked screens and said they were able to do it very easily.
Thanks for the info, it is good to know that a cracked screen can be replaced, (if need be). Do you have a direct link to the discussion ?

07-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, the screenpatronus screens don't seem to stick that well at the edges. The rest of the screen works well...it's very clear and you don't notice it's there. Here's a shot of the protector on the K10D (the K10D is in a Velocty 7x bag in case you're curious):
http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/4517/2781183130030340207S600x600Q85.jpg
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #25

The first thing I did was use some extra of these vinyl skins I have for my Ipod. I did have to cut them to size myself but both my top and back screens are protected from anything but a direct fall on a rock.

They work great. I've never used a case for my iPod and it is in prisitine condition.
08-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #26
m8o
Veteran Member

forget the scratches, which I caused laying on its back taking pictures of the milkyway w/my f/1.4, I just discovered my screen is CRACKED! Argh. Gunna see how warranty repair works...
09-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #27

Screen Protectors

After reading this discussion, I decided I had better protect the screens on my new K100D while it is still new. I dropped by a local computer store and picked up a clear plastic overlay kit for an iPod with video. For $5.40 I got overlays to cover both screens 3 times. I had to cut them to size, but on my first try you can't even tell they are there. THanks for alerting me to this possible problem.

Name:  sigpic2602_1.gif
Views: 197
Size:  5.0 KB
09-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #28

Interesting.

My cameras get shoved together into a back pack with my TC and flashes and get bounced around in 4WD when I am working. I have been thining about "Camera Armor" because I am getting sick of hearing the bodies bang together when I am walking about.

But, I have bnever scratched my LCD screens EVER!!!

Crash
09-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #29

After about 10,000 exposures on my K10D, I have not the slightest scratch on the LCD. Some people for whatever reason (use of zippers, etc.) seem to accumulate scratches and those are the ones who should use LCD protectors. I will only use them if I see scratches becoming a problem which fortunately has not happened yet.

Regards,

Ted
09-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #30

I agree with rhermans, I use the palm treo protectors on my K10d and they work great on the lcd screen for my point and shoot as well. They really stick on good and you won't need to change them often from peeling off easily like some other brands which are made for camcorders and digital cameras.