Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has had 3 DSLR models recently: K2000 K200 and K20D, with the K2000 at the bottom of the range, the 20 at the top and the 200 right in the middle. It has things the 2000 doesn't, like weather sealing.

Buy a K200D if it's what you want. I think Pentax will come out with a mid-range DSLR to replace it soon, but then again I could be wrong.

11-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Better? No, I don't know of anyone who would claim that. Unless by "low light" you mean very slow shutter speed on tripod, as opposed to high ISO handheld. With very slow shutter speed (many seconds), some prefer the K200D because you can control whether or not takes a second "dark" frame (with the same slow shutter speed) for use in noise reduction, whereas the K20D always forces you to wait for that second "dark" frame. but for high ISO situations, the K20D is generally perceived to be better. I don't think the difference is very large, personally.
I'd be taking low ISO shots on a tripod. I saw some threads here about the K20D have some sort of issue with low light, but I think it was referring to High ISOs & autofocusing.

Thanks for the info!
11-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All DSLR have issues with AF in low light. The K-7 is better than most other Pentax models because it has a focus assist lamp, but the others are all basically rather similar, despite tweaks that make "somewhat" of a difference on some of the other recent models (K-m, K-x). In general, with a more powerful battery to drive the focus motor, the K20D will always focus faster than the K200D, but probably not by enough to really matter. As for high ISO performance, as I said, the K20D is also generally perceived to be better than the K200D - again, though, maybe not by enough to matter.

For slow shutter shots on tripod, sounds like you'll be happier with the k200D - you'll have the option of turning off the dark frame subtraction NR mode. Of course, that means you get more noise, but there are ways of eliminating that in PP that don't require a separate dark frame for each picture you take.
11-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Uh oh, I just noticed that the K10D and the K200D are the same price on BB!
I'm going to spend the next few hours reading all the threads here on that debate..

11-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
ALL of Pentax's dSLRs, new and old, are capable of capturing absolutely stunning images. In fact, I loved Pentax's first generation cameras a lot because of the classic Sony 6Mp CCD sensors, which just oozed vibrant colours and detail.
Amen, I have 3 *istD's and use them alot more often than I should considering I have a K20d and a K-x.

I say to the OP, get the camera you like and don't worry about it. Discontinuation just means you will most likely be able to get it cheaper than before.
11-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Amen, I have 3 *istD's and use them alot more often than I should considering I have a K20d and a K-x.
I say to the OP, get the camera you like and don't worry about it. Discontinuation just means you will most likely be able to get it cheaper than before.
Totally!

It's just that now the K10D is the same price as the K200D. The added (or would it be subtracted?) simplicity of K10D is appealing. I don't plan on using extensive scene modes (which are more present on the K200D), I want to dive in and really learn manual shooting... also, the backlit top LCD on the K10D is nice, too...

A lot of the threads here posted by people in my situation mention the fact the there are two dials on the K10D and one on the K200D , but I can only see one dial on the K10D..... are they referring to the K20D?

I know there's no definitive answer on which is better... but which camera is better?
11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D has 2 e-dials and is much more customisable than the K200D.
I'd go for the K10D hands-down. I've had one for over 3 years and has just been an awesome workhorse.

Have a look at the forum's camera review database for more information and user reviews on the cameras.
11-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Don't waste your time with the K10D or K200D. They were good when they were released but have now been superseded by the K-x, particularly because of the superior image sensor. Personally as a previous K10D owner, I would particularly avoid the K10D because of the dodgy AF issues cropping up.

11-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have missed out on hearing about these AF issues - what particuarly has the K10D done badly in this area?

For $300, I wouldn't be expecting it to outdo the K-7 or K-x.
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I may have missed out on hearing about these AF issues - what particuarly has the K10D done badly in this area?
For $300, I wouldn't be expecting it to outdo the K-7 or K-x.
Well the K10D has had it's share of problems, BF and FF issues being one of them, especially with some lenses like the DA 21mm for example.
There is also the issue of the K10D not focusing properly after the camera has experienced very heavy use.
Never encountered the problem myself but I'm stating here what I've been told by a good friend who is very experienced in all things Pentax.

Looking inside the mirror box, the mirror for the K10D rests on one side by a single pin visible when the mirror is flipped up. Over time and heavy use, the mirror gets tilted and misaligned ever so slightly as it flips up and down and comes to rest on that single pin. The K20D has the mirror resting on one pin as well. I believe Pentax is aware of the issue and has the mirror resting on two pins on the new K-7. I have been told this issue makes it hard to do AF adjustment as over time the degree of tilt will change. I guess this issue comes up with the K10D is probably because the model would have seen quite a lot of mileage by now. Now there are film cameras with mirrors resting on a single pin but but being digital, it is very easy to have very high shutter count for the issue to show up.

Last edited by creampuff; 11-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.
12-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #26

i was in op's situation a couple of months ago and i opted for the K200 because i prefer spending money on the lenses rather than on body.
the k200 feels perfectly in my hands and it is easy to handle. i believe i wouldn't like the extra volume and weight of the K10/20.
the only thing i am really missing is a direct access to changing the ISO. or maybe it's there but i can't find it...
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #27
Pentaxian

There is no direct way of changing ISO on the K200D - just the Fn button. Well, there's Sv mode, which is like P mode with the dial controlling ISO.
12-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #28
Forum Member

Just ordered a k200d refurb as a backup to the one I purchased new. It may be a long time till we see another weather sealed body with this kind of overall build quality in the mid-range price bracket.