Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even all that fuss, I still did it!

Today, I bought K-7
i've been wondering whether to get it, or not.. I was killing myself, maybe I should get Kx instead of it.. but

taking Kx and K-7 in an arm.. makes all the difference..
of course visible focus point indicators, and wheather seals, together with a silent shutter, soothes even more..

After a loooong wait of the battery to charge, I spent several hours to inspect all the features whether there are any malfunctions and to my surprise I couldn't find any..

this cannot be! did I get a good one? after so many cries for them being unreliable, with crooked sensors, noisy and etc.

I got one that is perfect! did I win the lottery or what?

anyhow.. since I cannot believe it, I will continue to inspect it, I think i'll drop it from several meters to inspect whether it's really made of magnesium alloy...

also I think I'll leave it tonight outside the house, to test its weather seals..

also if it's thief proof..

and I think to put it to the microwave.. for some curiousity.. will tell you what happened..

but to be a little more serious what I have found out:

electronic horizon works on one axis.. so it only works for 10 or so degrees downward.. upward to a little more.. maybe 20

I set the noise reduction to low, since I either will be shooting raw, or remove noise manually.

Focus speed is really faster than in K20d. that is for sure. i've test it mainly in dim conditions. and the focus assist lamp, works flawlessly.

the controls are a bit different from k20d, but i'm getting used to them..

I'm happy that they left such function, that when you hold ISO button and press green button, ISO sets back to auto.

and I like the actual noise that's visible in higher ISOs.. it's so natural. it doesn't look digital.. doesnt look square.. it's very nice to an eye.

ok, to prove that I have one, i'll attach few images.. the images were done when the time wasn't set. and the noise reduction still was set on medium.
wb was set on auto, with no corrections, yet the light in my room is red and the camera did a good job..
with a keyboard is ISO 2500 f/5.6 s1/4

other is ISO 1250 f/4 s1/30

all pictures I took, were taken at home, during experimentation, so nothing special.

also could someone tell me the acutal numbers of the photos? because mine starts at 8400..

also could someone explain three options in Auto ISO - low normal and high..?

so far.. i'm very happy with it..
I paid 970Euros. with 18-55kit lens.

I came from K20d and find noise more pleasant.. although I have it just for several hours..

Last edited by Mystic; 11-24-2009 at 03:31 PM.
11-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase.
All is in order I see - except if you're sure the image count has started at 8400, that shows it's been used extensively before, either as a demo model or a recycled 2nd hand one.
But if you're happy, it won't matter!
Look forward to more pics you take with this fine camera.
11-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

the image count can be different due to many reasons so i would not make much out of it if i were you. Just reset the count by untagging the memorize number option and it will start at 0001 again :-)
Hope you will enjoy your K-7 as much as I do!
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It only gets better with use....

If you didn't format the SD card. I've heard the shutter count does that.

11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Congrats on the purchase.
All is in order I see - except if you're sure the image count has started at 8400, that shows it's been used extensively before, either as a demo model or a recycled 2nd hand one.
But if you're happy, it won't matter!
Look forward to more pics you take with this fine camera.
She probably just popped in a sd card from another camera. If I was at home I might be able to look at the data to see actual shutter clicks. If it is there.
11-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is it really faster in focusing than k20d/k10d?
What about grip and little finger?
P.S Sveikas lietuvi
11-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #7

is that an ASUS laptop?

11-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds good!!

Until yesterday I was still thinking about getting the K20d or the Kx. Now the K7 is added to this list....will I ever be able to make a choice??

Last edited by Iris; 11-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.
11-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
Is it really faster in focusing than k20d/k10d?
What about grip and little finger?
P.S Sveikas lietuvi
Sveikas ,
yeah the focus is really faster. more determined and the focus assist lamp, kicks in when needed, so, I didn't see, when the focus couldn't lock, as the light wasn't sufficient the lamp got in the very instant.

what about the grip and little finger... well the camera was made for me. I'm a person 1.77m height and small hands, all fingers fit.
...........................................................................................

yes it's the ASUS laptop, to be more precise Asus F3JP

I believe that the number of pictures, that I see is the result of the SD card previously been in a different camera..

I wouldn't say that the camera would have been used extensively, the taste was like it's new and the look, is perfect, with no dust, specs, scratches or etc..
I know there are programs, that can tell you the real shutter count of the camera, so anyone of you, who, have it, please check, one of my pictures..

Well ,kx has many great features, but it doesn't have the feel of the Mercedes S class.. while K-7 has it..

and after k20d which was equal to something like VW Passat of '2004, to sit in Peugeot 207, which I would equate to Kx, wasn't that alluring, even though it's great, it small and not luxury, while k-7 is.
11-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mystic,
I am truly happy to see that you are happy too!
One more positive thread for the K7 and one more point in my count!
You have the BG-4 grip as well? I am thinking to order that when I order for the K7 ... worth it?
JP
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote

also could someone tell me the acutal numbers of the photos? because mine starts at 8400..
FYI, according to the image EXIF, the shutter count for the image with the plastic bag in it is 294 actuations. Your camera is brand new.
11-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Congratulations, you bought a great camera !
11-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats. Now go out and post more pictures...
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
FYI, according to the image EXIF, the shutter count for the image with the plastic bag in it is 294 actuations. Your camera is brand new.
Thanks for that info, I feel even better now

No, Jpzk, I didn't buy a battery grip. Without a grip it fits perfectly to my hand.
I did not try a grip, I do not know how it would, however I do plan to get the battery grip in the future, because I do weddings, and vertical shooting is quite common.

Thanks RBellavance, I do hope I did, and it will serve me well.
11-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I hope I will be able to buy k-7 someday. It look perfect it has many useful features, finally it has silent shutter