Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
K-X battery grip

Hi folks.
I am curious as to see if there is a battery grip available for the K-X?

11-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
Javier,

I may be misleading you from my blog. I have not seen any battery grip for the K-x. It would have been nice to have that as an option.

I got my white K-x delivered on Friday and so far I am thrilled with the new camera. But caveats sink in that you can't expect the same build quality like the K-7 or K20D. I find the plastic body too light and hollow to be a concern in durability. I get used to K20D or even K100D with a sturdy body and when my K-x white arrives, I feel like holding a Canon entry level plastic camera with a Pentax logo on it. Besides that, I am very thrilled with the camera.

The missing of the top display or single dial don't bother me as much as the LCD is much improved. The missing of red dot in focusing will be a problem if one rely it for precision such as macro and tele shot. But in general shooting as in street scenes, I am fine without the focal point indicator as long as I stick to single center point.

Thanks,
Hin
11-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
Hah, that is quite a response to whether the Kx will have a battery grip!

The short response is nope. It doesn't have electrical contacts on the bottom, nor an AC adapter port (which 3rd parties have used for previous models to attach a battery grip for power). Personally I also think it would be nice, but considering the actual size of the camera I find lenses to be more balanced when they are partially cradled with my left hand along with the body - this would be a more awkward position if you did have a grip (and I love my k20/grip - it never comes off the camera).

Hinman, you're the first to make that comparison on build quality - I find it solid and compact personally, definitely not my k20d, but by no means flimsy or well, canon-like.

The other notes you pointed out all come down to personal tastes, single dial, focus location dots are personal preferences and/or needs that you can get in the higher end model (or a pre-k2000 model), bottom line really.
11-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Hah, that is quite a response to whether the Kx will have a battery grip!
The short response is nope. It doesn't have electrical contacts on the bottom, nor an AC adapter port (which 3rd parties have used for previous models to attach a battery grip for power).
Aha, but the K-x does have the ability to take a AC adapter, just like the K-m/K2000 did, using AC adapter K-AC84 (pp42-43 of the K-x manual). Part of this is a plug out connection used by the AC adapter to supply a 6V (?) feed into the camera.

So there is some scope for some third-party to kludge up a battery pack that would potentially mount at the bottom of the camera via the tripod socket. That might happen if there was sufficient perceived demand for a K-x battery pack, I guess.

So perhaps keep your eyes peeled on eBay for a nimble Chinese electronics manufacturer to start offering something along those lines one day

11-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 48
I have posted this before - this is the battery grip for the K100D as with the KX it dosnt have a electrical connector on the bottom for powering the camera so it just has a slot for the open battery door and the battery shaped section simply goes in and powers the camera I'd be suprised if there wasnt a Kx version available one day
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by mike_perth Quote
I have posted this before - this is the battery grip for the K100D as with the KX it dosnt have a electrical connector on the bottom for powering the camera so it just has a slot for the open battery door and the battery shaped section simply goes in and powers the camera I'd be suprised if there wasnt a Kx version available one day
There isn't one for the K-m so dont hold your breath... but it may indeed happen.
11-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses folks. It is a shame there is no battery grip for this Cam. It would make a difference to me. A friend of mine got one and my first impressions where exactly as Hin's..I mean the same thing...The camera is really small and a grip would simply make it more appealing I believe...

Mike, Do u have a link as to where I might be able to purchase that grip? My son has a K100DS and has been asking me about a grip.
11-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
K100D Super Battery grip

NEW Camera Battery Grip for Pentax K100D Samsung GX100 - eBay (item 280430992413 end time Dec-09-09 10:10:39 PST)

11-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
Original Poster
Thank you. I just ordered one
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by mike_perth Quote
I have posted this before - this is the battery grip for the K100D as with the KX it dosnt have a electrical connector on the bottom for powering the camera so it just has a slot for the open battery door and the battery shaped section simply goes in and powers the camera I'd be suprised if there wasnt a Kx version available one day
Gee, that device looks SO close to something that would work on the K-x.

I must get my ruler out and measure up the K-x baseplate and compare it to this battery pack. It almost looks as if it could screw straight onto the K-x. Maybe with a file and some duct tape...

Anyway, if someone made something similar for the K-x, I'd sure buy one.
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 48
Yeah as I said "this is for the K100D" though Im pretty sure that someone in China already ir re-tooling for the Kx I had one for my K100D and Id buy another tomorrow worked really well and made the camera far more balanced.

