Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #1

Weird issue with SR on K-7

So I just got my K-7 back from repair, for nothing having to do with SR (it was to fix a creaky body). Everything seemed hunky dory at first, but then when I was taking some test shots, I noticed that almost all my pictures with SR on were blurry (taken handheld). So I switched on live view, and noticed that (long story short), when the shutter speed is at about 1/125s, everything is nice and dampened, but once it gets up to about 1/250s and faster, some weird things start happening:

1) There's this very jittery movement that can be seen when zoomed in to 4 or 6x, that looks very similar in amplitude and frequency as to the jittery movement seen with SR off (it basically looks as though SR is off).

2) The SR mechanism seems to be making more noise than usual.

3) When on a tripod, there is NO movement of the image with SR on. This is unusual, as normally, with SR on and the camera on a tripod, there is a slight swaying of the image. Indeed, I can see this normal swaying on my camera when the shutter speed is set to 1/125s and slower.

Just to say it before anyone else does, I'm not imagining this; I am ABSOLUTELY convinced this is happening. However, I can't say whether this was happening before I sent it in for repair.

So, if anyone could do the same test with the K-7 and these conditions, I'd really appreciate it, so I know if this is normal for the K-7, or if I need to send it back for round 2 of repair. I have to say, either way, I'm quite disappointed with Pentax. Either the design of the SR in the K-7 is bad, or Pentax Canada repair is bad.
And just in case you're wondering, I first noticed this problem with my DA*300mm lens, but then observed it on my other (shorter) lenses as well. So it's not just a question of the focal length being too much for the SR to handle (although of course the jitteriness is exaggerated at 300mm).

Thanks a lot!