Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

K-x for HDR photography

Looking to upgrade from point/shoot to DSLR. Have a growing interest in HDR and was drawn to K-x for it's uncommon HDR feature. Anyone use this? Is it simplified/one-touch auto-exposure bracketing? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

11-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes it is in camera, bracketed photos (can be set to normal or strong - I assume that is probably +1/0/-1 or +2/0/-2 bracketed exposures, haven't looked it up in the manual personally). The bracketed exposures are then processed in camera. Of course a tripod is a necessity since this is an in-camera function.
11-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Sometimes there can be a glow around objects with the strong setting. Usually see it in photos where something is surrounded by a bright sky.

Also, it only saves the file as a single jpeg. Which I guess means you can't avoid compression, or other internal processing like white balance. Would be nice if it let you save 3 Raw files and the combine them in software of your choice.

Last edited by TimothyB; 11-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TimothyB Quote
Sometimes there can be a glow around objects with the strong setting. Usually see it in photos where something is surrounded by a bright sky.

Also, it only saves the file as a single jpeg. Which I guess means you can't avoid compression, or other internal processing like white balance. Would be nice if it let you save 3 Raw files and the combine them in software of your choice.
I think if you already know enough to do that yourself, you're going to get a better result than the in-camera jpeg regardless! It is really there for beginners, like alot of the features built into an entry level camera such as the Kx. I get your point though it would be nice to do both at the same time so that if the jpeg is good, then you can skip the PP.

11-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a compromise at best.
11-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's a well implemented feature. Essentially yes, of course it is just a form of exposure bracketing but it works well (provided no subject or camera movement etc - ie use a tripod and compose carefully) and makes the task very easy.

I'm not a big fan of HDR, because the current HDR mania has seen the creation of millions of photographic monstrosities, but the K-x adds it to your photographers toolkit in a easy-to-use way if you need to /want to use it.

The only downside is that it is done in JPEG only and you cant even use RAW+ to capture some RAW files alongside the JPG's used in the merged image.
11-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #7

Note also that we have automatic exposure bracketing - up to 5 exposures even... so IMHO there's really no need for in-camera HDR. One-touch bracket it, let it rip, and let Photoshop sort it out with much better results.

But yes, I too do not like HDR in general - it's a great tool, but like the vignette filter, far too often abused.
11-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all responses. As I suspected, the feature is in the bells and whistles department. A nice one for quick, simple execution. I would rather use bracketing and save as RAW and merge with software. Off to buy me a K-x.

11-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The dynamic range on the kx is so good i find that i don't really need hdr, i just pull the detail out of what you think is black from the raw

Like this shot:

Obviously no where near what you can get out of a HDR but, its the look I wanted and you can see from the crops there is a ton of detail in the dark. (and not much noise)
11-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
At a local camera store looking into K-x. Owner said, and I'm paraphrasing, 'can get it if you want I'm an authorized dealer, but Pentax fired all their sales reps and will be out of business in 6 months. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death on these forums. Even if exaggeration, it's disconcerting.
11-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
Note also that we have automatic exposure bracketing - up to 5 exposures even... so IMHO there's really no need for in-camera HDR. One-touch bracket it, let it rip, and let Photoshop sort it out with much better results.

But yes, I too do not like HDR in general - it's a great tool, but like the vignette filter, far too often abused.
Hmmmm - I did not know of this. I will have to try this out.
11-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I've had a play with the in-camera feature but it left me distinctly unimpressed, you'll get far better results bracketing RAW exposures and using third party software.

That said, my Kx seems to do well at keeping shadow noise down when compared to my K20, which will make it a more capable HDR tool when pushing exposures around.
11-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #13

I've played with it a bit & got some nice results, even handheld - though HDR disables shake reduction. Not as powerful/flexible as Photomatix etc but much simpler. Might give you a clue as to whether HDR with multiple raw files is worth the effort in a particular situation. A lot of HDR photo's on Flickr look like sci-fi to me.
11-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by run26.2 Quote
At a local camera store looking into K-x. Owner said, and I'm paraphrasing, 'can get it if you want I'm an authorized dealer, but Pentax fired all their sales reps and will be out of business in 6 months. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death on these forums. Even if exaggeration, it's disconcerting.
I heard the same thing mentioned on this forum in the same terms well over 6 months ago. In fact probably a year ago. Pentax is still here, and doing quite well, it seems.

That dealer needs to stop spreading (old) gossip and get out more.