Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
something about the flash

So when I take a picture with my k200, mounted with my M 50 1.4 and I use the built in flash. The flash seems to be... extra bright, and drowns a lot of things out in white. Is do I need to manually adjust the flash or something? I've messed around in the menu but didn't find anything.

I assume this problem is coming from the inability for the camera to communicate with the lens?

11-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're right, P-TTL flash works only with A lenses...

With PK-M and m42 lenses, it will just fire at full power (quite strange they didn't allow a power setting...).
There is a mean to enable P-TTL with those manual lenses, but it works only with stopped-down lenses, meaning that you'll compose with a darkened viewfinder (there is a trick with PK-M lenses to use them as stop-down lenses) : shorten the A contact of the mount, and then select the widest aperture possible on the camera (not the lens itself!).
11-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, alright. Thanks for the quick reply.
11-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flockofbirds Quote
...I assume this problem is coming from the inability for the camera to communicate with the lens?
Exactly. Inability to both communicate with and control the aperture of the lens. So you get the built-in flash just pumping out a flash at maximum output. You will need to manually calculate the appropriate aperture to use on the lens based on the ISO you are using, and the flash to subject distance.

How to calculate this is described in the K200D manual on page 132.

But the basic formula for the aperture to use is guide number divided by shooting distance in metres. Since we know at 100 ISO the guide number of the flash is 13, then for example a subject 3 metres away would mean we need to set an aperture of f4.3, or close enough (eg f4) on the manual lens.

11-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Okay, seems simple enough for me haha. I'll have to try this out sometime tomorrow, but I will probably just switch to a DA lens if I am gonna use the flash because this full flash drains the batteries quite quickly. But good to know if I need it.

Thanks.