Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
By that comment I was just thinking of what would be interesting in terms of new technology. For those like you that presently find selectable autofocus points useful, wouldn't it be great if they could be moved around the viewfinder at will? I really don't want to get into a tech argument about why that can or can't be done. I just think it is the sort of thing that Pentax would do. As other DSLR companies press for more of this and more of that, it would be just like Pentax to turn them on their heads by making autofocus points movable through a controller like the touch plate on a laptop.
No, it is exactly the sort of thing that can be done, and is being done now. It's called multi point AF. It's what we are discusiing.

However, you bring up an interesting concept, which would be shifting the entire AF block to the right to put more sensors at the top of the frame.
It would probably be more expensive than to just built a sensor block with more points, and I doubt it would be able to be kept as accurate as present AF, but it is still a cool idea.