Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree, Peter, that some of the issue is marketing, but some is the lack of upper end cameras. There is a strong perception out there that professionals shoot with Canon and Nikon. This comes from their presence in full frame markets, as well as the fact that they have some (amazing) long glass.

I am convinced that a lot of Canon and Nikon's rise to dominance came because of sponsorships of professional photographers. I don't know that giving a kx to Tiger Woods (as you say, bad example right now) would be as worth while as getting some professional photographers at say the Olympic swim trials to use Pentax. Won't happen, because Pentax doesn't currently have the lenses and bodies to do it, but I think that would make a big difference.

Product placement is important as well. I don't think the K7 can be every where, but certainly getting Walmarts to stick a Kx on their camera counter along with the Nikon D40, etc would boost sales.
This, of course, is why Canon and Nikon use Annie Leibovitz and Joe McNally in their ads instead of Ashton Kutcher and Maria Sharapova.

12-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, Pentax needs to market their cameras and on a consumer level. They no longer have the name recognition they once had in the 1970' and 80's. I can remember walking around Busch Gardens with my kids in the early 80's and most of the SLR's people carried were Pentax. Now, you rarely see one at all. A whole generation has grown up not even knowing that Pentax exists. I don't ever see the cameras in a store. I haven't seen an ad for Pentax ever on television. Once in a while, I'll see an ad on a webpage. Big deal! Somebody sees and ad in a magazine somewhere and it usually generates a thread in the forum.
12-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #48

Hey guys, new to the forum.....just got my K-x, my first dSLR...love it!

Does anyone get the channel ShopNBC? A couple weeks ago they had the K-x in all 4 colors as their "Our Top Value" for the day for $593 w/ 18-55 lens and some software. They had presentations on this camera all day long, multiple times. Just wondering if anyone caught this besides me? I thought that was pretty good advertisement.

I actually ended up buying mine through them for that special. They had a very knowledgeable guy with Pentax on the shows showing the different features and such. I had never owned a Pentax before, but I knew Pentax was the brand the Beatles used in the early 60's (hey, I'm a young guy). Did a lot of research (including finding this place) that night at midnight when the camera went on sale, and liked what I read so I decided to go for the K-x.

I'm living proof advertisement works......I never would have known about the K-x had it not been for ShopNBC. And I just happened to be in the market for a new digital camera as my old one broke. Pentax needs to get out there a bit!!!
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #49
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Hey Dr Dive. Welcome to the forums and to the world of Pentax. Your story is exactly my point. I'm glad to hear you found the shopping channel with that show. Sounds like a great promo.

But your story is exactly my point. Pentax needs TV. Maybe targeting certain markets with what budget they have but they need to get the word out.

It works and this camera, the KX, is the perfect vehicle to use. IMO the Nikon ads that end in "This ad was entirely shot with the new D5000" Frigging brilliant. Because the next time a Nikon ad comes on the interested consumer is watching the ad much more closely to see how good the video is.

12-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #50
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
A post like this makes me smile.
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr. DiveWatch Quote
Hey guys, new to the forum.....just got my K-x, my first dSLR...love it!

Does anyone get the channel ShopNBC? A couple weeks ago they had the K-x in all 4 colors as their "Our Top Value" for the day for $593 w/ 18-55 lens and some software. They had presentations on this camera all day long, multiple times. Just wondering if anyone caught this besides me? I thought that was pretty good advertisement.

I actually ended up buying mine through them for that special. They had a very knowledgeable guy with Pentax on the shows showing the different features and such. I had never owned a Pentax before, but I knew Pentax was the brand the Beatles used in the early 60's (hey, I'm a young guy). Did a lot of research (including finding this place) that night at midnight when the camera went on sale, and liked what I read so I decided to go for the K-x.

I'm living proof advertisement works......I never would have known about the K-x had it not been for ShopNBC. And I just happened to be in the market for a new digital camera as my old one broke. Pentax needs to get out there a bit!!!
ShopNBC ? OK, so Kx is the camera for a real Dem... now if we can cover Gops with Fox-something ? I guess Hoya made an error by not making it in stars and stripes version...
12-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #52

Twitter

If you have a twitter account and are a photographer you could just write something about recommending the kx. Could help increase brand awareness and credibility a little bit more...
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Yeah, let me advertise Pentax for them... Seriously? Let them advertise themselves. Maybe when their market share in the US hits less than 1% they will realize they screwed up by not putting the product in the stores.

12-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Sitting here watching a hockey game.

So far I have seen two Nikon ads, and one Canon.

But then, even if Pentax had TV ads, do they even produce enogh cameras if demand increased? Maybe Pentax sells all the cameras they can produce, and any more ads would result in a demand they cannot meet? But based on the number of K200D's and K20D's for sale after they were discontinued, I doubt high demand and low availablity is a problem Pentax would not want.
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This camera should be on the top of every new, amateur or advanced shooters wish list.
68deluxe, Sorry I disagree. Do you really think that a new or entry level buyer cares one bit if there's a red dot in the center of the screen? Nope not at all. They don't even know that some cameras have this.
You're not being consistent, Peter. If it should be "on the top of every...advanced shooter's wish list," then the comment about what new or entry level buyers care about (or don't) doesn't make sense.

