Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #1

K10`s fragile back LCD screen ?

Well , to my surprise i just noticed several scratches on my K10`s LCD screen , i`ve had 6 digital cameras since 2000 and i`m very meticulas with my gear and i`ve never had any problems of this nature before.

How can this be possible ? does anyone else have noticed the fragility of the back screen ? what can i do about it ? is there so product that can smoothen the screen and must i service it asking them to change it ?

Some of you will be asking yourself what all the fuss is about but for someone like me so obsessed about keeping his equipment as good as new up to the day it is ready to be sold again , it`s iritating and i`m almost considering selling to buy something new that looks new.

The only way this could have happened is probably when i have the camera around my neck and the screen might be slidding against the buttons of my shirt while i`m walking , but again like i said before it`s never happened with my other cameras.

06-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can buy protective screens (or films) for the LCD, so that it doesn't happen easily. Then it wouldn't get any worse than it is.
06-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K100 is the same, and I would imagine that the K110 is as well.
06-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The 3 inch Giottos screen protectors fit well and you get 3 (and a microfiber cleaning cloth)for under 10 bucks at B&H. I have had one on mine for awhile and they work fine.
Kenn

06-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
anyone try the shieldzone ones?

B&H photo sells a generic 2.5" one, but the official K10D one is supposed to be slightly smaller so I'm wondering how much has to be trimmed off..
06-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #6

I don't think there is a "tough" LCD screen out there.

You need to be careful if you hang the camera around your neck, so it doesn't rub on our jacket's zipper.

Don't carry it together with things with sharp edges, that could rub against the camera.
06-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #7

I do not abuse my gear, but dont be overprotective either. Signs of use belongs to life, enthropy increases :-)

My K10 does not have any protective gadgets and they have not got any signs of use that makes the photographing more difficult. Patina belongs to gears that have been in serious use :-)

I am very sure that that the secondhand price will not be lower due to a few tiny scratch in plastic surfaces..... in few years these now so beloved items will be electronics waste, ready for garbage dump or recycling :-)

06-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I always buy some general lcd protector film for Palm/Pocket pc, works perfectly.
I also placed a bit of that plastic on the top lcd screen
06-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #9

I have a Delkin shade on both of my K10D's (minus the shade part. which is easily removed) and they work fine. Got them from B&H <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441826-REG/Delkin_Devices_DU25MBLK_eFilm_Point_Shoot.html>

It's not specifically for the K10D but it fits.

As for scratches, one of my bodies had a tiny, barely visible scratch on the screen before I attached the Delkin device so I can attest to the ease with which the screen can be scratched.

Richard
06-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yes , but what is strange is that i haven`t done things with the K10 that
i didn`t do with my last DSLR from Nikon, a D50 which never had this kind of fragility.
To the feel i can say that the Nikon looked thikker and more solid.

I`ve noticed the same concern with mobile phones.... i`ve never had any scratches on the screen of a Sony Ericcson phone compare to a Nokia or most other makes.
06-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by guillermovilas Quote
i didn`t do with my last DSLR from Nikon, a D50 which never had this kind of fragility.

I`ve noticed the same concern with mobile phones.... i`ve never had any scratches on the screen of a Sony Ericcson phone compare to a Nokia or most other makes.
Watches are the same. Basically there are two types of crystals for watches; mineral and sapphire. Mineral crystals will show scratches from day one; sapphire crystals are much more scratch resistant. The reason manufacturers would use mineral crystal over sapphire is cost.

I have no idea what the physical properties of the coverings on the K10D LCD may be, however, it may be one area where they have reduced manufacturing costs and gone with a cheaper and sadly, less scratch resistant covering.

You should tell Pentax that you are dissatisfied with the soft covering on your camera LCD, otherwise they may never change it in future models. They need to know that this is important to photographers like yourself.
06-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Watches are the same. Basically there are two types of crystals for watches; mineral and sapphire. Mineral crystals will show scratches from day one; sapphire crystals are much more scratch resistant. The reason manufacturers would use mineral crystal over sapphire is cost.

I have no idea what the physical properties of the coverings on the K10D LCD may be, however, it may be one area where they have reduced manufacturing costs and gone with a cheaper and sadly, less scratch resistant covering.

You should tell Pentax that you are dissatisfied with the soft covering on your camera LCD, otherwise they may never change it in future models. They need to know that this is important to photographers like yourself.
Yes you are quite right , they probably kept the costs low concerning the resistance of the back screen.
I had a Nikon D50 and after 2 years of constant use it was still in perfect condition.
06-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guillermovilas Quote
That’s interesting; the LCD of Nikon generally gets poor feedback from users. You can hardly read any review by Thom Hogan where he doesn’t state that you need to have protection for the LCD screen of Nikon DSLR’s.
06-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Strange that....ive actually had mine fall from a shooting table onto the corner of a brick fireplace with a 200 takumar and collar attached (about a kilo). I dont look after my gear as well as i should and my k10 has been in some rough places with numerous little neices and nethews handling it when im out (i can always tell cos there's jam or chocolate on the lcd and buttons), after about 5 months i can honestly say that theres not a single scratch on my lcd screen.

The suggestion that a metal zipper rubbing against the back of the camera could have caused it seems logical to me. It takes beautiful pictures..... but then thats no excuse to try and make love to the screen man, that aint right!
06-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I look after the camera, there's no scratches on it.