Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Should I not buy a K200D now that it's discontinued?

After much research, and just when I thought I had my finally decided on my first DSLR purchase -the K200d- it's now discontinued!

I think I have a habit of liking things that the general marketplace doesn't....

My questions are (other than "why did they discontinue it?")-
Should I not buy a K200D if I find one?
What's going to replace it in Pentax's lineup?
Will it have a similar price/features?

Or should I just not worry about it and save up for a K20D?

11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They discontinued it because Pentax can only produce two bodies at once; mostly three but I do think K20d is gonna kick the bucket sooner or later as well (all the K20ds that can be produced are probably already produced). This doesnt mean that all K200ds have automatically stopped working of course

If you can find one then yes, you should buy it!

It's 'replaced' with K-m and K-m has also been replaced by K-x (some people would argue that the kxxxd line is dead since the featureset and body ergos are different).

I personally think K200d is of a camera than K-x minus the video, high ISO, and lowlight AF (although these three are reasons why I'm going to buy a K-x soon)..

If you can save up for K20d then you should go for it... that one is more of a camera than k200d, and the difference in price isnt massive. Keep in mind that it is a bigger camera though. I often hesitate taking out my k10d sometimes if it's just a short walk and took my K100d instead.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-29-2009 at 04:28 PM.
11-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

I hate to show my curmudgeon side so blantantly but I, for one, am getting more than a little peeved at this exponential speed up of change for change's sake, not only by Pentax but by almost every other manufacturer of anything.

I bought my K200d about a year ago - "state of the art" - and it's been a fabulous camera even with the kit lenses. With care, the K200d will be taking "state of the art" photos decades from now. Anyone who's researched the market and made the decision that the K200d is just what they need should BUY it.

Thanks, Pentax, for devaluing my K200d by 50% overnight just because your marketing department decided to add another bell and another whistle, a new name, and up the price for the next sucker to buy into.

The "art" of photography is NOT in the bells and whistles. Anyone who buys a camera so automatic that all they have to do is "point" and "shoot" is about as much an artist as the person who buys one of those electronic keyboards with the built in tunes, rhythm and accompaniment.

There's nothing artistic about the product of an automated machine. You could teach a chimpanzee to take photos with that kind of equipment (no disrespect to all you chimpanzees following along on my rant). And from the onslaught of rather average "me too" photos FLOODING the internet these days it almost looks as if chimpanzees are behind most lenses.
11-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fine dissertation rae2, even with the passion you put in it...

ALL of Pentax's dSLRs, new and old, are capable of capturing absolutely stunning images. In fact, I loved Pentax's first generation cameras a lot because of the classic Sony 6Mp CCD sensors, which just oozed vibrant colours and detail. Sadly technology must move on...

Nevertheless, the K200D is a camera to treasure - it too has a great CCD sensor, the last Pentax dSLR to have one thus far, and will continue to produce great images just fine for years to come.

11-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Go ahead and get the K200D if that's what you want. It's a great camera. I've been shooting my K200D for almost 1.5 years. It's a great camera. I bought it to shoot Race cars and Race boats which it does just fine contrary to what some people will tell you. The K200D is my first DSLR I came from shooting an ME Super in my film days. The lens I used for both of these pictures is a 25 year old manual zoom left over from my film days. I've got my eye on the DA 55-300mm zoom but it's going to be a while before I can get one.

Enjoy your new camera whatever you decide.

11-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's actually been discontinued for the better part of a year. Nothing terribly unusual in that - it's normal for a camera to be on the amrket for a while and then get replaced. It's just that the K200D was replaced with something at a *lower* level (the K2000/K-m), which was in turn replaced by something that is basically a step "sideways" from the K200D (the K-x).

Here's how I'd suggest looking at it: whether the camera you buy is already discontinued or not, rest assured, it *will* be within a year or so. Meaning unless you upgrade your camera yearly, it will probably have been discontinued for most the time you own it. Owning a a discontinued camera is just a fact of life, then. If it bothers you to own a discontinued camera, you've picked the wrong hobby.

Meaning, if the k200D suits you needs and you can get one, buy all means, buy one! I think it's a great camera, and hope Pentax does at some point come out with a worthy successor.
11-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Looking back on my question it does sound kind of dumb. Of course the camera will still function even though it's discontinued, and it's still a fine piece of equipment. I guess I was surprised because I finally found the features I was looking for- but now I can't find the camera as easily. They're all over the Bay though.

