Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My Next Investment

Hey everyone.
Looking at picking up a second camera body in the next month or two, and I'm not entirely sure what I want to go with. While the K-X seems nice, but its feature set seems rather limited, at least compared to what I want. I'm looking to start actually making money with photography, and a lone K100D isn't going to do that for me. I plan on doing little stuff, portraits, small events, all local stuff, nothing crazy. I can't a afford a K20D or a K-7. I will also be getting a 50mm f/1.7 soon. Right now here is what I'm looking at, with some pros/cons I've found. I would be buying refurbished or used. What do you think I should go with, and why?

K10D
Pros
-Li-Ion rechargeable batteries
-Huge feature set
-Front and rear adjustment dials
Cons
-Possible AF issues that I've been reading about
-Li-Ion rechargeable batteries

K200D
Pros
-AA Batteries
-Familiar (to the K100D that I already know), but limited feature set
-Slightly larger LCD than K10D
Cons
-AA Batteries
-Limited feature set

Both have a lot in common including:
-Availability of a battery grip
-10.2MP sensor
-Now standard dust removal and shake reduction
-Weather/dust resistant sealed body
-Price is about the same on the models

Could really use some help on this decision, thanks in advance.

11-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kx!

but from your list the k10d
11-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for K10D between your choices. K-x is excellent but is still a beginner's camera at heart.

But why not just go with a K20D? You say you can't afford it (at this stage ) but it's for your business...
It's definitely worth the investment. It is a significant improvement on the K10D in all areas other than long exposures (>15 secs).
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you choose a K10D, I will be listing mine in the Marketplace with or without the kit lens, also with or without the BG2 grip as well. I will be listing it later this week. This will be from my home in Atlanta while I am there during December and January.

PM me if interested.

Jason

12-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #5

not sure why you put batteries in the list as both types are in pros and cons of both cameras... not really a variable to look at for differences then...
AF issues are shared by all pentax as far as i understand, especially when compared to canikons.

K10 has a better viewfinder (definitely a pro) and its bigger and heavier (a pro or con depending on what you like)
12-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I notice you don't consider the vertical grip to be a pro. Is there one available for the K200? You will find for portraiture that the grip is a definite plus.
12-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, there is a grip for the K200D. It's the BG-3 and it's quite inexpensive compared to grips for other Pentax cameras. I think I only paid around $30.00 for mine. It lives on my K200D full time.

12-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
So far everything seems to be pointing to the K10D. The grip is a given, definitely a pro, I'd be getting it either way. I like a heavier, more solid feel. Reasoning for me listing the batteries on both as a pro and a con, is that I've been in situations where I'm glad I have the ability to use off-the-shelf batteries, but also feel that if I was using Li-Ion rechargeables that I wouldn't have been buying batteries as often, and might save money in the long run. A set of CRV3 lithiums for my K100D runs between $16-$20, highway robbery in my opinion, though I can get ~1000 clicks out of them if I don't use the LCD much. In response to "Why Not K20?"-I'm on a broke college students budget, the fact that I would be buying a K10 or K200 would be a miracle in itself. Yes, its for a business, I hope. There is no telling if it's going to take off even a little, just an idea. Kind of a gamble really.
Thank's everyone for your thoughts and opinions, I really appreciate it. Keep them coming if you have them though.
12-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning,

The K200 is a K100 body essentially with the guts of the K10. The K10 has the housing with the additional wheel (front and back), the additional controls, etc. So if you are looking for a semi pro camera body, its the K10.
12-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get the K200! I've read here on the forum about focus problems on the K10 - I would not consider it. It seems that as the K10 ages (wears), the mirror pivot slowly gets a wobble and changes it's position in the camera body, which leads to focus problems.
About the 2 wheels the K10 has - on the k200 - you turn the wheel with your thumb, and then while you hold a button with your finger you turn the wheel with your thumb. It works, and is easy to do.
Eneloops take care of battery issues. I recently came back from cruise where I took 469 pics ( some flash ) with my K200D and I never needed to change batteries.
The battery grip is much cheaper for the K200 than for the K10.
The K200 is smaller than the K10. I like the feel of the k200 in my hand. I understand that this is a personal preference. Try the fit for yourself.
GP
12-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Get the 20D, the ability to calibrate af on 20 lenses is a god send, it's the best feature of any camera I have used.

Oh, and L-Ion is a pro not a con, AA's are for adults who sleep at night with a security blanket and a pacifier.
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Get the 20D, the ability to calibrate af on 20 lenses is a god send, it's the best feature of any camera I have used.

Oh, and L-Ion is a pro not a con, AA's are for adults who sleep at night with a security blanket and a pacifier.
...and like the added weight of 4 AA's.
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Who likes 'more weight' and shoots Pentax? That's what Nikon and Canon do well ... weight .. and plenty of it.
12-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Get the K200! I've read here on the forum about focus problems on the K10 - I would not consider it. It seems that as the K10 ages (wears), the mirror pivot slowly gets a wobble and changes it's position in the camera body, which leads to focus problems.
GP
Can anybody back that up? I'd like to hear some personal experience with it, not "I read", or "I heard". Not that I don't trust anyone, just would like some more information. That's definitely a concern of mine, but I'd like to know if it really is going to be a serious issue if I were to buy a factory refurb. This might be the deciding factor- Almost a 50/50 split between the K200D and K10D.
12-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #15

Original Poster
Meh, I've decided on the K200D. Reading a ton of threads, and I'm seeing K10D reliability issues cropping up everywhere. Both are weather sealed, have an available battery/vertical grip, and share a ton of other features. The familiarity of my K100D with the guts of a K10D sounds like a good idea, and while it doesn't have as many buttons, knobs and other trinkets, I can make due. The smaller body fits in my hand much better as well. Either camera would more than get the job done at the end of the day, but I think I've made up my mind. Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.