Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch In Focus ... doable with IR remote?

Just read the thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/51036-how-use-trap-f...tch-focus.html
and I wonder if that is possible to do (remotely) using the IR remote? There is no "lock" feature on this litlle mint sized IR remote I use.
For remote bird photography for instance, the writer uses an electrical "lockable" remote unit. Is this the only way one can step away from the camera and then let the Catch-In-focus do its job?
I do use the technique, without remote, as a focusing aid with my very difficult to focus "wide open" Zeiss 85/1.4 (manual lens).
JP

Last edited by jpzk; 11-29-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added info
11-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For attended bird photography I use a 20 foot extension on the Pentax remote button cable. I've done, "Trap Focus" with my K100D but its main purpose is unattended photos. One time I walked away for 90 minutes and the camera took 900+ photos of my subject: squirrels at a feeder. At least SOME part of each squirrel was in focus.

K100D. Pentax 50mm f2.8 Macro, Trap Focus.
Attached Images

11-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
For attended bird photography I use a 20 foot extension on the Pentax remote button cable. I've done, "Trap Focus" with my K100D but its main purpose is unattended photos. One time I walked away for 90 minutes and the camera took 900+ photos of my subject: squirrels at a feeder. At least SOME part of each squirrel was in focus.
K100D. Pentax 50mm f2.8 Macro, Trap Focus.
Leo,
I don't think I'd be carrying a 20 feet long cord but I see that you are getting some good results.
Any idea at all about this IR remote for what I want to use it?
JP
11-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

JP, if you're referring to the tiny remote (about 1"x2" and 1/4" thick) it's for taking your picture. In the Fn menu (on my K200D) it's one of the options - I just used it for taking a family photo - much easier than using the self-timer and running back and forth.

When the camera is set-up to take pics with the tiny remote, the red light on the front of the camera blinks.

Not sure how you'd use it with catch-in-focus since the idea behind it is to take a pic right away.

11-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
JP, if you're referring to the tiny remote (about 1"x2" and 1/4" thick) it's for taking your picture. In the Fn menu (on my K200D) it's one of the options - I just used it for taking a family photo - much easier than using the self-timer and running back and forth.
When the camera is set-up to take pics with the tiny remote, the red light on the front of the camera blinks.
Not sure how you'd use it with catch-in-focus since the idea behind it is to take a pic right away.
Yes I know!
But what I really meant was: a wireless trigger with a decent working distance, and that can be locked, the way one is supposed to use the Catch in Focus setup. I have "heard" of such RF triggers that can also activate the flash remotely, as well as the shutter.
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yes I know!
But what I really meant was: a wireless trigger with a decent working distance, and that can be locked, the way one is supposed to use the Catch in Focus setup. I have "heard" of such RF triggers that can also activate the flash remotely, as well as the shutter.
In other words, You want to LOCK the shutter button down with the cameras focus on a set distance. When something passing in the focus plane, the camera trips. Right ?

I can't help with the remote, but, Trap-Focus was made for this type of un-manned photography.
12-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
In other words, You want to LOCK the shutter button down with the cameras focus on a set distance. When something passing in the focus plane, the camera trips. Right ?

I can't help with the remote, but, Trap-Focus was made for this type of un-manned photography.
Exactly what I am loking for: a "lockable" remote which will be used for Catch-in-Focus (Trap focus in other words in some other Pentax cameras) ... and it would be even better if it could also trigger a remote flash!
R.F. needed maybe?
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #8

any ir remote should work .. the only thing is you may only get one shot of per button press on the remote. i just tried the above setup and was finally able to get catch in focus to work using my cheap 3$ remote i got on dealsextreme. can't wait to try this with taking some shots of my dog tonight.

12-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dapharmer Quote
any ir remote should work .. the only thing is you may only get one shot of per button press on the remote. i just tried the above setup and was finally able to get catch in focus to work using my cheap 3$ remote i got on dealsextreme. can't wait to try this with taking some shots of my dog tonight.
That is one nice piece of news and will try it out within a couple of days ... whenver times allows: Christmas time soon and already running all over!
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

JP
12-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Just wrap tape around the button of the remote you have already?

Worth a shot.
12-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
Just wrap tape around the button of the remote you have already?

Worth a shot.
Never thought of that ... worth a test-try anyway!
Thanks.
JP