Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 or not to K7

I have read the great threads from K7 owners thanks. I am about to buy a K7 but am fearfull as I bought a *st DS in April of 2005 for about $1300 and the dealer tells me it is worth only about $100 for the body. Will the K7 be obsolete the day after I get it? Love all the features video etc. The camera is loaded with more features that I ever thought possible. Adjustible ISO down to 100 I had to change film to change ISO. My reputable dealer wants $1350 for the K7 body and then wants $100 for the 8GB memory card and $100 for the extra battery. If I get a battery grip that's another $280. $1800 + tax seams a bit steep if it becomes obsolete in a couple of years!? The money is not the biggest issue it is the obsolesence. Has any one any thoughts? Am I just getting caught up in the techno changes? I know the TV I bought 2 years back is now ready for the dust bin due to techno change.

12-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Inactive Account

welcome to technology

is you ist ds still working after 4 years? if so...then you don't really have anything to worry about. camera's are like cars...they are meant to be used.

c[_]
12-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
I have read the great threads from K7 owners thanks. I am about to buy a K7 but am fearfull as I bought a *st DS in April of 2005 for about $1300 and the dealer tells me it is worth only about $100 for the body. Will the K7 be obsolete the day after I get it? Love all the features video etc. The camera is loaded with more features that I ever thought possible. Adjustible ISO down to 100 I had to change film to change ISO. My reputable dealer wants $1350 for the K7 body and then wants $100 for the 8GB memory card and $100 for the extra battery. If I get a battery grip that's another $280. $1800 + tax seams a bit steep if it becomes obsolete in a couple of years!? The money is not the biggest issue it is the obsolesence. Has any one any thoughts? Am I just getting caught up in the techno changes? I know the TV I bought 2 years back is now ready for the dust bin due to techno change.
I don't know what prices are like in Canada, but some of your prices there seem a little steep. Currently a Class 6, 16 GB SD RAM Card on Amazon sells for about 40 US Dollars. A battery might set you back 45 or 50 dollars, but not 100. Currently Prodigital is selling K7's for about 1100 US Dollars NEW Pentax K-7 Digital SLR Camera 14.6MP 720p Video! - eBay (item 120490276655 end time Dec-07-09 13:33:08 PST)(they are based in Canada).

As far as cameras go, they hold value, but not forever and if you use them, they lose value faster. If you can imagine trying to sell a three year old computer now, you can imagine it is worth a fraction of what you paid for it. Get the K7, but not as an investment, but as something that will help you take great photos!
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I understand wanting to patronize a reputable dealer, but those prices are terrible...even in Canadian dollars. A quality, name-brand, high-performance 8GB card (like a SanDisk Extreme III) is $30 American at many online retailers. I can't imagine the prices are much different in Canada. Same for the battery. I bought a Pentax brand spare battery for my K-7 for just over $40 USD.

As for the obsolescence...you realize that the 4.5 years since you bought your DS isn't the same as "the day after you got it." Five years is nearly the same thing as "eternity" on a piece of consumer electronics. Look at the used market value of any other piece of electronics from that era. A 200 GB hard drive was over $200 in 2005. Now you can buy a 1 Terabyte drive for $80, and you'd be lucky to get enough for that old 200 GB to buy a beer.

Anyway, it's not going to be obsolete as long as it takes pictures you're happy with. It will work the same in five years as it does now. The only things that could happen to make it truly obsolete would be the disappearance of the "consumables" (memory and batteries) from the market, which won't happen for a while. SD cards certainly aren't going anywhere soon. And while it may be hard to find a Pentax original spare battery in five years, there will surely be a Chinese maker pumping out cheap replacements.

If your definition of "obsolete" is "there's something better on the market and now my item has no resale value", then you should reconsider ever buying any sort of electronics.

12-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I cannot justify anything new (bodies or lenses) apart from top grade lenses that hold value. Bodies lose about 60-70% of their value in 18 months. 20D's are going for under $600, is a k-7 worth another $800 to you that is the question.

To me no, i'll buy the k7 when it's closer to 600 and stay a generation behind.

YMMV.
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The k20d is a very good value right now. If you really want to be cost effective, then you'll always be picking up the model that is sunsetting. Now considering how long you had your other camera, I think you've done quite well. Many of us have been continually upgrading along the way.....
12-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a <any consumer electronic product> in April of 2005 for about $1300 and the dealer tells me it is worth only about $100
Will the <any consumer electronic product> be obsolete the day after I get it
Yes. This is exactly as true of digital cameras as of computers, televisions, printers, cell phones, etc.
12-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Your ist D is still good and although it's not much anymore, it's still a great piece of craftsmanship. Everything is always dropping in price, the K-7 already dropped in price, the K-x already dropped in price, and so on. I think I am going to use my K-7 for at least 5 years before upgrading now just to get the most out of my money. You bought your K-x 4 years ago... That's like 280 a year, it's up to you to decide whether that's worth the change or not. I bought my K-7 for 1050 and I want to use it for at least 5 years so it will be 200 bucks a year of usage.

I know exactly how you feel on a lot of things, cellphones, ipods, television, you name it. It can be rewarding for those who have money, but those who are on a budget suffer greatly. I really hate how Nintendo brought out like 5 versions of the Nintendo DS already using the same technology, they should've thought it out well the first time because there's no point... and for iPods, sheesh.... Not going to have to count how many they released, some having better improvement other than the other but it seems as if Apple is releasing a new version based off minor changes every time, they should at least wait it out and release them further apart with at least a decent amount of hardware changes; looks like they're just taking advantage over those zombie-headed high school kids who are always jumping on mommy's wallet for every new iPod that releases every 8 months.

Some companies are just plain greedy and know dumb consumers will buy every new version that has one little minor improvement every few months....

For Sony gaming systems, PS1, PS2, PS3, they all have a very good and long life-span, more companies need to focus on releasing technology just like them. Sure the PS3 was state of the art in graphics technology when it first released, now outdated by the PC, yet still it is supported just as much or even more than since it first came out... More companies need to do the same this way. They need to stop releasing so many DSLR's in so short of period.... There should be a law where they can't release a new replacement for their line-up for at least 4 years or so... That way companies will continue to support their DSLR's and even older models for even 3 years after it's release and stop trying to milk consumers for their monday. Sure it's competition that these companies are playing, but they can play the competition behind the scenes with eachother and release it out against eachother in 4 years instead of just playing cat and mouse because that's just ridiculous. Who do they think we are? We're not all rich ya know, it's hurting people who ain't rich...

12-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hay thanks. I'm still going to get the K7. Thanks for the info on the prices. The $1350 the dealer quoted seems a bit high compared to the US prices. Even with exchange. What warranty comes with the K7 in the US we have 2 yrs in Canada? Dealer also says that Pentax Canada will not honour the US bought camera. Where did you get the extra Lio battery and memory card?
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Gordz,

All pentax lens / cameras have at least a 1 year international warranty, that Pentax Canada will honour. If you buy a camera distributed by Pentax Canada, they extend that and give you a total of 2 years.

Please check out Prodigital2000 on ebay. They have the lowest online Canadian price and are an authorized dealer. I wonder if their price will drop further when their current buy-it-now auctions expire.