Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax miniKD

In a reply to Ben's question about what a new K?D might look like/include, Regken commented that he wanted something smaller than the K100D...

Well, that reminded me of a fun little camera from Pentax's past.

What would everyone think of a digital version of the old 'Pentax Auto 110'. The logical name would be the "Pentax MiniKD1" They could probably shoehorn a decent sized sensor into that little body, dust off the lens designs, modernize them and have a sweet little jewel of a full-featured, interchangable lens mini-cam.

This would be great for those times when you want to be a little less conspicuous.

Mike

06-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh, I think it is a great idea (and recently said so in another thread). The Auto 110 was a good idea hindered by the tiny film size. A digital version would significantly reduce that limitation, resulting in much more usable images.

Such a camera would truly be unique in the compact point & shoot category, but might also appeal to more serious photographers seeking a compact with somewhat more advanced features - shooting modes, interchangable lenses, filters, external flash, and so on.

However, I doubt Pentax would be willing to take money away from other more mainstream projects to develop such a camera today. Which is perhaps not unreasonable given the relative success of those current mainstream products.

stewart
06-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A long time ago, I posted a question on the P&S forum about the ideal P&S camera,

I think that is where this really belongs, change the SLR to an Electronic ViewFinder (EVF) and put a really good, fast ~20-120mm equivelent lens, to make it the perfect travel camera.
06-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I'd love to see a version like Mike suggested.

The day that I got my DSLR is the last day that I touched my point and shoot. I like having full control. However I don't always have as much room as I'd like for a full sized camera and all the glass to go along with it.

If they did come it with it I hope that they make good quality glass for it.

06-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know it's unlikely that Pentax would build it but it would be nice. And the whole point would be for it to be a mini interchangable lens DSLR so leave the viewfinder on and maybe put on a tiny LCD for chimping. Otherwise its just another P&S of which there are thousands that would be smaller and easier to put in your pocket. As for glass, they should still have the plans for the original lenses. The only problem with that (now that I think of it) is that they'd have to use a 110 sized sensor... but it'd still be fun and useful.
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mike,

The size is right but from a marketing point of view I think it has to have the K mount. From a production point it has to be a K mount also. They can't afford to be producing another line of lenses. Besides, wouldn't you love to have that body with a DA 21 lens on it?

Regards,
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
True Ken... That'd be sweet, but that lens is bigger than the camera body. LOL heck, the k-mount is almost bigger than the body... Anyway, as it would be a very limited equipment set of lenses, I think they could get away with a mini K-mount. As I recall thats what the original had.

Moot point anyway since as you say, at this point they can't afford to get into another line of lenses (nor would HOYA be inclined to).

I'm actually looking for an old Auto 110 set to add to my collection (and yes, you can still buy 110 film). I've seen a couple of the cameras on ebay but havn't managed to win any auctions yet.

Mike
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Personally I'd love to see a version like Mike suggested.

The day that I got my DSLR is the last day that I touched my point and shoot. I like having full control. However I don't always have as much room as I'd like for a full sized camera and all the glass to go along with it.

If they did come it with it I hope that they make good quality glass for it.
Full control and P&S are not mutually exclusive. I have a K&$#K EVF camera with full apature and shutter control, both manual and auto ISO and white balance, it just has a very long, minimum focal length equivelent to 38mm, or double what I would want.

No, it is not a replacement for my *istD or K10D, but It does have over 5000 pictures on the counter, I use it for work mostly.

Ideal list for something like this, including my previous comments would be
- shake reduction,
- up to ISO800 minimum (1600 preferred),
- F2.8-F16 for the lens,
- 1:1 macro at some focal lentgh,
- 1/2000 for the shutter.
- 20-120 mm effective focal length it can go longer at high end but 20mm is a must
- 0.1 sec maximum shutter lag

06-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
The only problem with that (now that I think of it) is that they'd have to use a 110 sized sensor... but it'd still be fun and useful.
Not necessarily so. They could do a little tweaking of the glass and body to allow a slightly larger sensor. However, I don't know about the LCD. I don't remember that camera having a lot of room for something like that. Instead, they might figure out some intelligent way for the viewfinder to handle all tasks, forgetting an LCD altogether. If nothing else, a camera like this could be an interesting challenge for the designers (and a blast for us to play with).

stewart
06-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Full control and P&S are not mutually exclusive. I have a K&$#K EVF camera with full apature and shutter control, both manual and auto ISO and white balance, it just has a very long, minimum focal length equivelent to 38mm, or double what I would want.

No, it is not a replacement for my *istD or K10D, but It does have over 5000 pictures on the counter, I use it for work mostly.

- shake reduction,
- F2.8-F16 for the lens,
- 20-120 mm effective focal length it can go longer at high end but 20mm is a must
it's almost Sony R1, save for the speed (and size I guess)
06-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
- shake reduction,
- F2.8-F16 for the lens,

LOL. Well, you don't want much, do you? I don't see how anyone could get shake reduction in a camera that small, or F2.8 out of lenses that small (at least on anything beyond a normal to slight telephoto lens), and so on. Luckily, I suspect most would be satisfied with more modest performance in a tiny DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 06-11-2007 at 06:17 PM.
06-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think if Pentax makes this, it'll be good for a niche market, possibly those with DSLRs but want a smaller camera to carry around. DSLR shooters rarely, if ever, want to go back to a regular P&S, and a digital version of the Auto 110 would fit their needs.

Also, they could make it cheaper to buy glass for it and lure more people into the Pentax fold.

It's innovative, and would definitely get more people interested in Pentax. I reckon even the Nikon and Canon loyalists would take look.

Well, it's a long shot, but at least I got another good webpage to bookmark. Thanks for the heads-up Mike!
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A digital Auto 110 would be the ultimate travel kit. The beautiful thing about the whole concept is the fact that the new digital 4:3 standard uses a sensor with the same dimensions as 110 film. Pentax may not even have to retool the optics all that much.

Pentax could release a travel kit package that comes with the three lenses that came with the original. The best move would be to use the 4:3 mount. If they can not shoe horn in the 4:3 mount then just use the mount from the original design then sell it for what it would be the best travel kit out there.
06-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
LOL. Well, you don't want much, do you? I don't see how anyone could get shake reduction in a camera that small, or F2.8 out of lenses that small (at least on anything beyond a normal to slight telephoto lens), and so on. Luckily, I suspect most would be satisfied with more modest performance in a tiny DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

stewart
LOL eh?

My present EVF camera has F3.7-F8 lens 38-380 equivelent. and all I want is modest 120mm equivelent telephoto,

Shake reduction already exists as does full manual control. Hardest point would be shutter lag.

All the rest is doable NOW.
06-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just in case anyone misunderstood.

Pentax is NOT thinking about building this (that I know of).

Just an idea I had that was triggered by one of Ken's (regken) comments in another thread.