Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using older teleconverters on a K100D

Hi there.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use an older 35mm SLR-style 2X teleconverter with my K100D. I know I'll lose AF & automatic & program modes, but will the metering still work correctly in manual mode?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

12-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly. And if you remove the optical element you also have a manual extention tube.

H2
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Certainly. And if you remove the optical element you also have a manual extention tube.

H2
which, depening on the TC may be the best use
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
which, depening on the TC may be the best use
Agreed. Just to be clear - as any number of other threads on the subject point out, very few TC / lens combinations will actually produce better results than simply cropping the result from a lens without a TC. Plus of course you lose the two stops of light. With film, cropping was enough of a pain that the TC might have seemed worthwhile anyhow, but with digital, that's rarely true. Of course, there *are* some TC / lens combos that do work well - but I wouldn't be expecting to be lucky enough to own the right ones. By all means, do some testing to see.

12-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi guys.

Thanks for the info! I tried one of those 2X supplemental lenses that screw on the front of the lens (which was actually more like a 1.4X.) & the results were abysmal. Lots of purple fringing, lousy contrast... Yuck! I was better off just cropping the photo.

Maybe I'll just hold out for a longer lens...

Cheers,
Bob :-)