Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #1

Is there any way to power a K20D on AA batteries.

I hate camera specific batteries. Hate them! Hate them! Hate them!

Did I mention that I hate them?

Anyways, I was just wondering if there is a grip, accessory, or whatever that allows the K20d to be powered by some AA batteries. Anyone know of anything?

11-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote

Anyways, I was just wondering if there is a grip, accessory, or whatever that allows the K20d to be powered by some AA batteries. Anyone know of anything?
NO!

Having put up with AAs in my *istD with grip for years then moving up to K10D/K20D with grip with Li batteries I can't imagine why anyone would want to go back to AAs.

David
11-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
the only way you'd be able to do this is if you created some sort of home-made battery pack that fits AA's and somehow attached to the power terminals on the camera.
11-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
NO!

Having put up with AAs in my *istD with grip for years then moving up to K10D/K20D with grip with Li batteries I can't imagine why anyone would want to go back to AAs.

David
I just dont like being tied to having to recharge my batteries.

1. You need to buy expensive spares to keep with you just in case. They die unexpectedly, and you have to buy another expensive replacement, if you can find one, which means that you usually have to order it and wait x days until you get it. You can buy AA's everywhere. Doesnt matter if you are in the desert or the jungle, if there is a store or trading post, they'll have AA's. You can get AA's in the mountains of Afghanistan for crying out loud. Lets see you find a replacement dedicated rechargeable there after your spare falls out of your bag and a camel steps on it.

2. Unless you have spare batteries, your device is out of commission while the battery is charging, anywhere from 1 hour to overnight. There goes that once in a lifetime shot. Too bad that UFO only hovered outside your window for 60 seconds.

3. You need a dedicated charger. Chargers break, quit working, get misplaced, get lost. I bought my young daughter (an aspiring photographer) a beautiful Pentax point-and-shoot last year for Christmas. She misplaced the charger. Now the camera is a paperweight until we find the charger, or I locate and buy another one. You need to keep the charger with you "Just in case". Another piece of equipment to carry aroud with you and worry about. They dont work in many foreign countries unless you buy an adapter. Even then, unstable foreign voltages can burn them out.

4. Rechargeables bleed off their charge over time, sometimes over a short time. Dont use your camera for a month, and pop the AA's back in, it'll work fine. Chances are all of your rechargeable batteries will be dead or close to it. Crap, there's that UFO again!

5. With AA's, I have a choice. I can buy inexpensive rechargeable AA's that will fully recharge in 15 minutes, and still have regular AA's available in backup or emergency situations. With rechargeables, I have no other choices.

6. Years from now, when my rechargeable batteries have reached their final recharge cycle, I may have a hard time finding a battery or charger for my K20D. My Minolta Maxxum 9000 35mm equipment (power everything) uses AA's. I've used it for 20 years, it still works flawlessly, and batteries are as close as the closest convenience store. I havent used it since I got my K20D, but I know that all I have to do is pop the AA's back in, and it'll be ready to go, immediately. In my attic, I've got a box of useless electronic devices that all used rechargeable batteries. They are there because the batteries died, replacements are unavailable, the chargers broke, or got misplaced, etc. If they had used AA's, we might still be getting some use out of them, so the overall cost of the rechargeable batteries in them, needs to include the fact that the devices are no longer available for me to use. That cost doesnt come into play when using easily replaceable batteries.

To me, the disadvantages of dedicated rechargeable batteries greatly outweigh any advantages they may provide.

Last edited by jeryst; 11-26-2009 at 08:50 PM.
11-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately not. I completely agree with what you say and I was sad when Pentax started using Lithium-Ion batteries... Still the camera was good enough to endure the hassle. I think the K-7 can use AA via the grip... but then you lose its compact size.

- Itai
Neoluminance
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't quite share this opinion, jeryst.
The Li-ion batteries last very long, hold charge for longer than any AA rechargeable can, and are very quickly charged.

Preparation before any trip or shoot is vital anyway, so why not just have all your spares charged and kept in the camera bag for any circumstance? Each one will last at least 500 actuations and can be kept in the bag for months with no problems.
11-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Ash and David on this. The OEM batteries are very stable and last a long time. Having lived with the various voltages of AA's in a *istD, I'll never go back and like several here, I use my cameras for work (35,000 images since May'09 on 2 bodies).

11-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
NO!

David
Isn't there a fairly new Pentax camera that comes with the option of using AA batteries?
11-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote

Most if not all AA, 2/3AA and 4/5AA are 1.2 volts so you would probably need an external pack made to order.
If the K20 had the same kind of grip that the K-7 has I would be all over it, I also like the idea of using AA batteries as an option.

Ray
11-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes the K-7 grip comes with 2 trays. One for the dedicated battery and one for 6 AA's.
11-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll bet because Pentax caved in on all the "Why can't we use AAs anymore?" outcries. Wished they focused more on SDM...
11-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'll bet because Pentax caved in on all the "Why can't we use AAs anymore?" outcries. Wished they focused more on SDM...
Ash,
I think we should both design the next offering from Pentax, I think we could really kick some butt and come up with the "perfect" DSLR.
11-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Ash,
I think we should both design the next offering from Pentax, I think we could really kick some butt and come up with the "perfect" DSLR.
Nah, there'll bound to be people out there who'll tear it apart for one reason or another!

I'd just like to see Pentax continuing to honour their proud tradition of building gear for photographers by photographers.
11-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nah, there'll bound to be people out there who'll tear it apart for one reason or another!

I'd just like to see Pentax continuing to honour their proud tradition of building gear for photographers by photographers.
I was being sarcastic.

There is always somebody............
11-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
jeryst - Why didn't you buy a K200D instead of the K20? You can sell your K20 and get a K-X.
GP