Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #1

Old Lens on K-x

My dad has a old Pentax Lens, I don't really know much about it, but when ever I put it on my camera, turn it on I can't take any pictures, and the F is flashing a blank number.

Any body got any ideas on how to fix this so I can use this other lens.

12-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K-X, but F flashing a blank number is normal I'd think. The camera is unaware of the max aperture on older lenses, which have no mean of communicating electronically with the camera the information. On my K10D, you have to set a parameter to enable the camera to close the diaphragm when you take a photo. You have to work in Aperture priority mode or manual otherwise the diaphragm never closes. Check you owner manual for the appropriate setting on the K-x
12-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I don't have a K-X, but F flashing a blank number is normal I'd think. The camera is unaware of the max aperture on older lenses, which have no mean of communicating electronically with the camera the information. On my K10D, you have to set a parameter to enable the camera to close the diaphragm when you take a photo. You have to work in Aperture priority mode or manual otherwise the diaphragm never closes. Check you owner manual for the appropriate setting on the K-x
Thats what I figured, and I put it in manual and aperture priority mode (as well as every other mode), but I can't change the setting in anyway. I'm turing the wheel, going threw the menu but nothings happening.

Does anyone with a K-x know if its something in the menu that I am just missing?

Thanks
12-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the custom functions menu you need to enable use of the aperture ring.

12-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
In the custom functions menu you need to enable use of the aperture ring.
Thank you, that worked prefect.
12-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And then check out the sticky thread on using manual lenses in the Beginner's forum for a full explanation of the process of stop-down metering - you can't just use Av mode. Well, you can take a picture in Av mdoe, but the aperture ring is ignore - it shoots wide open. If you want to actually use any other aperture, you have to follow the instructions in that thread,
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

hi there!
on my flickr you can find several pictures taken with a couple of old Pentax manual lenses. Namely, 50mm f/4 macro and 50mm f/1.7.
Just look for the tag "Pentax-M" through my recent sets.