Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Went to Fry's Looking For a Small 4/3rds Camera, And What Did I Find ?????

Almost all are the same size as the Pentax K-x !!!!!
Picked up the Panasonic G1, and when you compare them, it is about the same size as the K-x, Picked up the Olympus's new 4/3rds and with lens, there is not a lot of difference if you put on a pancake lens. I could not believe my eyes !
Why would I spend $1000.00+ for the new Oly or Panasonic G1 or G2 when the K-x will kick its butt, every which way but loose.
I then looked at the Canons that they were selling (50D and 7D) ........ I would need an extra person just to carry them around, they are HUGE. I would give up photography if I had to lug those POS's around !!!
EVERY time I look at another manufactures camera, It makes me glad I have Pentax.
wll

11-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Comparing it with K-x with 50D or 7D isnt fair imo... those two are more powerful cameras... if compared to other offering's tiny bodies (nikon D5000 and whatever canon has), the size difference shouldn't be massive, but K-x is very good because of the impressive sensor / featureset. When you compare K-7 to other manufacturer's offerings of the same level the size difference will show more imo.

I think what gives pentax an edge in terms of size is not K-x body in itself but more the DA limited lenses. But as far as 4/3rd goes, some of them can fit into pockets where even the K-x with limiteds wont, so hourses for courses; although I agree that some of them like the ones you mentioned aren't that much of a size advantage from the K-x + DA limited.

my2c
11-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Why would I spend $1000.00+ for the new Oly or Panasonic G1 or G2 when the K-x will kick its butt, every which way but loose.
I have no idea why you would spend $1000+ on a panasonic G1 or olympus E-p1 or E-620 either, seeing as the G1 and the E-620 are similar in cost to the K-x at the moment and the E-p1 is only a couple hundred more, still well under 1k.

But really, it's absolutely true that you could get a more compact 4/3 setup than you could possibly get with the K-x. However, I agree with you that the performance wouldn't quite be on par, at least for my purposes, which is why I bought a K-x instead of the E-p1 I had planned for... for some people, the 4/3 system could easily have the advantage however.
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #4

QuoteQuote:
I would need an extra person just to carry them around, they are HUGE.
Yeah, but then you get the awesome, ridiculous performance that is the 7D. Come on, comparing the K-x (or even the K-7) to the Canon 7D is not even a comparison. These are fine cameras, but the 7D is in another league entirely.

11-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
Yeah, but then you get the awesome, ridiculous performance that is the 7D. Come on, comparing the K-x (or even the K-7) to the Canon 7D is not even a comparison. These are fine cameras, but the 7D is in another league entirely.
Well, let's not go overboard. The 7D is just another APS-C box, with an 18MP sensor. Let's wait until we get some results from some technical tests of its sensor performance (eg DXOLabs) before deciding whether it is in another league entirely from everything else in the APS-C space. It's SNR ratio and dynamic range in particular are going to be an interesting set of numbers. I suspect the 7D results will be fine, but not in any way stellar, and probably close to the results for the 50D.
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
Really? Not everyone agrees that the 7D is the be all and end all of dSLRs.
12-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Comparing it with K-x with 50D or 7D isnt fair imo...
Andi,

I wasn't comparing the K-x to the 50D or 7D, I was just saying how big they are, I should have worded it differently, sorry.

wll