Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #16

Is it possible that your configuration that was causing slow display, and consuming compute cycles, could also be significantly increasing your battery usage? Just a thought.

-thepusher

11-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thepusher Quote
Is it possible that your configuration that was causing slow display, and consuming compute cycles, could also be significantly increasing your battery usage? Just a thought.
Good thought -
of course more processing/cpu cycles would consume more battery power.

I now have both distortion and CA correction turned off -
so maybe my battery shot count will improve -
but that's probably almost a given since my inconsistent usage would be the much bigger variable -
I did a lot of playing about since the camera is new -
I am now more or less just using it.

So keep fingers (and eyes?) crossed my shot count will improve.

The remaining eneloop capacity is a very encouraging as that really shows the Kx is capable to utilizing almost all the potential capacity of the eneloops -
but to a safe level for the batteries.

So although it seems to be a headache at the moment -
I think in time I may come to appreciate the Kx battery handling/usage.
11-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Note that the K-x manual only claims about 600 shots with eneloops. A similar camera (related sensor, same video capabilities) like the Nikon D5000 only gets just 510 shots per charge out of a dedicated lithium battery pack. You can expect decent performance out of the K-x on eneloops, but don't expect miracles
11-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Note that the K-x manual only claims about 600 shots with eneloops. A similar camera (related sensor, same video capabilities) like the Nikon D5000 only gets just 510 shots per charge out of a dedicated lithium battery pack. You can expect decent performance out of the K-x on eneloops, but don't expect miracles
Not disagreeing - but the K100D is a well known battery hog and according to its manual NiMH (2500mAh) is rated at 430/300 (normal/50% flash) and lithium AA at 660/570.
I regularly get over 1,000 shots per charge on eneloops and sometimes that is spread over 2-3 months.

Compared to the Kx which is rated 640/420 NiMH (1900mAh) and 1900/1100 lithium AA.

The only directly comparable batteries are the lithium AAs and the Kx is rated at between 2-3 times the number of shots to the K100D....

So could it be feasible that Kx may get over 1,000 shots per charge for my usage - since I already get 1,000 shots per charge on my K100D?

11-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
..So could it be feasible that Kx may get over 1,000 shots per charge for my usage - since I already get 1,000 shots per charge on my K100D?
It's certainly worth trying for and probably not impossible to get 1000 shots out of a set of eneloops on the K-x.

I am also a eneloop user and have taken a lot of measures to minimise incidental power usage. Although I do keep lens and CA correction enabled if I am using a modern Pentax lens, I do have Shake Reduction turned off by default, for example. I also have the camera stay 'dark' all the time (not just for power-saving, but because all these features annoy me), by disabling the blue LED, turning off the status screen, turning off instant review, turning off the mode dial guide display as you switch between modes etc etc. Oh, and I hardly use video or LV.

One day I will start a process to test exactly how far I can stretch a freshly charged set of eneloops.

We need a contest here to see who can go the furthest on a set of eneloops!
11-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
We need a contest here to see who can go the furthest on a set of eneloops!
There may already be a leader - not eneloops,
but the Maha Imedion LSD -

OutOfFocus reported at the bottom of post #194
(in K-x owners: NiMH batteries results please)
Imedions delivered 2,600 shots before exhaustion in the Kx
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
There may already be a leader -
Imedions delivered 2,600 shots before exhaustion in the Kx
Wow, that's impressive. I don't think anyone is going to be able to beat that, under test scenarios and especially in real life use. Give the man a medal.

I guess this means everyone can be optimistic about using eneloops (and clones like the IMEDION's) on the K-x.