Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
k20d high speed flash sync

Hi, i want to know what does this function mean exactly, does it mean that by using an external flash of any brand, the sync speed can be more than 1/180?

the manual says that using a af540fgz you can sync faster, but it doesnt say if using another flash it will work... my nikon d70s syncs until 1/500s with any brand...

12-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Dom
Guest




Good question I'm going to have to have a go with my sigma flashes and see how high I can go.
12-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ste-Anne des Plaines, Qc., Canada
Posts: 2,014
It also works with Sigma and Metz dedicated flashes.
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
Original Poster
i use a nikon speedlight sb 26, but i cant try it till next week...

12-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
It wouldn't be a Pentax-dedicated flash and so I'm not sure this flash would give you HSS with your K20D.

HSS enables you to use flash at shutter speeds as fast as you like, the flash compensating for the shorter shutter speeds by increasing output to adequately illuminate the scene in the mode.

It's useful for adding fill flash in already well-lit scenes.
Look down below at the similar threads section for more details...
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,026
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It wouldn't be a Pentax-dedicated flash and so I'm not sure this flash would give you HSS with your K20D.

HSS enables you to use flash at shutter speeds as fast as you like, the flash compensating for the shorter shutter speeds by increasing output to adequately illuminate the scene in the mode.

It's useful for adding fill flash in already well-lit scenes.
Look down below at the similar threads section for more details...
Actually, I thought that HSS decreases the flash output.

The normal sync speed of 1/180 second is the fastest speed in which the shutter is completely open. At faster speeds, the trailing curtain begins closing before the leading curtain has completed its travel, resulting in a moving slit across the sensor.

A normal flash usually has such a short duration that it won't be on for the entire time that moving slit makes its way across the sensor. This results in unexposed sections of the image.

With HSS, the flash unit flashes multiple times, as the slit moves across the sensor. These flashes are too close together for the human eye to distinguish the individual flashes. HSS requires that both the camera and the flash unit have the capability and that they speak the same language to each other. IOW, not all flash units will do HSS with a Pentax camera.
12-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
That's true and also I doubt that the Nikon would do that either with any brand or model. The flash and camera need to talk to each other because the flash it sync'd to the travel of the curtan.

The output is greatly reduced because the flash has to fire almost continuously as the shutter curtain moves. To do this there's no time to recharge the flash and it is using only the stored charge. So it might have to fire 4 times for the exposure (a guess), thus each flash will be approx 1/4th the output of a full power shot at 1/180th
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
That's true and also I doubt that the Nikon would do that either with any brand or model. The flash and camera need to talk to each other because the flash it sync'd to the travel of the curtan.

The output is greatly reduced because the flash has to fire almost continuously as the shutter curtain moves. To do this there's no time to recharge the flash and it is using only the stored charge. So it might have to fire 4 times for the exposure (a guess), thus each flash will be approx 1/4th the output of a full power shot at 1/180th

I was just wondering how my d70s can sync at 1/500...

12-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Points taken Paul - you're right.
gybp - your Nikon D70 is able to HSS with your Speedlight because they speak the same language.
Pentax and Nikon don't communicate well together if at all (that says a lot) but a Pentax-dedicated flash that does speak the same language as Pentax cams can sync up to 1/4000 secs.
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
I was just wondering how my d70s can sync at 1/500...
Probably because (I have not researched this) that the camera goes into a different mode at higher sync speeds. Instead of taking the shot and the shutter curtain moving across the sensor. The shutter remains open and the sensor turns on and off like a P&S camera would. Same way all these DSLR's are shooting video now at 24 and 30 FPS. It's an "electronic" shutter.
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Points taken Paul - you're right.
gybp - your Nikon D70 is able to HSS with your Speedlight because they speak the same language.
Pentax and Nikon don't communicate well together if at all (that says a lot) but a Pentax-dedicated flash that does speak the same language as Pentax cams can sync up to 1/4000 secs.
i always shoot manual mode
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,026
QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
I was just wondering how my d70s can sync at 1/500...

The D70, unlike most dslrs (even most Nikon dslrs) has an electronic shutter, in addition to the mechanical focal plane shutter. I believe that, when synching at higher speeds, the D70 actually holds the FP shutter open longer, and uses the electronic shutter to sampe the sensor data for a shorter period of time.

But, then, I don't own a D70 and I am not an expert on them. My brother does own a D70 and a D200. The D200 can "only" sync at 1/250, because it lacks the D70's electronic shutter.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, photography, sync
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D High Speed Shutter Flash Sync ?? WalterGA Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 11-04-2009 10:23 AM
high speed sync MGV Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 10-23-2009 11:44 PM
high speed sync DanLoc78 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 10-01-2009 04:26 PM
K20D High Speed Sync Question thomps6s Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 12-03-2008 09:48 PM
Flash high speed sync. Deni Photographic Technique 22 08-26-2008 02:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top