Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to display the exposure in the lcd screen for the K200D

the K200D top lcd can't be viewed in the dark. There are times that i find it hard to use the viewfinder for setting an exposure. Is there a way for the K200D to display the exposure setting on the LCD screen?

11-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know of a way to use the LCD to see exposure changes live, although hitting Info shows them (as well as a lot of other stuff) you have set at the moment.

But really, I'm having trouble seeing why this would matter. The only situations where I can imagine any trouble seeing the exposure info in the viewfinder is in very bright sunlight. In those cases, the top LCD works great. In dimmer light, what's wrong with the viewfinder?
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The top LCD doesn't light up to my knowledge. I just went through all the menu options.
11-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't know of a way to use the LCD to see exposure changes live, although hitting Info shows them (as well as a lot of other stuff) you have set at the moment.
Wooaaaaaaaa
I cant believe I didnt know that untill now. Thanks for the tip!

And no, the top screen definitely doesnt light up on the k200d. I remember that because it was one of the reasons I was considering going for the k20d instead.

11-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hitting the Green button also shows the exposure info on the LCD, as does hitting practically any button on the back of the K200D - eg any of the 4 way controller buttons.
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But really, I'm having trouble seeing why this would matter. The only situations where I can imagine any trouble seeing the exposure info in the viewfinder is in very bright sunlight. In those cases, the top LCD works great. In dimmer light, what's wrong with the viewfinder?
When using a tripod and pointing it to the sky at night. kinda tiring setting the exposure.. thx for the tip it works by pressing the info button.
11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good point; I hadn't thought of that!

I personally deal with that primarily by setting the exposure (in M mode, or B if I wanted longer exposure) before even mounting it to the tripod. Night sky exposure for me is largely a by-the-book or trial-and-error process anyhow, as opposed to something where I relying much on feedback from the meter. Once my initial exposure is set based on wnhat I "know" it probably should be, I'd start the trial-and-error process by looking at the results and deciding how to adjust. I don't really need visual feedback on the current exposure settings in order to change them. I already know which way to turn the wheel to increase or decrease shutter speed or aperture.

Still, being able to get visual confirmation on the rear LCD of what I've got set is useful. The Info button does indeed come in handy.

11-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How about just carrying one of those handy Photon type keyring flashlights?

white LEDs are more generally useful but one can get them with different LED colors too - red for real night-vision preservation, yellow for good definition at lower light levels.

clones or affectionately called fauxtons can be under $1 -
real Photons may be more easily available but more pricey