From my perspective, as an "advanced" user, even if I were interested in the newest APS-C cameras, which I'm not, since I want a FF dSLR, I wouldn't give the KX a blink. It is too damn small for my taste (I have bigger than average hands), without even an optional grip to make it somewhat tolerable. It has only a single control wheel on the body, and I'll be damned if I'm going to deal with THAT aggravation - if I have to control both aperture and shutter speed from the body, I definitely want a control for EACH, separately. You may feel that the digital Rebel body is "inferior," but you can get a grip for it, and your choice of available lenses is much greater.

Pentax isn't going to rebuild its franchise from the bottom up, they need to bring out a FF and provide potential (and current) customers a substantial reason to choose - or stay with - the brand.
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Camera bodies sell lenses. Lenses make profit. Profit makes R&D money and marketing money available. Marketing money sells more cameras which sell more lenses which make more profits. R&D money produces SDM II and new FF bodies, new lenses we want.
I think that the current business model has changed; it's no longer "sell them a camera and that brings downstream lens sales," it's more like "sell them a camera and once they're committed to the lens mount, sell them more camera body upgrades." Quite frankly, the camera makers have never been guaranteed lens sales due to selling cameras anyway. Third party lens makers can often provide all the lenses you need, without so much as one camera maker OEM lens in your lineup. The Pentax SDM issues in fact encourage Pentax buyers to look elsewhere for (new) lenses. Further, entry level bodies are related to lens sales very little, since many entry level buyers buy the camera and kit lens and never go beyond that. "Bottom feeding" with nothing but entry and lower end cameras is not going to expand Pentax's horizons, they need the higher end stuff NOW, already.
12-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

geez, I know whose profile to look through next time I want to find all of the current FF related threads.

You are certainly right most people never move beyond the kit lens, so it does make sense to push towards first time buyers then, since it will be their only buy. Other people enjoy this as a hobby, and end up spending a significant chunk to get the results they end up wanting. I think that the DSLR segment as a whole is growing at such a significant pace that it can't hurt pentax to capture both the former and latter markets (and choosing the one with the biggest potential profit to target first also makes the most sense from a business perspective).
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

If this has been touched on then I apologize for bringing it up again - I did not read ALL of the postings. Over at another new camera forum (Steve's), every time some one lists what they want to use the camera for, and includes any reference to kid's sports, the autofocus item comes up and it has to be Canon or Nikon to get anything in focus. Yes- their AF is better, but from what I have read here and other places K7 and KX has improved quite a bit, still not a equal match, but not as bad as before.

Also, soccer mom and dad are not sports photographers journalizing juniors every move for the hall of fame, but they need professional level gear to get that one Putilizer prize winning catch of junior which will get him a football scholarship to Harvey Mudd, so that he can go play for the Yankees and then teach celestial mechanics. I know every one wants the absolute best, but the instant sports is even hinted at, Pentax is not a player and you are going to have nothing but problems in focusing, and your softball photos are going to be pretty poor......

So in the end, even if folks hear about Pentax, the "it can't" mantra gets started that its almost impossible.

The other day, I read a piece that - you can't depend on Pentax since Hoya is shopping them around, so do not consider them as a stable camera vendor.....

So, its peeling an onion, here folks...
12-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Peter,
I am just worried that Pentax might be overwhelmed by the R&D costs necessary to compete with the big two, let alone the marketing. I am wondering if this is why we have heard more than once from Hoya, that Pentax is looking for a "partner" of some type.

Here are just a couple of technology issues we are working against:

-The new DSLR user doesn't care about body shake reduction. Even cheap C&N kit lenses now have IS or VR so to them it is a non-issue. Only the purists think that they need to have body SR so they can mount an old prime lens. Those people are not buying entry-level DSLR's.

-AF speed: this is a very R&D focused area. True or not, C&N have a reputation for very fast AF so they can catch running children better. You are not going to convince people otherwise without some revolution in capability.

-lens focus technology: C has been doing in-lens ultrasonic AF since something like 1998. Pentax started a couple of years ago, and even in their premium DA* lenses, are using a technology that C uses only in its cheapest of the cheap lenses.

I hope Pentax finds a big technology partner soon with the resources to compete both in R&D, QC, as well as marketing.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 12-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #60

Photos: Albums
Well, if i might add a my opinion, it's just a matter of going "door to door". In the 5 months since I bought my K200D i've already convinced 3 friends to buy the Kx, versus a D5000 or T1i. The best part is, the camera sells itself, they only need to try another pentax before buying one... Keep in mind that we're in Chile, not the US, and most of the publicity here is for Sony, with Nikon and Canon just behind.
On top of that, the Pentax distributers here sell the camera at veeery bloated prices, so that the cameras lose their main selling point inmediately. To further screw things up, they bring a really limited amount of lenses at the same price levels...
Even with all of this, my friends bought the Kx. They're all engineers, not photographers, and if i had to say what "sold" the camera, it would definitely be the backward compatibility, green button (or whatever the Kx equivalent is), double AA's and high ISO performance.
So if they won't (or can't) make a good marketing campaign, at least we can...