Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Card Locked" message on K20D.....

I went to use my K20D yesterday for the first time in about a week, and when I turned it on the screen just displayed a "Card Locked" message, and would not let me write to it. I'm assuming I just inadvertently hit a button (or some combination of buttons when I last put it in the bag - but I can't figure out how to unlock the card.
I've read the manual - to no avail. I've tried pushing the AE-L button twice when the message appears, but that doesn't do it. The camera itself is fine because when I slipped in my spare card I was able to write to that with no problems.

1) Any idea how I can unlock the card, and,

2) Any idea what I may have pushed before to lock it - so that I don't do that again!

Thanks in advance for any help......

Tim

11-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

What about the little lock tab on the card itself? In other words is the card actually locked? Have you tried another card?
11-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I second that.

First guess is either the lock tab is in the "locked" position or... broken.
I had both
11-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Look on the left hand side.....

11-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
the lock on sd cards is not what it seems.

Electronics-Lab.com Blog Blog Archive How the SD-Card “lock switch” works

you can see that the switch on the card, is not a switch at all. But depending on the position of the sd lock tab the sd slot has a switch that senses it.

Card can be locked, but if the device does not support the sensing you can still erase the card.

Try another card, if you get the same result its the sd card slot lock sensor switch. Something like seen at the following link:

http://www.myfixtips.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/lz5lock.jpg
11-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I went to use my K20D yesterday for the first time in about a week, and when I turned it on the screen just displayed a "Card Locked" message, and would not let me write to it. I'm assuming I just inadvertently hit a button (or some combination of buttons when I last put it in the bag - but I can't figure out how to unlock the card.
I've read the manual - to no avail. I've tried pushing the AE-L button twice when the message appears, but that doesn't do it. The camera itself is fine because when I slipped in my spare card I was able to write to that with no problems.

1) Any idea how I can unlock the card, and,

2) Any idea what I may have pushed before to lock it - so that I don't do that again!

Thanks in advance for any help......

Tim
The cause for this might be that the camera's casing (or your PC) is accidentally pushing the lock tab into the 'locked' position.

On one of my laptops, this is the case if I insert the card into the internal slot, although I've never experienced it with a camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

aaawww crap. my sd cards are being called 'write protected' by my desktop pc. both of my k10d's are in arizona right now. all i have is an ist*D and a couple of CF cards.... 8(
11-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's it!!!

Now that I think back, when I stuck the card in my card reader last week I had a little trouble - and I must have moved the lock slide when I was pushing the card into the reader. (I knew I hadn't locked it, so it didn't even dawn on me to check that. I thought it must have been some camera function I had accidentally tripped.)

Thanks to all for the help....

Tim