Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Help K-7 issue driving me mad!

Help,

I want to know if my K-7 is faulty or not. The issue is that the SR seems to carry on making its funny little sounds (normal) AFTER the shutter actuation. I am certain it didn't do this when I got it last week. It sounds like a wrrrrrrthumbp as if the sensor is settling back into place and sounds very similar to the loose sound inside when the camera is rotated (again normal). I am convinced this is not right. It does it regardless of the SR being on or off and it does it in single shot and burst mode. Incidentally, if I do a bulb shot its makes the sound after the shutter has closed for the same time that the shutter was open.

Help help help, am I going mad or is it a genuine fault??

Cheers

11-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Inactive Account

well that dont sound good,if you think its faulty it probably is! my k-7 dont make any noises after the shutter release.
11-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
jup

I have similar issue with K-x. After shutter actuation, and when mirror is already back in place, it makes sound as if sensor inside is moving. It's not tied directly to shutter mechanism, since it doesn't do this when coming out of live view (and it doesn't do it during taking picture in LV either, but then SR is probably on the whole time), but otherwise it does it after every single shot (not during sequence). I can't tell if it was doing it since I bought, but quite possibly, since it's not that very audible and I could have missed it.

Well, anyway, after being terribly worried about it for about two days, I just decided to ignore it. I am pretty certain it doesn't affect camera operation in any way. That said, I'd still like to know if this is commonplace or not.

BTW, one guy at DPR forum suggested it may be film advance motor Pentax designer forgot inside.
11-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jup Quote
BTW, one guy at DPR forum suggested it may be film advance motor Pentax designer forgot inside.

I hear very quite sound also on my K-7 after shutter release, in fact I've heard it on both K-7 that i had. Guess it's a feature, not failure.

11-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
It's says in my K-m manual that the noises made after the shutter actuation are normal work noises. So i have never turned any interest to the noises my K-m makes. I have no idea about the K-7, as i have never even seen one.
11-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

On the K10 it does this “aftersound” only when in continues shooting mode, but not when set to single fire. I guess it sort of "prepares" for an eventual next shoot.
11-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Such a sound is also noticeable when you use liveview.
There has been a lot of discussion on this forum to this sound.
I believe that majority of K-7 users believe it is the shake reduction system moving around the sensor.

11-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
kit

Original Poster
It's not normal

I am going to return this back to SRS Microsystems for a refund, who have been great. I have tested this further I can't get a sharp image even on a tripod with mirror lock up and using a remote release.
11-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I get the same kind of noises that are being reported here on my K7 that I bought recently. While my camera seems to work fine, the noises don't inspire much confidence in K7's realiability, it leaves me wondering how long before it breaks down. It would help to know what those noises are, how it all works.

With regard to the "wrhump" sensor-settling-down noise after shutter release I can only guess what others are guessing, but I have my own theory about the noise during "Dark Frame Subtraction" that happens after long Bulb exposures. Considering that this DFS no longer takes as long as the exposure itself, and considering that long exposure noise is a function of sensor temperature, I wonder if the sensor is being shaken during DFS to increase its temperature and thereby reduce the time it takes for the procedure.

Does anyone have a technical contact at Pentax HQ we could ask for an explanation?