Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #1

Photoshop CS3 won't open Kx PEF files

Is there a Camera Raw update that I'm missing (I currently have 4.6)? Is there any other software I can use to open the files?
Thanks, Romeo

12-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You could try using the included Pentax Software.
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no support for K-x RAW files in Camera Raw yet (currently 5.5).

Even so, you'll need to upgrade to CS4 to use ACR 5 or higher.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RomeoCrugnale Quote
Is there a Camera Raw update that I'm missing (I currently have 4.6)? Is there any other software I can use to open the files?
Thanks, Romeo
ACR is up to 5.6 RC1 nowadays. It fully supports K-x PEF.
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.6

If you save your RAW files in DNG format in-camera instead of PEF, you could probably open them even with ACR 4.6, although I am no Adobe expert.

And yes, if your ACR doesn't work, use the supplied Pentax software to open your PEF's.

12-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks, Romeo
No. Camera Raw for CS-3 ended at 4.6, IIRC. It will not ever be able to open files for any camera that came after that update. This is why I shoot DNG. I don't have to worry about which Camera Raw I am using.
Adobe has a free DNG converter which will conveet your K-x PEFs to DNG, which you can then open in CS-3.
Personally, I'd just start shooting DNGs and make your life easier.
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks, Romeo
1) LR3 Beta is free and you can use it for quite some time ... also there are free raw converters like Rawtherapee (read their forum first - the last version needs some extra step to work normally) and UFRaw, etc... if you are on Mac there is a Mac only RPP which is good... finally there are things like Picasa and so on.

2) you can convert PEF to DNG or shoot in camera DNG - but ACR v4.6 is 2 generations old (ACR v5 and LR3 Beta - 2 generations) anyways so why do you want to use a subpar raw conversion ? if you are inclined to use Adobe raw conversion - get LR3 Beta.
12-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
1) why do you want to use a subpar raw conversion ?
You've said this in another thread and I challenged you to come up with some sort of evidence that the newer ACRs were significantly better than 4.6 at raw conversion.
I haven't checked recently, but I kept an eye on that thread for a few days and you never did come up with an answer.
I am still switching back and forth between CS3 and CS4, as I prefer CS3 for a few tasks. So far, I haven't seen any difference at all between the renderings.
CS4 does offer a few more cool options, but the renderings themselves don't seem different to my eye.
So, what am I missing, pray tell?
12-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Gir

Either shoot DNG or (I've given up shooting DNG because the K10D doesn't use compression with DNG so I use PEF to save card space (about 50% more picture/card) and convert them to DNG when importing in LR 1.3 (DNG compression is the applied)) use Adobes free DNG converter.
A friend of mine has thee same problem with his E-620. PS CS3 won't open the raw files and was about to shoot JPEG only when I caame up with this idea. He downloaded the current version and it works. It's a step more, yes, but this saves you some money. Give it a try.

Ah, DNG compression is lossless.