Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #1

GX20 Grip - Charging

Hi,

I have just received my grip and was wondering about the battery charging.

Because one battery stays in the camera, is there a way of charging the batteries using the AC port in on the side of the camera?

I don't want to have to keep taking the grip off to charge the batteries. I don't understand why Samsung/Pentax didn't use the same method as other manufacturers and have both batteries in the grip.

Thanks.

12-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The AC port is for the AC to DC converter. You have to remove batteries to charge them.
12-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow seriously? So everytime I want to charge my inner battery I have to remove my grip? This is a bad design.
12-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chris9486 Quote
Wow seriously? So everytime I want to charge my inner battery I have to remove my grip? This is a bad design.
I agree, unfortunately this is the case with many(most) if not all DSLR's.

12-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
So what is the DC input for? I don't fully understand why it is there other than to power something.

My cousin has a Sony DLSR and the grip holds both the batteries so it is just a matter of sliding them out. I think I am just going to keep my spare out and only put it in the camera when I think I am going to need it. I am glad I only paid 71 for it!
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chris9486 Quote
So what is the DC input for? I don't fully understand why it is there other than to power something.

My cousin has a Sony DLSR and the grip holds both the batteries so it is just a matter of sliding them out. I think I am just going to keep my spare out and only put it in the camera when I think I am going to need it. I am glad I only paid 71 for it!
The PSU port is is useful for fixed and/or long term setups.
ie. studio and tethering or liveview, however the liveview does tend to overheat, but it is a good way to spare battery power in the process.

You're right about the Sony's too.
My wife uses an A900 at work and it too has integrated power with the grip(very handy), though I believe is it also powered by an outside source as well.
12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I tend to use only the battery grip slot, and leave the camera empty(I just like the feel of the grip, as well as the 2nd memory card and remote slots) - the tray for battery changes in the grip is so easy to use, and this way I can avoid this issue (with the caveat of having to carry a 2nd battery if absolutely needed). The only time I put a battery in the camera is when travelling, as 2 batteries of power is good for a week for my shooting style (conservative on the shutter release, usually).