I am drawn to the K200D because of the features it offers at the price:
-Weather proof body
-Tough build quality (& hefty feel)
-In-camera IS
-The reputation of Pentax lenses
-CCD sensor
-Lens compatibility (I'd imagine it would be fun to hunt down & try old lenses)
-Top LCD
-Simplicity compared to Canon & Nikon's entry level DSLRs
-Bulb mode (I'm interested in night photography, too)

It seems like the K200D is the closest I can find to an old film SLR as far as simplicity of operation goes. No HD video or other bells & whistles.
I've been shooting on a Canon S3IS for the past few years, and while it's a nice camera it just doesn't let me take the wheel enough. It feels like I have to tell a little toy robot what I'm trying to capture, and then I have to hope he interprets me correctly...

What's a nice fast prime to get for the K200D?
11-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Checkout Best Buy. I've heard good things about their factory refurbs.

PENTAX - Factory-Refurbished 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - K200D

11-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #9

I have a K200D with around 2600 shutter activations that I'd be willing to let go.
You could PM me if interested
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

"Scranton" - I purchased the K200D for just the reasons you listed.
Love it! And I cannot recall seeing anyone on a forum who purchased it and later regretted it.
Oh, they may have chosen another model or eventually upgraded to a higher end newer model,
but not because they were so disappointed.
It has the makings of a fine "cult" camera that takes great pictures.
Plus one other feature. It takes AA batteries. Use the Eneloop batteries b/t/w.
Some people swear by AA's and others swear at them.
Having owned a lot of electronics in the past including a number of "scanner" hobby radios, I am reluctant
to buy anything with proprietary battery.
Try getting one 4 - 5 years from now in Bucharest or in Hilton Head.
AA's are always available in some form or another and mail order replacement Eneloops will
probably be available longer than the proprietary ones and at a much lower cost.
My opinion, of course.
11-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Checkout Best Buy. I've heard good things about their factory refurbs.
PENTAX - Factory-Refurbished 10.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - K200D
That really is a good deal! Anyone ever have any problems with a refurb? I could get a nice lens right away at that price...

Also, is it true that the K200D is better for low light than the K20D? I'm still not opposed to maybe spending a little more on a K20D...

@ CVSUAVE- Did you upgrade?
11-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

For starting out with a SLR, I can think of no better model than a discontinued one. The price premium is 0, and the technology you are buying is usually 6 to 12 months old. The one major technological difference in my mind that has come out is image stabilization and the K200 has it. Everything else is essentially minor upgrades to existing features (other than movies - but a SLR is a still camera).

The camera will continue to take wonderful pictures, and the lenses that you acquire are able to be used on a future body, if you decide to upgrade at some point in time. I have the K100 along with my K20 and the K100 still is taking wonderful pictures - I keep it in the truck all the time. You will also have a wonderful selection of new and old lenses to use. Its a real good combination of features, capabilities and price.

I just do not see a down side to the K200 (other than finding one - check the market place here on the forum)....
11-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by scantron Quote
Anyone ever have any problems with a refurb??
I bought my K100D from woot.com factory refurbished, and that was about a year ago. I love the camera and haven't had a single problem with it 4000 clicks later. I'm looking to pick up a K10D to compliment it soon though, and am considering the Best Buy refurb (if I don't find a better deal on the marketplace).
11-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm really liking that Best Buy deal!
Now to pick out a good lens or two. I'd like to get a versatile, fast prime first and get to know it. Probably a weather proof one (DA series, right?).
Then a zoom...
It sounds like the kit lens is actually pretty good, right?

Last edited by scantron; 11-30-2009 at 10:25 AM.
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scantron Quote
Also, is it true that the K200D is better for low light than the K20D?
Better? No, I don't know of anyone who would claim that. Unless by "low light" you mean very slow shutter speed on tripod, as opposed to high ISO handheld. With very slow shutter speed (many seconds), some prefer the K200D because you can control whether or not takes a second "dark" frame (with the same slow shutter speed) for use in noise reduction, whereas the K20D always forces you to wait for that second "dark" frame. but for high ISO situations, the K20D is generally perceived to be better. I don't think the difference is very large, personally.

As for lenses, if you browse the discussions in the Beginner's and SLR Lens forums, you'll see plenty of previous discussions on the topic. But the most widely available, cheapest MF primes that most people start out with are a 28, a 50, and a 135 - you should be able to buy one of each for not much more than $100. This site also has a Lens Review section if you're looking for feedback on specific models.