Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

For my K-x

i about to buy the following items for my K-x from amazon:
Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics
Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger: Electronics
Amazon.com: Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6 (SDSDX3-8192): BlueProton
i just want to make sure everything looks ok. any responses would be welcome!

Last edited by lukevega; 11-29-2009 at 04:30 PM.
11-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Go for it. Sandisk cards and that Sanyo charger/eneloop combo are all reliable performers with the K-x. If the price is right, do it.
11-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #3

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Eneloops (I have heard good things about them) but just letting you know that I use Varta NiMHs and am very happy with their performance in my Kx. Sometimes the battery meter drops off (to orange) a bit after taking several shots with the flash in quick succession but in a minute or two goes back to full. I haven't used them a lot for video so can't comment on that. I do keep a pack of Lithiums in the camera bag just in case but haven't had to open them yet.
11-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Duracell Precharged AAs are actually eneloops or rayovac hybrids and can be found cheaper then eneloops because people dont realize what they are.

Sandisk cards are reliable but check Memory Coupons and Deals for better deals.

Lexar 16gb for $23 or even a transcend 8gb for $18.. Both are good brands. Also heard OCZ is worth checking out. (8gb for $15) No experience with them though, Transcend and lexar have always been reliable for me.

11-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -Joe- Quote
Duracell Precharged AAs are actually eneloops or rayovac hybrids and can be found cheaper then eneloops because people dont realize what they are.
Sandisk cards are reliable but check Memory Coupons and Deals for better deals.
Lexar 16gb for $23 or even a transcend 8gb for $18.. Both are good brands. Also heard OCZ is worth checking out. (8gb for $15) No experience with them though, Transcend and lexar have always been reliable for me.

i heard about the repackaging deal. i just went to target and bestbuy, and they were both made in china; so, i am guessing they are the rayovacs. i really want the rebadged eneloops, if i am going to go that route.
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My advice would be to start with a quality, reliable kit (eneloops with Sanyo eneloop charger, Sandisk SDHC cards).

Then once you have that and it's working fine, and you need to add stuff like an extra SDHC card or two, or get some more AA's, only then experiment with other brands and specifications. It's good to have a baseline setup to start with where everything just works.
11-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My advice would be to start with a quality, reliable kit (eneloops with Sanyo eneloop charger, Sandisk SDHC cards).
Then once you have that and it's working fine, and you need to add stuff like an extra SDHC card or two, or get some more AA's, only then experiment with other brands and specifications. It's good to have a baseline setup to start with where everything just works.

thanks, that's probably what i'll do. amazon has a 4-pack of the duracell for $14, while i can get an 8-pack of eneloops for $21; so, they're cheaper anyways. thanks everybody for the input.
11-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
quick question though, and i'm sure i'll get opinions from both sides, but if the duracell white tops are rebadged eneloops, and i recharge those with my duracell 15 minute charger, which i do with great success, then can't i just use that to charge the real deal eneloops?

11-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukevega Quote
quick question though, and i'm sure i'll get opinions from both sides, but if the duracell white tops are rebadged eneloops, and i recharge those with my duracell 15 minute charger, which i do with great success, then can't i just use that to charge the real deal eneloops?
Hmmm. If you want everything - camera, batteries, SDHC cards - to work to specification, play it safe.

So I would recommend using a Sanyo eneloop charger with Sanyo eneloops. After all, it does say on the side of the eneloop battery: "CHARGE ONLY WITH A SANYO SPECIFIED CHARGER".

As I said, play it safe, get a stable setup going, and only then experiment. You don't want hassles - you want a reliable kit so that you can go out and take great photos!
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lukevega Quote
You can, and in the short term at least everything will work fine. In the long term, however, the really fast charging will wear out your batteries prematurely.