Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Worthwhile upgrade to K-x or not?

Hi everyone. Forum newb here with standard "in my situation" questions.

I'm currently shooting a Pentax *ist DS, which I've used since 2005. I generally take most of my pictures on vacation (cruises mostly). Here is a gallery with some of my trip pics Link.

As for lenses, I'm not in the "great glass" price range yet, unfortunately. I generally carry around a Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 and a Sigma DG 70-300 f4-5.6.

I do shoot a lot in automatic, but sometimes change settings depending on what I want from the shot. I generally only shoot RAW and do post-processing on my computer.

The K7 is out of my price range. I had looked at the K20 earlier in the year, but prices have really shot up on that. Now I'm looking at the K-x. What I like in the upgrade is the better sensor, the image stabilization, and the ability to shoot video (not sure how practical that will be, but I'm enticed by it). I know it is an entry-level camera, but I know I'm not a pro-shooter.

I'm taking my "once in a lifetime" trip here in a few weeks to Australia and New Zealand. I'm guessing a lot of shots will be outdoors, though I will be on a cruise, so there will also be some interiors. I'm also planning on keeping an online video journal for my mom because she cannot make the trip (wouldn't plan on using the K-x for primary source of video).

Though it is last minute and I hesitate taking new and little-self-tested equipment on what I consider to be an important shoot, is an upgrade really going to help me that much based on my current equipment and needs? I know I know ... take the money and buy better glass.

11-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd get the camera. The *ist series of cameras are very good but you'll see an upgrade in most every respect. Focus speed, writing to the card speed, low light ability, feature upgrades and so on. You can't loose and IMO this will be as significant as getting better lenses.

If this were me, I'd put the old camera in my baggage. Not because you are unfamilar with the new body but what happens if there's an issue? Maybe you drop the camera or something else. Having the backup to me, would be a priority.

Get the new camera, read the manual on the plane and have a great trip but post tons of pics when you get back!
11-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply Peter. I figured that it has been enough time that there would be hardware benefits with an upgrade. Now I'm also looking at refurbed k200d or k10d from Best Buy as an intermediate solution.
11-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i think the kx is a fair bit ahead of the k20d... thats why my k20d is for sale.

I do miss dual dials etc, but the k8 will be out eventually.

11-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm confused. Intermediate to what? The KX is available now. If you are concerned about budget. Then the K10D should be the cheapest. The K200D is probably a bit more and an upgraded version of the K10D in many respects but single wheel vs dual (same sensor -newer model). Both are very capable and I use a K10D for weddings with great results.
11-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes ... not good wording on my part but you got it, I was thinking about budget.
11-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Best bang for buck though - at this stage - is the K-x.
The performance is just excellent.
The K10D would be my next recommendation for cost-effectiveness, but that would only be if your budget is less than $400. Otherwise, the K20D is also a very good option. I reserve the K200D if you're keen on the scene modes (but I find to be gimmicky).