Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x battery issue "primer"?

Can someone please give me a brief summary of the issue with the K-x batteries? I just ordered a K-x and frankly am overwhelmed by the amount of info on the various forums about the battery problem.

I've gone bleary eyed from reading about it and I'm still not clear what I should be aware of - if anything - before I receive my camera. I have Enloops that are about 2 years old. Will they work? Should I be thinking of a special type of charger?

If you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

11-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Others will no doubt chime in... but my advice is:

- run the camera initially with the Energizer Lithiums that come with it, to get used to the camera;
- if you do decide to use NiMh's, stick with Sanyo eneloops and charge them with the eneloop charger. Eneloops are your most reliable NiMh bet;
- when changing the batteries, be patient. Give the camera a minute to test or identify the new battery type. It will probably work straight away.
- If there are issues, keep the batteries in the camera, turn it off and wait a bit more then try again. If this doesn't work, use the tricks people have identified to jolt the camera firmware - press LV, toggle the MF/AF, mount/unmount the lens etc.

But there is a high probability that everything will all just work fine for you out of the box and you won't encounter any weirdness.
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I ordered some eneloops from Amazon a while back that came with a charger - I think it's called a CTA Rapid Travel Charger. Will that work, or is there a specific eneloop charger?
11-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

bottom line is that some K-x's are picky about NiMh batteries.
Seems like their lower voltage (1.2 v x 4 = 4.8v) makes the K-x's circuitry and firmware quite sensitive to lower voltages and makes it more easily give up and give a low battery warning.

most folks have had no issues with the lithium AA's. i've used both eneloops and panasonic 2100 mah batteries. my K-x starts. i have not tested them with 100's of shots yet.

i've also tried NiZn's and the k-x starts up green, no issues. took 150 shots, meter still green.

there's been some "talk" that pentax is working on a fix for this. hopefully, this fix will be in a firmware upgrade and will come sooner rather than later.

the holiday shopping season is upon us and while I can recommend the K-x to friends and family, i will do so with reservation due to the battery issue.

hello, pentax. Please fix the K-x's battery issue now! Thanks.

11-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Thanks. I ordered some eneloops from Amazon a while back that came with a charger - I think it's called a CTA Rapid Travel Charger. Will that work, or is there a specific eneloop charger?
There sure is. Eneloops are made by Sanyo. When I bought mine they came as a kit together with a white 4 AA Sanyo NiMh charger which I presume 'knows about' the chemistry and charge profile of eneloops. Your charger, if it is Sanyo branded, may be perfectly OK.

But if in doubt, Amazon has several Sanyo eneloop chargers available, including one with 4 AA eneloops included for just $16.93. That's a pretty good deal for charger plus 4 AA eneloops if you are in doubt.

Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger: Electronics

I have 12 AA eneloops and am very satisfied with their performance in both my K-x and K200D.
11-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i've also tried NiZn's and the k-x starts up green, no issues. took 150 shots, meter still green.
The included Li batteries seem to work reasonably well for me. But, like you, I have also tried the NiZn's and they seem to work flawlessly.
11-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Also, for info and amusement, you can learn about and experience the whole battery issue via these Youtube videos:

(1) Using the Energizer Lithiums successfully:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmLxdUlkW8

(2) Using NiMh's (with issues)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPKgoG76bw

(3) A video response to (2), using NiMh's (eneloops) with NO problems AT ALL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRwoV1Yeac

Last edited by rawr; 11-27-2009 at 10:16 PM.
11-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
jup
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
You don't need Eneloop specific charger, or Sanyo charger for that matter, but you probably can't go wrong with one. What you really want is charger that charges each battery independently (ie. not in pairs), is microprocesor controlled (meaning it uses some form of delta V/peak voltage detection to tell when the battery's really full) and has some thermal protection. It's also probably good to avoid super high charging currents, like NoName 1hr mega super quick charger. It may charge your batteries, but it may harm them pretty badly in doing so. This applies pretty universally, but since K-x is so sensitive to what you put in, it's probably even more important to use good charger.

Personally, I use what's sold under the name LaCrosse BC-9009 in the US, since it can tell me lot of informations about charging process etc., but that may be an overkill. I think anything that Sanyo makes is fine, and you can get it with set of eneloops at pretty reasonable price. Other brands of course also work, you can ask around.

11-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

i used the eneloop charger for my eneloops and they seem ok.
my k-x battery displayed orange after using it w/ some video
after a while, they went back to green

video and LV takes more juice and obviously, the battery's voltage may drop after a while.

imho, the K-x's battery circuitry/firmware is overly sensitive. there may be a reason for that, but hopefully, an updated firmware from pentax should fix that.

merry christmas, pentax. hopefully, you guys are working hard (not hardly working ) at a fix for the K-x's battery issue.

The k-x is a nice little camera. Please Pentax, make it even a better experience to us by fixing the battery issue.

the world's k-x users will ...

Thank you. Arigato. Salamat. Xie xie. Merci. Danke. Spasiba. Blagodarya, Grazie, Gracias, Obrigado..... etc. etc. etc....

Last edited by opiedog; 11-28-2009 at 07:32 AM.
11-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Others will no doubt chime in... but my advice is:

- run the camera initially with the Energizer Lithiums that come with it, to get used to the camera;
- if you do decide to use NiMh's, stick with Sanyo eneloops and charge them with the eneloop charger. Eneloops are your most reliable NiMh bet;
- when changing the batteries, be patient. Give the camera a minute to test or identify the new battery type. It will probably work straight away.
- If there are issues, keep the batteries in the camera, turn it off and wait a bit more then try again. If this doesn't work, use the tricks people have identified to jolt the camera firmware - press LV, toggle the MF/AF, mount/unmount the lens etc.

But there is a high probability that everything will all just work fine for you out of the box and you won't encounter any weirdness.
i did exactly this with no issues
11-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

for me there is no issue with the kx it looks to me like issues with old or junk batteries.

buy a new set of eneloops or two to go with your kx set the kx to the right battery type and your sorted.
12-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #12

new eneloop wont hold more that 30 sec of video ...

this looks to me like an issue...

any advides?
12-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Be sure that you are running the latest firmware (1.01) it has just been released.
I'm currently using Uniross 2300 in the K-x and I have a Uniross charger.
Seems to work Ok, green battery indicator.
12-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Just install the new Kx V1.01 firmware. Early reports are saying it totally fixes any battery issues (besides the lack of a grip ....yet).