Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #1

K-7 Capacitor Issues?

Hello all -- I've been lurking for a while, finally got motivated to speak up...

Just curious -- has anyone run into problems with the capacitor in the k-7? Whenever I take out the battery to charge (about once/week, usually overnight), the camera loses all of the date & time settings, and I have to re-set. I spoke with Customer Service & they agreed it sounds like a warranty issue...

But it breaks my heart to have to send it away & be without it for the next month. Back to my *istD ...

12-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No such problem for me.
12-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
To fit a capacitor in the K7 it'd have to be fairly small and i doubt it would hold its charge for more than a few minutes at best. I'd be thinking more of an internal battery to keep power to the date settings and such
12-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mine is fine....

12-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think this is a common issue but best to get it looked at now and not have it linger after the warranty expires. Also to a post above, a capacitor to keep the settings would easily be very tiny and most likely the cause. They haven't used internal batteries since the *istD series.
12-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I'm hoping it's just a random fluke and a quick fix, nothing more complicated or serious. There were no other symptoms, thankfully. Both customer service reps I spoke to suspected the capacitor as the culprit.

So, it's off to Arizona for repairs. And I'm counting the days until its return...
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #7

Never had this problem. I think that's not a normal behavior. I'm also charging overnight, but the camera has always kept the settings.

12-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well most likely it's a supercap, capable holding it's charge longer than few minutes.

So unless you are changing your batteries with camera on (that could drain the supercap rapidly) or in any other odd configuration, it is most likely a defective part from it's original manufacturer you should simply get exchanged.
12-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've left the battery out of both my K10D and K20D for over 10 hours and have never had settings reset. Definitely sounds like memory backup power is faulty.
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cnielsen Quote
Thanks, all. I'm hoping it's just a random fluke and a quick fix, nothing more complicated or serious. There were no other symptoms, thankfully. Both customer service reps I spoke to suspected the capacitor as the culprit.

So, it's off to Arizona for repairs. And I'm counting the days until its return...
I'm curious -- how long did it take?
02-23-2010, 04:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Well most likely it's a supercap, capable holding it's charge longer than few minutes.

So unless you are changing your batteries with camera on (that could drain the supercap rapidly) or in any other odd configuration, it is most likely a defective part from it's original manufacturer you should simply get exchanged.
I agree, it's likely that a supercap is employed to maintain the user settings, if it can't manage to keep the settings for more than a few minutes with the batteries out then the camera is probably defective.

For anyone who wasn't aware of the Supercap type devices (which also come in the form factor of a small button cell) see:

Electric double-layer capacitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-23-2010, 04:39 AM   #12

mine works well....