Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Live view question

On the K-7, if I understand correctly you must press the AF button to get the camera to focus. If you change the point that you want to focus on you must press the AF button again. This seems to be sort of the same as preview except that in live view you see changes in whatever you are taking a picture of as they happen.

I hope I am clear about what I am asking. I would like a clarification of how live view works and how it is used. I understand that you can see depth of field and all that but I think that would be pretty much the same as preview so what if anything is the advantage of live view and how do you use it?

Mike

11-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The differenc between the dof preview and live view is pretty much exactly like the difference btwene a still photograph and a movie. One is a snashot of things as they were the moment you pressed the button; the other constantly changes to reflect the changes in the scene and your position. So dof preview is useful just for adjusting dof and exposure (eg, what happens if I change aperture) and is a very accurate if slow way of doing that; live view is useful for adjusting composition (eg, what happens if I move closer or further back, or zoom in or out) and is much quicker than using dof preview for this purpose. Although for most purposes, the viewfinder is the far better tool for that.
11-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Igilligan

Marc nailed it, I would add that I love live view (with magnification) for critical focus with my mf lenses. It works on my K20 and is very much improved on the K7
11-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I understand the difference between live view and preview. I guess what is confusing me is that the focusing ring on the lens doesn't turn when I am in live view and shift from one object to another that is further away. After a bit of observation the image on the LCD does seem to be in focus when I shift from on object that is close to one that is not. I am going to take some actual pictures and see if I can figure things out better.

Mike

11-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Moffet Quote
I understand the difference between live view and preview. I guess what is confusing me is that the focusing ring on the lens doesn't turn when I am in live view and shift from one object to another that is further away
Why would you expect it to? It doesn't when *not* in live view mode either, nor does any other SLR I know of, unless you happen to be in continuous AF mode (AF-C). I have no idea if AF-C works in live view on the K-7, but I suppose you could try holding the AF button down to see if you can get it to. I doubt you'll find it very impressive, though - AF in live view is very slow compared to the more traditional AF system that is used when not live view. I'd be surprised if it could keep up with moving subjects quickly enough to be useful.
11-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Why would you expect it to? It doesn't when *not* in live view mode either, nor does any other SLR I know of, unless you happen to be in continuous AF mode (AF-C). I have no idea if AF-C works in live view on the K-7, but I suppose you could try holding the AF button down to see if you can get it to. I doubt you'll find it very impressive, though - AF in live view is very slow compared to the more traditional AF system that is used when not live view. I'd be surprised if it could keep up with moving subjects quickly enough to be useful.
Thanks for your responses. It seemed to me that if you recompose based on live view you probably would also have to refocus. I don't really expect anything and doubt that I would use it. I was exploring various things in the manual and hit on this one to play with to try to understand how it works and rather or not I would want to use it. One of the first things I do with something new is go through the device as thoroughly as I can to identify things that I don't need or want.

Mike

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 12-03-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Clarify response
12-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Live veiw on my K20 more than i thought i would but if i do use it it's always on a tripod...mostly is just for composision as the K20 dose not have 100%VF that the K7 has plus it's handy to check compo when you have the camera close to the ground or in an tough posision...but at the end of the day the veiwfinder is always better than any LV. Because your VF on your DSLR is not constrained to pixels like your LCD on the back of your camera,Your Veiwfinder's resoultion is theroeticaly infinite especialy when it comes to fine focusing because in the digital age you can just take a shoot,reveiw the photo and adjust, or get a eyepeice magniferif you tend to need something that will help with fine focusing adjustment. Plus liveveiw tends to suck up battery life...

Not sure if this answers your question completly or at all but there my two cents...hope it help you mate...

Have a good one!!!!

Last edited by Ben Hunt; 12-03-2009 at 06:22 AM.
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Moffet Quote
It seemed to me that if you recompose based on live view you probably would also have to refocus.
Well, sure - again, just like when *not* using live view. That's the whole point. The best thing one could possibly say about live view would be if it made shooting *exactly* the same as with a viewfinder, only with a few more added features and benefits besides. On the other hand, if going to live view mode suddenly changed everything anyone ever knew about how to use a SLR, it would be worthless.

Basically, using liveview should be exactly like using the viewfinder, except you look at the LCD instead of through the viewfinder. Actually making it *quite* that convenient is difficult, but that's the goal.

So you'd use liveview if and only if for whatever reason looking at the screen strikes you as easier than looking through the viewfinder - like if you are holding the camera over your head, or have it on a tripod very low to the ground. Or if you wish to take advantage of the ability to zoom in to help with manual focus.

12-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #9

I'm still puzzled though... why should I have to press the AF button to focus when the camera is in Live Mode? Why not just press the shutter button (as I normally would outside of Live View) and let the camera autofocus the photo?

It seems goofy to have to sequentially press two buttons (first the AF button and then the shutter button) in order to take a photo while in Live Mode!
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

On cameras that work that way (requiring an explicit AF operation), I'd assume it's because the AF system used during liveview is much slower than the AF system used in normal mode, and people would find the shutter lag unacceptable if it were tied to the shutter button.