Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 metering accuracy

I have several M series lenses that produce great pictures, but I am frustrated with the inaccuracy of metering with these lenses on my K10d. Not a problem when I can check a shot or histogram, adjust the exposure and reshoot. Not so good for candids or action shots. In your experience, is metering more accurate with M42 lenses or can I expect the same issues with them?

11-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are not alone

the K10D and K20D are well known for thier bright viewfinder, but the focusing screen that gives you this also has some undocumented features, specifically metering with manual aperture lenses.

I did some testing when I got my K10D, the conclusion is if you plan to use it mostly with old lenses get a split image focusing screen.

If you want to use it with some manual lenses and can focus withoug a split image screen, get one from an *istD.

see the post below for the difference in preformance K10D to *istD and K10D with the *istD screen.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/241716-post69.html
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
M42 metering with K7

Can anyone tell me if the metering with the Takumars is more accurate with the K7 (or Kx) vs. the K10D? It would be nice to not have to adjust the exp. compensation +/- depending on the lens and the selected aperture.
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Can anyone tell me if the metering with the Takumars is more accurate with the K7 (or Kx) vs. the K10D? It would be nice to not have to adjust the exp. compensation +/- depending on the lens and the selected aperture.
It's on my to do list.

I have been really bad lately. over 2000 shots into my K7 and I still have not mapped out exposure on my lens collection.

Note this is no trivial task, as I have 4 M42 lenses, 8 K-mounts, 2 KA mounts and 6 KAF/KAF2/KAF-J mount AF lenses.

when you consider testing each lens at each aperture click, that is about 250 frames to take, analyze, record data and plot.

Gut feel, just from going out and shooting, perfirmance is similar to the *istD metering, no huge swings in exposure as a function of F stop, but M42 still require exposure compensation.

12-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lowell, I'm with you on this one : K7 "manual" metering is on par with the *ist or the LL-60 equipped K10/K20...

Slight underexposure, slight aperture-related variations, but it's manageable...
12-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It's on my to do list.

I have been really bad lately. over 2000 shots into my K7 and I still have not mapped out exposure on my lens collection.

Note this is no trivial task, as I have 4 M42 lenses, 8 K-mounts, 2 KA mounts and 6 KAF/KAF2/KAF-J mount AF lenses.

when you consider testing each lens at each aperture click, that is about 250 frames to take, analyze, record data and plot.

Gut feel, just from going out and shooting, perfirmance is similar to the *istD metering, no huge swings in exposure as a function of F stop, but M42 still require exposure compensation.
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Lowell, I'm with you on this one : K7 "manual" metering is on par with the *ist or the LL-60 equipped K10/K20...

Slight underexposure, slight aperture-related variations, but it's manageable...
Thanks. I have been using a Katz eye split prism on my K10D which may be compounding my problem. It is nice to know that it may actually be better with the K7