Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New or improved feature list.

IF ANY MODS ARE READING THIS, PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE TO "List of desirable future features and improvements" OR SOMETHING SIMILAR, THAT SOUNDS CORRECTLY IN ENGLISH - you can delete this line after doing so.

I don't know if anything similar has been done before, but as far as i know most threads have been extended discussion on specific issues, or wild speculations in rumours section.

What i wanted to create is a list of features various photographers would like to see or get improved in future cameras, lenses, firmwares or other camera related stuff (flashes, pc software, interaction of named accessory groups).

With such list i hope it would help to point things that are ACTUALLY most needed or welcome (listed by large number of Pentax users), instead of multiple posts in many sections by the same users where they just repeat their opinion.

Maybe if we have such organised list of features "someone" will listen and may do something about the most required ones in addition to "their" planned ones .

So for the list to be clean, easily readable, and possible to generate some statistics later, i suggest using similar structure for all replies.
The general guidelines would be:

-Only one reply by each user, edit later if necessary.
-Single line per feature.
-If complex feature is wanted, try to split in multiple features.
-List the features in order of importance TO YOU.
-No bashing of features. (Like telling that something is complete s***t)
-No unnecessary praising of features or arguing with someone who thinks that certain feature needs an improvement.
-features are separated from description with empty line.
-if someone has mentioned the feature before, try to use the same text. (if someone has said better AF, don't use improved AF, unless it refers to different aspect, like faster AF and smarter AF)
-if the feature requires extensive discussion include a link at the end of line. (Link)
-simple explanation can be included. (if it fits within the line, after point and space, in brackets)
-short description and motivation, why the features are needed TO YOU. (3 to 10 lines recommended, after the list of features)
-Your gear or any relevant specifications after the description. (if not already included in your signature)
-Avoid existing features not present in your specific camera. (like dual e-dials, remote cable socket)
-Feel free to include features not present in any of the latest cameras, but found in older models (like TTL flash support, DFS disable).
-Avoid wild, impractical features. (useless, uneconomical, technically impossible and similar)
-Try not to discuss previous replies. (the point is to collect features needed by each member as seen from their current experience, not an opinion on others thoughts )
-Feel free to reply the way you think is the best, those above are only suggestions .
-Brief suggestions welcome in the description part.

This may sound a little like whining of everything being bad and in need of improvement, but it has a whole different purpose. I'm perfectly happy with my current k200d, but have some simple ideas i'd like to become available in future. So does the others i believe. It would be interesting to see most expected features, or important areas of improvement.

So here's my try:

QuoteQuote:
-Disable Dark frame subtraction.
-Remote capture. (standardised preferable, like TWAIN/WDM)
-Faster AF. (i believe this makes it more reliable as well, EVERYTHING is moving)
-Controllable mirror lock-up. (for instant, stable, shutter release with cable)
-AF drive mode selection. (SDM/Screw)
-Modular battery compartment. (accepts proprietary Li-Ion or cartridge for AA's)
-Lens/Camera AF diagnostic/calibration tool. (firmware, software or both, if the issues are so common, why leave only QC to user or leave them guessing)

I perceive DSLR as advanced photography equipment, so it is very disappointing to have childish software limitations or lack of key features, required for many advanced uses - the reason why your'e not using a P&S. Even in entry level.
Advanced uses means freedom of choice, or at least the potential to have it (like some video card's which you can software over-clock by voiding warranty upon the click of the UNLOCK button). Some of the reasons are important enough to not upgrade/expand and switch systems when my camera dies if there is no suitable replacement or a hint of such.
Happily using my k200d after my k100d was replaced by it because of unfixable defect. Missing the Remote Assistant support a lot (i like time lapses). Currently im settled to a simple kit zoom and one fast manual prime setup, avoiding upgrades to better lenses until SDM gets faster and reliable and flagship bodies get fully functional (especially DFS dissable). Camera equipment is expensive and i don't like Russian roulette. I've had my lesson with bad lenses.
In time i'll try to refine this post to correct language and overall quality.

Last edited by ytterbium; 11-29-2009 at 04:21 PM.
11-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Multichannel flash system (the camera and the flashes already handle 4 channels, it's just a matter of combining them).
- silent mirror mode (normal, quiet with a slowed-down mirror, and delayed with the mirror kept up as long as you press the shutter)
- movie removed from the mode dial and put on Live-view with a 1s press -> Manual Movie mode available!
- allow aperture choice with PK-M lenses to enable P-TTL (you set the same aperture on the lens and the camera)
- P-TTL Flash enabled with manual lenses (it works with m42, I tried) by adding a m42-dedicated F-- position before F1.2!
- Better SR handling for manual lenses (currently, does not take the focal length into account)
- ISO, EVComp, LiveView and Raw buttons could be used for custom functions...
11-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aside from the usual request for faster, more robust SDM AF lenses, I'd second the multichannel flash capability as well as disabling DFS.

But also to improve P-TTL flash output accuracy (as discussed previously ad nauseum) and perhaps longer DA telephoto lenses.