Though would I buy one for the Kx.....well probably but to be honest I love the Kx because it is light and small plus Ive had no battery issues with it at all. So would it be useful probably and at 60 bucks why not!
11-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by mike_perth Quote
Yeah as I said "this is for the K100D" though Im pretty sure that someone in China already ir re-tooling for the Kx I had one for my K100D and Id buy another tomorrow worked really well and made the camera far more balanced.
Though would I buy one for the Kx.....well probably but to be honest I love the Kx because it is light and small plus Ive had no battery issues with it at all. So would it be useful probably and at 60 bucks why not!
Yeah, I wouldn't have it on my K-x all the time, since I also like the light and compact nature of the K-x, and really have had no battery problems either.

But I was out for an important shoot, or wanted to do a lot of video, a battery grip could certainly be useful. And if it was cheap, as you said, why not. You never know when it might come in handy.
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,690
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
But caveats sink in that you can't expect the same build quality like the K-7 or K20D. I find the plastic body too light and hollow to be a concern in durability. I get used to K20D or even K100D with a sturdy body and when my K-x white arrives, I feel like holding a Canon entry level plastic camera with a Pentax logo on it. Besides that, I am very thrilled with the camera.

Hin

Last night, I actually did handle an entry-level Canon (the Rebel Xs) alongside my K-x. No comparison, really. I honestly find that my K-x feels about as solid as my K20D did, just the grip rubber is less "refined" feeling and the overall body feels less dense, in a way.

However, maybe the white plastic has a different feel to it? Going back to the days of my childhood, different colors of lego blocks had different feels and levels of durability... in particular, white and purple pieces always developed cracks and broke after a while. They also had a slightly different texture to them that felt less solid. It makes you wonder.
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,427
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Last night, I actually did handle an entry-level Canon (the Rebel Xs) alongside my K-x. No comparison, really. I honestly find that my K-x feels about as solid as my K20D did, just the grip rubber is less "refined" feeling and the overall body feels less dense, in a way.
However, maybe the white plastic has a different feel to it? Going back to the days of my childhood, different colors of lego blocks had different feels and levels of durability... in particular, white and purple pieces always developed cracks and broke after a while. They also had a slightly different texture to them that felt less solid. It makes you wonder.
That is possible why I feel the way that I feel on the K-x. My copy is the beautiful white. I love white and hence I pick on white even if it means the feeling of cheaper plastic. Given the choices, I prefer the style over the norm and that is my irrational impulse in buying and there is not regret.
But honestly, I can't compare the build in the white k-x with that of my k20D or even my previous copy of K100D. Perhaps, the white color gives me the hollow and cheap plastic feeling that I have. The body is lightweight and that may add towards my somewhat negative impression on the build. I should look for a copy of K-x in black color and handle for comparison. I think I am the first one who reports this as a negative impression. This is likely solely my personal impressions. I love the K-x white but I sure do hope that the plastic is actually strong and sturdy like my past extremely good experience with K100D and K10D. Those old digital bodies were built to last and I sure hope the same stay for the K-x for all colors




I pair up the DA 40mm limited with the K-x white and it looks dead gorgeous to me for a small form factor and lightweight. I bought the combination for traveling light and hence, I will not think of the need of battery grip unless the grip has portrait shooting button with green button.
Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.
11-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
Hinman - maybe it is the actual plastic that is giving you this cheaper impression - I have held both, and the black model has that more textured, matte finish to it (like the older bodies, k20 included) - the white certainly isn't shiny or a finger print magnet, but it is a smoother plastic that does give a different feel. It also definitely comes down to personal opinions as well, which we are all entitled to (doubly so on the internet, right? heh)

I love the look of the white as well, it feels great with my old manual primes!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, camera, dslr, grip, k-x, k-x battery, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-BG2 battery grip for K10D or K20D (battery included) (US) pswann Sold Items 1 11-01-2010 11:37 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax D-BG2 Battery Grip in Like New condition + Generic Battery jjdgti Sold Items 2 07-15-2010 06:06 PM
For Sale - Sold: K10D/K20D Battery Grip DBG2 - w/extra battery bigben91682 Sold Items 5 07-06-2009 04:14 PM
For Sale - Sold: [EU] D-BG2 Battery Grip and D-LI50 Lithium-Ion Battery celetron Sold Items 0 06-19-2009 05:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: Brand New Pentax BG2 Battery Grip for K10D and K20D + aftermarket battery jjdgti Sold Items 3 05-07-2009 10:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top